Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,511 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move into one of these 3 areas, based on the location of my job and daughter's day care. I have looked at some of the data online, but not quite sure how accurate it is and I was told to stay clear of the Cy-Fair area. I'm basically looking for a 2 BR apt/house for rent with a budget around $1100. Are these 3 areas pretty safe to live in? I'm not from this area, and have only lived here about a year. I was living in the Humble area and looking to move from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 03:10 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,835,799 times
It really depends on where within these zip codes. There's areas within the zip codes that you provided that are less desirable than parts of zip codes you were told to avoid, so I don't think going off of zip code alone is a detailed enough description to accurately go by. You'd probably do better off getting advice about specific areas of these zip codes, say around neighborhoods or major intersections. The truth is that it all really depends. In all the northern school districts, there are some 'winner' schools and 'loser' schools, that are all within the same districts as one another, and there's not always a whole lot of rhyme or reason as to which ones are which. There are schools to be desired and schools to avoid in CFISD, TISD or KISD.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:23 PM

292 posts, read 551,516 times
I am in 77429. What do you want to know about it? I can't answer you r apt question since I don't live in one and not familiar with the apartment market in the area. but as for schools, CFISD has some of the best schools in the state a well as some that are average. but overall, CFISD is a very good school district,

Old 11-13-2014, 08:45 AM

58 posts, read 93,526 times
I live in the 77379 area and I also moved from the Humble area after only being in Houston for a year. I live in Memorial Northwest area and have been living here almost exactly 2 years. My girls go to a private pre-k here in the area and it has been a very good experience for us. Don't know much about the appt. rental market around here, but there are some nice apts (at least from the outside they seem to be nicer) in the area. Cypresswood and near 249 has a few as well as in the Vintage area near 249 has some as well that seem nice; don't know the price range, but they should be in the 1100-1300 range (I would think) for a 2-3bed.

As far as safety is concerned, I've had no issues in regards to feeling safe in my area. I will say that there is no police department presence in my area besides the Klein High School PD, but I do see county police every now in then. The schools in my area are highly rated (primary reason we moved in area). We bought our home in late 2011 just before the values in the area started to appreciate, so we have already seen the value of our home go up over 10% in just under two years, but our property taxes went right up as well.

And specifically the 77379 area around 249 & Louetta has a lot going in terms of commerce. I still can't believe there are 2 nice HEBs, brand new Whole Foods and a nice Kroger all within a mile radius of each other.

You can check the crime stats here on city-data; just locate your neighborhood and it has some good information; not as up to date as you would like, but stats take time to compile and distribute.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:31 AM

254 posts, read 467,217 times
I can agree with Father... I grew up in 77379 and am there to see my parents every other weekend. Still a good zip code and safe. Check out rentals on har.com
Having said that, I don't think they have built any new apartments in the zip code. The ones I recall in front of Oak Wood Glen are occupied by blue collar workers. Which works for some, but not for others. Just check the areas out before you pull the trigger.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,511 times
Thank you Father for that information. It was very helpful. I plan on visiting the area this month to really narrow down my area, but it does seem as though 77379 is going to be my most ideal location. Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston