Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,973,039 times

Advertisements

Glad it passed but I don't think it will be used all that much. I'll continue to carry concealed because I don't want to be a target or have my gun stolen. I suspect there will be a bunch of people open carrying at first but it will slow down once businesses figure out how they can prevent open carry on their premises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 08:50 AM

18,154 posts, read 25,377,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Campus carry will only allow people over 21 who are willing to go through the classes to carry. That requirement alone will eliminate 90% of college students.
You can eliminate 99.9% of them
Only takes one of them to have one, take it with him to a college party and only God knows what will happen after that.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:00 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,050,853 times
What type of guns are allowed? I certainly don't want to see AK or MP5 or Uzi when I am on the road or a mall .

Old 06-02-2015, 09:08 AM

26,203 posts, read 21,695,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Only takes one of them to have one, take it with him to a college party and only God knows what will happen after that.

It only takes one person to not follow the law in general which could cause a problem and really has nothing to do with campus carry or open carry

Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 AM

26,203 posts, read 21,695,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
What type of guns are allowed? I certainly don't want to see AK or MP5 or Uzi when I am on the road or a mall .
Chl is for semi auto handguns. I think you can open carry rifles in public iirc

Old 06-02-2015, 09:22 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,410,349 times
I see no reason a college campus should be any different than anywhere else.

If they meet the requirements, I see no problem with it.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,695,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
My guess is that 80% of the people I knew in apartments my last couple of years at UT had guns. I went to a lot of heavy drinking parties at apartments with guns, and never once did I see someone get po'd about the quarters game and start shooting.

When Texas was discussing having concealed carry, we kept hearing how it was going to turn into the wild west. It didn't happen. I also don't believe it will happen with open carry or campus carry either.

IHMO, a lot of people who are "scared" of guns are scared more when they think they'll be exposed to more guns. The thing is, they probably have no clue as to how many guns are already around them.

If people who legally use and carry guns had a problem with flipping out and shooting others, we'd see a whole lot of murders committed at shooting ranges. There is a reason you rarely hear of people being murdered at shooting ranges where you have loaded guns used by strangers every single day.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 AM

391 posts, read 426,612 times
I have no problem with anyone responsible enough to go through the CHL licensing procedure being able to carry their weapon on campus or anywhere else. These are the kind of folks you want to be armed.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:58 AM

18,154 posts, read 25,377,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My guess is that 80% of the people I knew in apartments my last couple of years at UT had guns. I went to a lot of heavy drinking parties at apartments with guns, and never once did I see someone get po'd about the quarters game and start shooting.
I saw it
and I was the "friend" that had to stop the gunnut (as fun as that is) from doing something he would regret.
I don't know if it was loaded or not, but I know it scared the s... out of everybody.

So I know exactly what is like to be in that situation.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:13 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,067,759 times
College students can be highly stressed out. Combine with often volatile romantic entanglements at that age. Combine with that being an age when disorders such as schizophrenia manifest. Combine with adderol and other drugs students use to stay awake and study.

I hope the next time a stressed out student, about to lose his financial aid because he's failing my class, shows up at my office to complain, he's not displaying a weapon. Those situations are tense enough already.

#wheresmypanicbutton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston