Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 01:42 AM

370 posts, read 616,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
I have lived in Paris for a couple of years. Not sure where she lives, but ask her if she does any of these things when she doesn't have people visiting, and I'm sure the answer would be, "none." Those are things tourists do, so while its cool to you, its very ho hum to the people that live there. To Parisians, life is get up, get on the metro in 20° weather, go to work, come home, and do it all over again the next day. They can't wait to get out of there and visit some place else either.

Seems to me like someone with your attitude would not be happy anywhere for too long, and if you can't find a nice fresh meal here, then honestly, you don't know what the hell you're doing.
not to mention the quality of life. who wants to live in a 30 sq metered box? (approx 300 sq ft) why would I want that. people constantly complain about the congestion and claustrophobia there and how they envy the 'space' in North America (unless you're talking to the nationalistic frenchmen, they have alot of pride on the other hand and just enjoy the suffering. dont get me wrong though, the vacation days and health system are excellent, but other than i'm not impressed). who wants to pay 9 euros for a baguette with 2 extremely thin slices of turkey, 1 random tomato wedge, 1 small slice of cheese? why would i want to PAY to use a public restroom? OP made valid points? get out of here. don't get me started on the other cities you named. this guy put Florence and Houston in the same sentence -.-

Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 AM

264 posts, read 444,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc p View Post
Houston will never ever be New York or Paris. Get over it. Those are are global cities and are of a different era and nothing could possibly match up. Cities aren't built that way anymore. Those are a handful of cities (add London and Tokyo) out of the thousands of cities out there. I have traveled a lot and Houston is much better than the vast majority of cities out there.

I personally think Houston has just as much fun as any other city of its size in America. And no I'm never thinking - ugh, it always feels good to be home!! The people here are kind and that makes it a nice place imo!
This. I think what the OP wants is an effortless city. A city where you step out your door and a whole ambience unfolds. Houston is not that city and all your complaining is not going to change that. It's not a London or Paris where you can just wander through the streets and feel like you are soaking up culture. Houston is not like like that and that's okay. Yes, you have to put more effort into finding and getting to entertainment, but it is there like so many posters have replied. In fact, I'm going to take up some of their suggestions.

I kind of understand where the OP is coming from when you return from a trip. When I got off my plane at IAH, it's, yep, this is definitely Houston. It is slightly depressing on the drive home on beltway 8 but then I arrive to my home and the realization that day to day living is easy and pretty darn good here.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:25 AM

34,618 posts, read 21,759,976 times
Every now and then, we have a visitor here that is wealthy and needs some assistance in some form.

You have the guy who wanted to buy a mansion and live like Entourage with his buddies and the one who wanted to buy a warehouse to make into the loft to have all the parties. I've seen similar posts in the Austin section and the Dallas section.

I really believe many of them are the same person hoping to be the "cool rich person" like the ones he sees on tv. Since he can't roll up to the club in the $200k car, he comes onto forums and pretends to be the well traveled wealthy guy wanting to be the center of attention.

If he is truly wealthy and is in the O&G business in Houston, he would know about our restaurants and arts. He would be attending the galas that go on throughout the year. He'd know about some of the higher end (IMHO) wine tastings and dinner pairings. There are a whole bunch of "big worldly city" events occurring in Houston that are outside of my price range that I know about. Why wouldn't a wealthy Houston O&G businessman know of these?

"Ian", go to Google images, finds some photos of private jets, Bentley's and high end resorts and head on over to Twitter. I'm sure you can build a fan base there.

Sorry if I am being a little too honest about what I feel is going on here.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:01 AM

960 posts, read 2,760,661 times
Actually, when I think of moving up to New York or Pennsylvania, I'm thinking - ugh! Grey skies, bundling up, and shoveling snow.

Houston is more of a working city rather than a tourist destination. I think it's unfair to compare Houston to all the fabulous tourist cities you mentioned. But there are many other cities and towns that are far worse than Houston.

Seems like we do more social and recreational activities over sight-seeing in Houston. It also helps if you live in the right area of the city.

Last edited by Bike4Life; 02-12-2015 at 09:11 AM..

Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM

154 posts, read 180,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian K. View Post
Whenever I go to NYC, London, LA, Paris, San Francisco, Florence, DC, Boston, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, hell..even Austin, I come back and think "ugh". This city has no personality at all and isn't nice looking compared to nearly every major city.
This is pretty much how I feel as well. Every trip makes me more and more motivated to move...

Old 02-12-2015, 08:50 AM

34,618 posts, read 21,759,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
It also helps if you live in the right area of the city.
There is no "right" area of the city when talking about entertainment, fun or personality in general.

Now, if we are talking about specific areas of entertainment, fun or personality, that's a different matter.

I believe the Clear Lake area offers a lot of entertainment, fun and personality. But it's a different type than what you would find in Montrose, as an example. Montrose will have the "walkable neighborhood" feel that is close to museums, cafes and unique restaurants. Clear Lake will have that "coastal" feel with sailing, fishing, seafood markets and Kemah (Kemah the town not Kemah the boardwalk).

If I had to choose between living in Clear Lake or Montrose, I would choose Clear Lake. The idea of having a sail boat to head out onto the bay, hitting the seafood markets to have backyard cookouts and drinking beer while looking out over the water is appealing. Others would rather live in Montrose and enjoy biking to the Japanese Garden in Hermann Park, attending events at the Menil and doing the pub crawls.

I chose to live on Lake Houston in order to enjoy the type of activities that appeal to me. When I want to go to a play or a special restaurant, I'll drive into town.

Houston offers a lot to a wide range of people, and people's preferences vary greatly.

The bottom line is that there is no "right place" in Houston to live for everyone, but Houston has a lot to offer those who choose to find what appeals to them.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:56 AM

672 posts, read 855,223 times
Quote:
Yes, cities like that are expensive and not for everyone.

I'm happy you like living in Atascocita. There are people content w/ living in Detroit too and wouldn't trade it for even Monaco so you're entitled to your opinion. Want to hear mine? I would rather just jump off of the highest cliff in Grand Canyon than live in Atascocita. How on earth do you manage in such a hick environment? What do you eat? Where do you shop? Ugh.

There is certainly someplace for everyone out there.
You have apparently never been to the Atascocita/Humble/Kingwood area if you think that this area is Hicksville with nowhere to eat or shop. Or maybe the last time that you were here was over 10 years ago...I don't know, but your idea of what this area is like is very wrong.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:19 AM

469 posts, read 1,106,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrotriton View Post
He wasn't inflammatory. He didn't make any personal attacks or accusations against anybody. Pride has no redeeming qualities, no need for people to be so defensive over a city.
Personally I don't find NYC much different than Houston, same kinda culture, roughly same types of things to do, just bigger... and colder.
If you act like a troll, you are going to get heat back at you. His first ever post was "your city is ugly and sucks". That is typical troll behavior. If he came on here and said he has visitors coming in and doesn't know what to do in this city, he would have gotten more responses like Meyerland's.

He then proceeded to call Houstonians poor and areas of town that someone had on their profile as Hicksville. That's not going to get you too many friends here.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:07 AM

15 posts, read 23,203 times
Quote:
Whenever I go to NYC, London, LA, Paris, San Francisco, Florence, DC, Boston, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, hell..even Austin, I come back and think "ugh". This city has no personality at all and isn't nice looking compared to nearly every major city.
I'm not from Houston, but can't seem to stay away. The last time I moved back in 08' (from Chicago), I thought - thank you, Houston for the job market and affordable home prices - near good schools. These aspects are the foundation of my ability to provide a good life to my family that was much more difficult everywhere else. Oddly, I also appreciate the highways. When I miss my exit, I just drive up to the next one and circle back around. I remember missing my exit once in the Chicago area and not being able to get off the highway until I reached the Indiana border some 30 miles later (that means I had to drive 60+ extra miles). I remember thinking, what ?*&^%#? idiot designs a highway like this?!?!?!

There are many things I simply cannot stand about the South, Texas, and Houston, but you've gotta keep it in perspective. Your livelihood in Houston likely provides or contributes to the lifestyle that enables you the freedom to visit and appreciate all of these great cities.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:50 PM

766 posts, read 1,262,091 times
I've been to the great cities like New York, London, and Paris.... but I don't think I can ever settle down somewhere else besides Texas. I like having a big, new beautiful house inside the city and being able to afford it. You really can't find that in a place like New York unless you're a millionaire. My quality of life is high here and all my the important people in my life are here. Why move somewhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston