Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 02:49 PM

672 posts, read 847,445 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in NYC and have been here for 2 years....first time I went back, as soon as I walked out of Laguardia Airport, I said "ugh, can't wait to get back to Houston"! LOL

Old 02-11-2015, 02:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian K. View Post
That's not so easy. Many people have jobs TIED to this city.
This was you replying to why you stayed in Houston. Then in the next post you say.

Quote:
I was going to tell you to go check yourself into a mental institute but then I remember not everyone can afford to live in a premier, prestigious world city. I get it. Hard for the poor. I can though, so my views are different.
You contradict yourself radically in these two post. In the first quote you say you are tied to a job in poor pathetic Houston, in the second quote you claim you can afford the worldly charms that New York City has to offer. Which is it?

As for your out of town guest take em to the Museum district, take em to JSC in Clear Lake, and if they are coming before Mardi Gras ends take them to "ugly" ole Galveston for the celebration and some huge fresh Gulf shrimp....

Old 02-11-2015, 03:00 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You contradict yourself radically in these two post. In the first quote you say you are tied to a job in poor pathetic Houston, in the second quote you claim you can afford the worldly charms that New York City has to offer. Which is it?

As for your out of town guest take em to the Museum district, take em to JSC in Clear Lake, and if they are coming before Mardi Gras ends take them to "ugly" ole Galveston for the celebration and some huge fresh Gulf shrimp....
I've lived in lots of places "cooler" than Houston and I still love it here.

There is a great ballet of Romeo and Juliet coming up soon. Monet exhibit is at MFAH. Go to that great restaurant at Discovery Green. "the Grove"

Take them for a pub crawl. If that is too high brow for them. There are bikes for a "pedal party". So much fun.
Pedal Party - The Pedal Powered Party

If that's too much work Party buses are sooooo much fun. They drive you around and wait while you go eat and drink at various spots. You need a pretty big group though.

If you are adventurous eaters go to Underbelly.
WE LOVE UNDERBELLY! - Review of Underbelly, Houston, TX - TripAdvisor

Go shopping in Harwin if they want bargains, and eat authentic Vietnamese food. ( some have really authentic dishes like chicken feet...)

heck get Saris and go eat at an Indian restaurant.they have some really beautiful ones near Harwin.

Go shopping in River Oaks if the are chichi people and then go eat at one of the great steak places.

I've done a million things in Houston, and I've got a million more I have yet to do.

Last edited by Meyerland; 02-11-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 03:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Please don't make suggestions that could jeopardize the good times of others who are visiting our city.

The last thing we want is this popping up Tripadvisor:

"We were having a great time at the Menil Collection, but then this group came in and kept loudly talking about how great New York and Paris were. They never even seemed to look at any of the art. They just kept whining about Houston being boring. We enjoy other cities as well and love New York and Paris, but the nonstop griping as loud as could be made our time quite miserable. Why couldn't they just stay home."

Old 02-11-2015, 03:05 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couimet1 View Post
LOL, do you know whats funny? I live in NYC, and the few times I came back from Houston,TX. I'm thinking Ugh, i gotta come back to NYC !

Thats why I'm moving to Houston, TX and NYC can be nothing but a bad memory.
I know, right?? Although if I am ever able to make the move back to Texas, I will probably go someplace slower and smaller than Houston.... whenever I have to leave to back up here, I get soooo depressed.....

Quote:
I was going to tell you to go check yourself into a mental institute but then I remember not everyone can afford to live in a premier, prestigious world city. I get it. Hard for the poor. I can though, so my views are different.
You sound like you are well set to live anyplace you please.......

Quote:
This was you replying to why you stayed in Houston. Then in the next post you say.

you noticed that, too, huh??

Old 02-11-2015, 03:09 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Please don't make suggestions that could jeopardize the good times of others who are visiting our city.

The last thing we want is this popping up Tripadvisor:

"We were having a great time at the Menil Collection, but then this group came in and kept loudly talking about how great New York and Paris were. They never even seemed to look at any of the art. They just kept whining about Houston being boring. We enjoy other cities as well and love New York and Paris, but the nonstop griping as loud as could be made our time quite miserable. Why couldn't they just stay home."

Sorry Pedro, you are absolutely right...! Just habit to try to help I guess

Old 02-11-2015, 03:15 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
OP, some of the New Yorkers I know have never visited the MET or Radio City and have seen maybe just 1 Broadway show. They also think waiting in line for culinary inventions like cronuts or ramen burgers is stupid and have no interest in taking Learning Annex courses taught by real celebrities. It should not be that hard to see why some of these people would be happier in Houston. They are paying a premium (higher cost, more crowded street and noise) for things that have no appeal to them.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 10,845 times
Quote:

Jack, I work in oil & gas. How on earth could I continue my work from Manhattan or Paris?

I am wealthy, yes, but most of my wealth is tied to an industry that happens to be based in...*drumroll*...Houston!

Old 02-11-2015, 03:24 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Accept the good with the bad and carry on. Negativity doesn't help.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 10,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Born and raised in NYC and have been here for 2 years....first time I went back, as soon as I walked out of Laguardia Airport, I said "ugh, can't wait to get back to Houston"! LOL
Yes, cities like that are expensive and not for everyone.

I'm happy you like living in Atascocita. There are people content w/ living in Detroit too and wouldn't trade it for even Monaco so you're entitled to your opinion. Want to hear mine? I would rather just jump off of the highest cliff in Grand Canyon than live in Atascocita. How on earth do you manage in such a hick environment? What do you eat? Where do you shop? Ugh.

There is certainly someplace for everyone out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston