Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,033,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
The last time Houston really had a rainfall like this (besides hurricane IKE) was tropical storm Allison 14 years ago. You can't tell me that's the norm for this city. I remember when Ike occurred and 288 was underwater. I kid you not, it was back to normal by that evening.
Ike wasn't considered a heavy rain hurricane. It rained but it moved through. These rains are those lingering type more like Allison where it just hangs over us on already saturated ground. Ike blew through very fast and didn't even flood all the usual areas inside the loop. Most hurt by Ike were coastal areas and more wind damage in Houston than water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,662,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Rather live in the Northeast!

Houses are still there after the snow.

Good luck there

The ne has taken more tropical storm/hurricanes the last few years than we have

Old 05-27-2015, 12:17 PM

352 posts, read 779,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Difference is flooding in South Florida doesn't last for days or damage homes! That only happens in hurricanes. South Florida has a excellent system of canals to drain off the daily torrential thunderstorms during the summer. Houston doesn't and I would say that has more to do with your conservative State Government not wanting to "waste" money on infrastructure spending.
They would rather put up another business to put cash in their pockets than put a retention pond to help the needs of the many trying to get to work.

The entire infastructure of Houston is screwed up

Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,673,298 times
Quote:
Difference is flooding in South Florida doesn't last for days or damage homes! That only happens in hurricanes. South Florida has a excellent system of canals to drain off the daily torrential thunderstorms during the summer. Houston doesn't and I would say that has more to do with your conservative State Government not wanting to "waste" money on infrastructure spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
They would rather put up another business to put cash in their pockets than put a retention pond to help the needs of the many trying to get to work.

The entire infastructure of Houston is screwed up
Do either of you believe the state should be in charge of local drainage issues?

Old 05-27-2015, 03:38 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,932,472 times
Quote:
This flooding event in Houston did not last for "days;" the water in a lot of places was gone right by the afternoon. The homes in and of themselves were never really damaged at all either.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:52 PM

226 posts, read 285,355 times
Why is Florida even mentioned in this?

Old 05-27-2015, 07:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,923,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by land161 View Post
Why is Florida even mentioned in this?
Because it has severe hurricanes and daily thunderstorms, it is a fair comparison.

However, there are several important differences. The soil is clay in Houston, limestone in Florida so Florida drains better. Also, they don't put underground parking garages in Florida. I'm not sure why they did that for the Galleria. If you do such a thing, you better have incredible pumps.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:15 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,835,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
...It's why gardeners have to use "loose" soil from elsewhere, because water doesn't easily go through the dense, gummy gumbo.
This is sort off the topic but since we've been talking about Houston's soil which is mostly clay, here's a good tip for gardening.

Clay is actually good soil for plants. It holds nutrient well for plants. As everyone already mentioned, clay won't absorb water. An inexpensive way for gardening with clay soil is to mix it with hummus or a combination of humus & compost. A 50/50 mixture should work fine (50% clay + 50% humus/compost).

I normally buy whatever is on sale or least expensive, usually around $2.00 for a 40 lb. bag at Lowe's. I haven't lost any plant/trees using the above mixture.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:23 PM

18,144 posts, read 25,346,422 times
All I'm asking is for the highways to not flood

Old 05-27-2015, 08:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,304,323 times
I was happy to see most of the streets drain so quickly within a day or two so the real question for me is why does Houston streets drain so quickly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston