Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:10 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,441,710 times

Advertisements

I dropped Dish years ago, use Roku with Hulu and Netflix for TV and I have wowtv.sx app on Roku also for cheap live TV. I use a friends ESPN and NBCSN occasionally, wowtv has all I need in that regard though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 AM

804 posts, read 1,080,972 times
I haven't had any problems with uverse. they may not be the cheapest unless you call and complain.i used to have dish and it was cr@p. couldn't ever fix the darn channel menu. they act like no one ever uses that feature.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,174,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Had and loved DirecTV for over a decade, but they lost their minds with pricing in the last 18 months or so. Rates went up and up and up, and the fees to add additional TVs were out of control. I finally had enough when they told me I had to pay for a tech to come out to activate a box on an already wired outlet or I wouldn't be able to get TV in that room. Enough was enough.

Just switched to X1 by Comcast in the last month and love it. They've improved A LOT from what I saw from them even just a couple of years ago. They also have crazy deals for the first year of service. The tech showed up on time, was very courteous and the follow up calls were also pleasant. There are some really cool geeky things you can do with X1 that I couldn't with DirecTV as well. Other than that, it's pretty much more of the same except if I need to add another TV I know I can just go get a box from a local Comcast store and not have the BS I had with DirecTV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I love my DTV, but I agree that prices have gone crazy. It really bugs me to pay for channels that I would never watch.

Honestly, I watch the local news, national news channels, HGTV, Discovery and the mostly Apple TV, for my Netflix, PBS, etc. I think HBO is the pioneer going to app, so people can build their own channel list.I hate HBO, but I'd pay 4 bucks a month per app that shows live programming for the few channels I watch. My bill would be less than 50 a month.
I agree, love Direc TV. Never had any problems with them, customer service is top notch. But they have been getting ridiculous with their prices latey.(I think its because they added that Root sports channel). I wish they would go with a A la carte type payment system were you only pay for the channels you want.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:30 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,782,671 times
I love directv. Been a customer for 10 years. I agree with others that it is expensive but I feel it is money well spent. Being from Chicago originally NFL Sunday ticket, NHL and MLB packages allows me to watch my teams whenever I want. For us it is a must have and the reason we have been and will be directv customers. Another reason we originally switched was because the quality of pay per view boxing was better on Directv at the time. I don't recall why this was though.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:45 AM

18,159 posts, read 25,394,869 times
I love my little antenna that gives me free TV and saves me $100/month

Old 05-07-2015, 02:54 PM

40 posts, read 50,283 times
I have Directv and love it. I'm a long time customer and call in periodically(1-2 times a year) to get either a discount or free package. They always have perks available. It's especially effective when you're out of contract but you can usually get something even while under contract. Last time I called they gave me NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass and 4 months of movie channels for free, $20/mo in discounts for a year, new satellite box and rewiring and a $100 gift card. The only bad thing is the picture going out when it rains. Luckily that hasn't happened very often.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:09 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,449,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlady1 View Post
I have Directv and love it. I'm a long time customer and call in periodically(1-2 times a year) to get either a discount or free package. They always have perks available. It's especially effective when you're out of contract but you can usually get something even while under contract. Last time I called they gave me NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass and 4 months of movie channels for free, $20/mo in discounts for a year, new satellite box and rewiring and a $100 gift card. The only bad thing is the picture going out when it rains. Luckily that hasn't happened very often.
This is what we do. I love DirecTV, and until there's an easy-to-use alternative that Comcast can't crap on the picture quality of, I will stick with them.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:01 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,837,617 times
If you hate them, here's another option...

I have a roof antenna and love it! I don't have to pay anyone monthly nor deal with their customer services. In other words, no cost (other than an antenna) and no headache.

OTA (over the air) channels are no longer what they used to be during analog time. They're better and so many more channels are available in this digital age. I get true high definition channels, no streaming. In Houston, we can pick up about 70 channels or more over the air. For me, that's plenty for entertainment.

Unfortunately, many of the young ones today have no idea what a roof antenna or free TV viewing is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston