Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:46 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times

Advertisements

I think it can. Whenever I visit Houston, I get this unmistakable feeling that I am in the Southeast.

For one, the climate, ecology, and geography of Houston is not much different, if any, than what is seen in the rest of the coastal Southeast. Houston experiences the marine-influenced humid subtropical climate regime typical of the coastal Southeast, in cities such as New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, etc. Houston is quite lush like the mentioned Coastal South cities, with significant presence of pines, majestic live oaks, magnolias (Even one of Houston's nicknames is the "Magnolia City"), palmettos, spanish moss and other such archetypal Southeastern flora, and it can cultivate crops like citrus, rice, sugar cane, cotton, bananas, guava, and mangoes, along with Southeastern ornamental favorites like azaleas, camellias, and myrtles. On top of that, it contains the archetypal fauna, like alligators, green anoles, or ibises. Houston is part of the bayou country that stretches all the way to Mobile, AL, and down to South Florida. The city is located near the Gulf of Mexico, which is part of the Atlantic Ocean; so technically, Houston is Atlantic coast city in the South. Doesn't get anymore Southeastern than that.

Houston also seems Southeastern culturally. Barring the modern skyscrapers and cookie-cutter suburbs, the architecture seen in Houston really screams Southeastern to me. For instance, the "shotgun house"- style, which is featured prominently in New Orleans, and can be seen in places like Tampa, and Key West, can be found in many of Houston's historic wards, especially the Third Ward. Also, historic neighborhoods around Houston, such as Heights, or Old Sixth Ward, contain many homes which reflect architectural designs common in the Southeast, such as Victorian, Craftsman, or Double Gallery. Also, Houston has a strong African American presence, seen in not only the music, but also many neighborhoods, and the status of many blacks in the city, a key trait in many Southeastern cities. Houston may put on the annual rodeo show to show off "Texas Western" heritage, but the previous signature festival the city had was known as No-Tsu-Oh, which, in many ways, was a carnival-style celebration with inspirations from New Orlean's Mardi-Gras.

Because of the aforementioned elements, I feel that Houston is pretty much a Southeastern US city, even if it is west of the Mississippi. The same goes for other cities in the Eastern part of Texas, such as Galveston, Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Tyler. Even Dallas sort of gives off a Southeastern vibe if you look deep enough in the culture and history of the city. And if one considers the Mexican culture to be to South Texas as Cuban culture is to South Florida, then South Texas cities like Corpus Christi, and Brownsville can also be viewed as Southeastern US cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 04:53 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
Simple answer no. Just pull out your atlas and it will give you your answer.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:12 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times
I would consider Houston and New Orleans to be South Central.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:26 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
no. Especially Dallas and you're reaching with Corpus Christi and Brownsville. These are not Southeastern cities by any stretch.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:32 PM

309 posts, read 307,955 times
Maybe not southEAST, but to deny that Houston is in the south as a would be plain wrong. Definitely the western part of the south.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:01 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,926 times
No......

Old 06-28-2015, 09:44 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Simple answer no. Just pull out your atlas and it will give you your answer.
Cultural associations can defy simple geographic boundaries.

Much of Southeast Texas was settled by southerners, and East Texas is culturally similar to that of Louisiana. The reality is that Texas was a de facto "Southern state", especially since the political power was in the East, not West.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:45 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times
How bout A big fat NO! It is south. Leave at that.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:49 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
How bout A big fat NO! It is south. Leave at that.
Unless you mean "South Central" you would be agreeing with him... The meaning of "Southern United States" is in fact the Southeast of the country.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:26 AM

22 posts, read 28,140 times
Houston , in the year 2015, is a southern city on the gulf coast. It has a lot in common with mid to northern Florida cities along with a lot of a southern Georgia feel. Even though very westerly in the south, it still has southern roots , cowboy Texas roots, Mexican roots, and , nowadays an everything in between feel . The city also feels like its a cross between Savannah , Ga and Jacksonville, Fl with a general southern Florida feel in Galveston, a Tampa feel in the Bay area of Houston, an Orlando feel in the Sugarland /Sw area of town, an Atlanta /Jacksonville, Fl feel in the northern suburbs going to Lake Conroe and Lake Livingston. The central core of Houston feels like this Savannah /Jacksonville mix , which, to me is fantastic, combining the live oaks and southern oaks of historical Savannah with the palm trees of a Florida city. And , just for the record, Galveston is only 35 minutes from downtown Houston, with no traffic , but of course, there's always a traffic jam on south i 45, but without traffic , its 35 minutes. Why are people always saying its an hour....I live in Humble and it takes me an hour going 65 miles an hour at 65 miles away, It should be much less for people within 610 but people are always saying an hour. Galveston is very accessible to hwy 610 folks just as Tampa is to their beaches in Pinellas county but there is such a disconnect from Houston to Galveston that most people don't consider Houston a beach town yet the driving time from Tampa to their beaches is the same from Houston to Galveston beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston