Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:20 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,645,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMGuy View Post
Yes. 4 hours difference.

Well that's not factual but please by all means continue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 05:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,138,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well that's not factual but please by all means continue
I think its already been established there's no room for facts in a gun control debate.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,261,597 times
Quote:
In most massacres including the ones at VA Tech and Newtown, the shooters used weapons that were legally obtained.
The Newton shooter used a rifle stolen from his mother and was too young under CT law to own handguns.

But there is one thing in common with all these mass shootings - they take place in "gun free zones".

Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,398,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Open carry actually makes you more of a target. You lose all element of surprise and tactical advantage by having your weapon exposed at all times.
I'll believe that when street cops conceal theirs.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,663,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
Open carry actually makes you more of a target. You lose all element of surprise and tactical advantage by having your weapon exposed at all times.
I plan to keep concealing; however, it's nice to know that if it's accidentally exposed, I won't have to deal with the hassle.

Quote:
In most massacres including the ones at VA Tech and Newtown, the shooters used weapons that were legally obtained.

And, University Administrators, Faculty, Campus Law Enforcement, Students and parents didn't want this. It's just the legislature bowing to the influence of the gun lobby.

Lunacy.
How well did those gun free zones work in VA Tech and Newtown? Did the laws prevent those shootings?

Can't we just pass a law against murdering people at schools?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:26 PM

498 posts, read 838,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I'll believe that when street cops conceal theirs.
It would be pointless for a uniformed officer to conceal their firearm if they're still uniform. Ever seen an undercover officer open carry?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,729,313 times
I'm OK with the open carry law because no one but a few goofballs are going to do it. Working on a college campus, I'd rather not have to deal with it, but I hear that most campuses will just impose their own rules over the state rules (this is allowed in the legislation). In general, I think of the idea of carrying a gun around as something that is more of a part of a middle-aged male fantasy than anything else. It's unlikely that even in the most ideal of scenarios a gun small enough to carry concealed will actually protect you and also critically injure some bad guy without injuring any bystanders. I'd say it's more likely that you'll accidentally injure yourself, an innocent bystander or someone you mistake for a bad guy than an actual bad guy. That being said, there are some people who are frequently in dangerous situations who can benefit from having a gun with them.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:38 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,645,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
. It's unlikely that even in the most ideal of scenarios a gun small enough to carry concealed will actually protect you and also critically injure some bad guy without injuring any bystanders. I'd say it's more likely that you'll accidentally injure yourself, an innocent bystander or someone you mistake for a bad guy than an actual bad guy. That being said, there are some people who are frequently in dangerous situations who can benefit from having a gun with them.

This is simply ignorant beyond recognition.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:56 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,510,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I have my chl but am opposed to open carry. I don't think guns have any place on a college campus. The average young student is still learning about life and the common sense and maturity havent totally kicked in for a lot of them. Potential for irrational behavior in the ages up to 25 is too great in a college setting.
I'm non-committal on the issue, but why the disdain for the "average young student"? Is this projection on your part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Gun owner, but not a fan of this. Schools, bars, sporting events should be gun free. I'm not as worried about the carriers, more some nut that may try to grab one from a relatively inexperienced carrier.
I'm pretty sure that most places that serve alcohol won't be allowing guns inside. I'm also pretty sure that even an "inexperienced carrier" has been tutored in class on not letting that gun get loose. Hey, it may happen, but you're also assuming that a "nut" has any idea of their target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
IHMO, a lot of people who are "scared" of guns are scared more when they think they'll be exposed to more guns. The thing is, they probably have no clue as to how many guns are already around them.

If people who legally use and carry guns had a problem with flipping out and shooting others, we'd see a whole lot of murders committed at shooting ranges. There is a reason you rarely hear of people being murdered at shooting ranges where you have loaded guns used by strangers every single day.
Right. It's no different than sex offenders and proximity to schools or our "lack of zoning" mentioned the other day and that somehow strip clubs and bars are sitting next to elementary schools. It's just not that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
College students can be highly stressed out. Combine with often volatile romantic entanglements at that age. Combine with that being an age when disorders such as schizophrenia manifest. Combine with adderol and other drugs students use to stay awake and study.

I hope the next time a stressed out student, about to lose his financial aid because he's failing my class, shows up at my office to complain, he's not displaying a weapon. Those situations are tense enough already.

#wheresmypanicbutton
What? I thought college was the best 4-8 years ever for students? I'm pretty sure they're more resilient than you are giving them credit for. Projection? Besides, I don't believe one "F" loses financial aid. Now, if a student is failing all their classes and needs to drop, then you might have a point and they need to get lost, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Just because someone carries legal doesn't mean they don't want to harm anyone. Undiagnosed unbalanced people can carry legal too.
Thankfully, research has proven that CHL owners are less prone to violence than your average person.

I doubt someone who is off kilter is going to dance through the hoops that getting a CHL requires.

Concealed Carry Permit Holders are One Third as Likely to Commit Murder as Police Officers

Old 06-03-2015, 11:05 PM

960 posts, read 2,752,987 times
Unwise. My tongue can make your gun utterly useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston