Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,017 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll,

I am relocating from San Diego to Houston in June. I will be working at a hospital in Northeast near the airport. I have been looking online for an apartment to rent but I am so scared by all the reviews that I have been reading. My plan is to narrow down on areas online so that I will just come and scout for an apartment on specific areas. I have been to Houston twice and the traffic was terrible. So far I am thinking of Clear lake or Cypress but the drive to work is gonna be crazy. Woodlands is good but seems expensive. I have checked out some apartments online in Kingwood, Atascocita and Humble but I have read a lot of reviews on apartment and car break ins, parking lot fights over parking space, etc. I would really like to live close to work but I can't seem to identify anything "safe" per the reviews online. My budget is 900 - 1100 for a 2 bed, 2 bath, washer/dryer or hook ups with 2 parking spots. I am open to all your input, ideas etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 04:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,960,395 times
If your budget for an apartment is $1100 I'm afraid you'd go broke on gas if you lived in Clear Lake.
Look closer to your job. That's all I got.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:10 PM

219 posts, read 300,131 times
Kingwood is still nice. It's a massive masterplanned community just like The Woodlands and has everthing you need inside it. The problem with Kingwood is it' sits on the edge of the city of Humble and once you go outside of Kingwood, you are in the ghetto of Humble. It's not Compton, but it's not very nice. The Humble cops are pretty busy and Deerbrook Mall is all hood rats fighting over new Jordans.

Atascosita may be worth a look. I have not been out that far in years.

Humble is pure ghetto. Scratch that off the list of ideas unless you don't mind some ghetto drama in your life. Here's some ghetto rats fighting in Deerbook Mall which is the major mall in Humble. Even if you live in Kingwood, this will be your mall unless you want to drive to The Woodlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8czvikkikpE

Clear Lake is way to far to commute. You are looking at 1.5 hour probably each way.

The Woodlands area is a good choice. I don't see it being any more expensive than other parts of town. Prices will be higher for nicer areas and complexes around Houston.

Cypress is good, but again on the far side. I live not far from there and it takes me 1.5 hours to get to Bush Airport, and that's in the middle of the day with no traffic. Good news is they are building the Grand Parkway (tollroad) which would make it a pretty easy commute. But I don't know when the section connecting Cypress and Humble will be finished. My guess is another year.

Post some apartments you might be looking at and people can give the area thumbs up or thumbs down.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the ideas and the video (lol) for sure I don't wonna deal with that.

I was leaning more on cypress but now I am scared after you stated your drive to the airport without traffic is 1.5 hours. That is going to be my route coz my job is by the airport.

How is Crosby, Channelview and Deerpark area? Is it safe and is that commute manageable?

Old 05-08-2015, 11:59 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,212,826 times
You would be better off upping the budget a little and living in The Woodlands or a nice apartment community in Kingwood - rather than spending $1100 and using a lot of money in gas to get to anywhere else. It would actually save money and a whole lot of time in commuting.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashapatra View Post
Thanks for the ideas and the video (lol) for sure I don't wonna deal with that.

I was leaning more on cypress but now I am scared after you stated your drive to the airport without traffic is 1.5 hours. That is going to be my route coz my job is by the airport.

How is Crosby, Channelview and Deerpark area? Is it safe and is that commute manageable?

What I think is ghetto, you may not so I don't know. So, I'm picking out upper middle class white folk areas. These will all be in the far out suburbs. This is going to be Kingwood, The Woodlands, Cypress, Katy, Sugarland. Atascocita was really nice about 20 years ago. I have not been there since so I don't know if its changed any but may be worth a good look. There's some patches here and there that are not bad like Tomball and such also.

Channelview, Deerpark and Crosby are pretty shady industrial type towns. I would scratch that (maybe you don't mind that? I don't know). I personally would not go to that part of town without a gun. Not to mention they are pretty far from the airport. I know Houston does not look big on a map, but when you hit the road you realize how big it is and traffic can get nasty.

Cypress is good, but the drive to the airport is a bit of a drive, even with no traffic. Not sure how long of a commute you are willing to tolerate.

If you want to be close to the airport, your best bet might be inside Kingwood, Atascocita, or The Woodlands.

I would not pay much attention to apartment reviews about people fighting over parking or car break ins. Every apartment I lived in had those issues. It comes with the territory of apartment life no matter how fancy the apartment in Houston.

If you come to apartment hunt and want to be close to work, Kingwood, Atascosita and The Woodlands are the 3 places I would start. From inside Kingwood, your commute would only be about 15 minutes or so to the airport area. Nothing wrong with inside Kingwood, it's just outside in the City of Humble where the saggy pants and gold spinning rims are. But that's 70% of Houston.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:06 AM

Wow, thanks guys, I really appreciate all your feedback. I think the plan now is to up my budget and look into Kingwood, Atascocita and Woodlands. Please keep the ideas coming. As I said I am gonna be new in this town so I have just been making decisions based on maps, reviews etc but I believe you are all in the best place to give me the real information coz you have lived there and you know the area. @ Rockinar, thanks for pointing out those areas as ghetto, I didn't realize that I was just virtually walking on the map looking around.

Please if any of you have any ideas of nice apartments in those areas you can post the links here. Thanks. I appreciate.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:10 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,212,826 times
Google "apartment locator Kingwood". Call a couple until you find one you like. It's a free service and they know the apartments well. They actually get paid by the apartment community, but they like referrals, so it is to the locator's benefit to help you get into the best community for the price.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashapatra View Post
Wow, thanks guys, I really appreciate all your feedback. I think the plan now is to up my budget and look into Kingwood, Atascocita and Woodlands. Please keep the ideas coming. As I said I am gonna be new in this town so I have just been making decisions based on maps, reviews etc but I believe you are all in the best place to give me the real information coz you have lived there and you know the area. @ Rockinar, thanks for pointing out those areas as ghetto, I didn't realize that I was just virtually walking on the map looking around.

Please if any of you have any ideas of nice apartments in those areas you can post the links here. Thanks. I appreciate.

Anything INSIDE Kingwood would not be a bad place to start looking. Kingwood was originally built in the early 70's so there may be some older complexes in there with lower rent as well as newer ones with higher rent. Same thing with The Woodlands.

As mentioned, when you come into town you might want to get with an apartment locator. They are free. They get a commission if you sign a lease. So their help is no cost to you, and they should know all the complexes in the area since that's all they do.

What's your budget? How many bedrooms you want?

Old 05-09-2015, 08:27 PM

483 posts, read 656,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post

What's your budget? How many bedrooms you want?
Instead of instantly bashing most anywhere in the Houston area(like you have done on dozens of other posts) You could try READING the OP's original post.
She stated she wanted a 2 bed/2 bath for 900-1100 a month.

OP - Apartment reviews are generally only left by people who have a chip on their shoulder. I've, as well as friends, have lived in several complexes with no-so-good reviews. Most of them are fine save for a few that are actually nasty/dangerous.

Apartment locators have been very helpful every time we have moved, as others have said, they are free and generally very helpful(we even had one schedule us an awesome lunch place between visits)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston