Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 05:51 PM

128 posts, read 215,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Banking on higher-end homes in the outer western suburbs, especially a somewhat pioneering community like Elyson, is a recipe for very slow sales in the near term, given the oil and gas economy and what's happened to the major Energy Corridor employers. They're being smart by covering a range of price points in terms of helping to guarantee higher home sales in the near term. The main risk is that closed-minded affluent home buyers will shy away in the future if they see too many "entry-level" home buyers populating the community and dominating the schools, connecting it in their feeble brains with the supposedly "to be avoided" North Katy / south Cy-Fair population just to the east.

I agree. I think it's great to have the opportunities for people of different income levels. As long as decent, hardworking people are in the community, it doesn't matter to us what their income level is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
Pulte and Chesmar have built in Cinco Ranch...I see Pulte and Chesmar along with your "average" builders. They all use the same materials and same labor. Your construction manager makes all the difference.
Makes sense, and that's what I hear from time to time as well. But then, shouldn't the same yardstick be applied to likes of KB, Gehan, Anglia & other production builders? I mean they should be using similar material, labor etc, and if construction manager is worth his salt, why would everyone advise not to choose these builders? Again, I am not arguing, just curious as I am not too familiar with either Pulte or Chesmar..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 05:57 PM

234 posts, read 425,554 times
It's Paetow High School, not Ventana HS, and Stockdick junior high that will eventually be zoned to Elyson. It's not official but more than likely these new schools will hpuse Elyson residents for years to come. I believe prices are coming in like south katy, 77494. Newland can use another legit developer around that corridor. Before or when Cinco was new, there was Nottingham Country, Kelliwood, Greentrails,etc. All are old communities but still nice and held up in its value. Kind of not looking good with Katy Manor (KB Homes) being built and Marcello Lakes, not sure who the builders are but I hear Academy Development is a sub of Legend Homes...so go figure.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:42 PM

293 posts, read 756,767 times
Katy Lakes is going in at FM 529 at Katy Hockley Cutoff. So this is a couple miles west of Elyson. The site plan shows almost 400 acres being developed. Looks looks like they have started clearing land and just dropped a construction trailer. The site plan shows the owner/developer as Mini-B, INC at 550 Waugh dr.

Katy Lakes site plan
Katy Lakes GP

Old 06-28-2016, 07:11 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,962 times
"Makes sense, and that's what I hear from time to time as well. But then, shouldn't the same yardstick be applied to likes of KB, Gehan, Anglia & other production builders? I mean they should be using similar material, labor etc, and if construction manager is worth his salt, why would everyone advise not to choose these builders? Again, I am not arguing, just curious as I am not too familiar with either Pulte or Chesmar..[/quote]

That's a valid argument, no worries. I would put Gehan with the "average" builder category. I guess we tend to see "lower priced home" synonymous with lower quality in order to keep the price low. I would put KB, Legend Homes (with some exceptions), Anglia, and all Longlake Ltd developments in lower tier of home builders. Go into one of their neighborhoods 10+ years later and see how it's holding up. It's incredible how fast some of their neighborhoods deteriorate.

Elyson is going to be an interesting experiment, albeit I am sure they know what they are doing . With oil where it is, and if they are starting out in the "High 200's", I think it will develop slower than most people anticipate. That whole are was a swamp when we got those heavy rains, I wonder what they are doing to mitigate the flooding risk considering it is the Katy Prairie.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydogs1 View Post
Katy Lakes is going in at FM 529 at Katy Hockley Cutoff. So this is a couple miles west of Elyson. The site plan shows almost 400 acres being developed. Looks looks like they have started clearing land and just dropped a construction trailer. The site plan shows the owner/developer as Mini-B, INC at 550 Waugh dr.

Katy Lakes site plan
Katy Lakes GP

Wow thanks! I was wondering who was clearing out that land just west of Elyson. I wonder who the builders are.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:45 AM

156 posts, read 154,801 times
Anyone building a Westin Home out there? Did you get a good incentive package?

Old 06-29-2016, 07:08 AM

243 posts, read 487,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
So, in your opinion, should Newland forgo more moderately-priced homes in the near term because it will hurt their higher-end sales over time? That would be a major financial decision on Newland's part, as near term cash flow is a big deal in standard financial models.

FYI I believe Elyson is currently zoned to Katy HS. Eventually, after some unknown period of time, there may be a more local high school within or near the community, after there's been a lot of population growth at the northwest end of the district. I don't know if that school would also include any Katy ISD areas east of 99.
Mid to high-end homes $350K+ are going to have a hard time selling regardless. The inaccessible location compared with the perceived inferior schools will make this community a really hard sell. The high school will end up being Paetow High School which is being built just south of there. It is mostly going to relieve Morton Ranch High School and some of Katy High. Do you think most affluent buyers would send their kids to Morton Ranch? Not gonna happen.

Last edited by kittyhawk; 06-29-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Mid to high-end homes $350K+ are going to have a hard time selling regardless. The inaccessible location compared with the perceived inferior schools will make this community a really hard sell. The high school will end up being Paetow High School which is being built just south of there. It is mostly going to relieve Morton Ranch High School and some of Katy High. Do you think most affluent buyers would send their kids to Morton Ranch? Not gonna happen.

I don't think the location is inaccessible. If anything the location is awesome. Other than 99, there are multiple ways to get to/from I-10 & 290, both Katy Hockley's, Mason road (to be expanded), to name a few. Compare that to the current South of I-10 - 77494 area, south katy area...you have 99 and 1463 (a pain).

The school perception, I think, will be a thing of the past once things get settled in around this area.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,526 times
As I've said, the landscape is changing. With the combination of the 99 expansion and the lack of land in South Katy, it is pushing north. Cane Island, Elyson, and many more to come. Get used to it.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:43 AM

243 posts, read 487,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
As I've said, the landscape is changing. With the combination of the 99 expansion and the lack of land in South Katy, it is pushing north. Cane Island, Elyson, and many more to come. Get used to it.
I think Cane Island has a higher chance of success because of it's proximity to Katy proper and I-10 although the large swaths of apartment complexes under construction around I-10 and 99 should be cause for concern in the next 5-10 years.

I can't think of an example of a far flung suburb where the perception of the schools has gotten better. Once it turns sour, it never gets better. Alief is a great example where they built the upper middle class areas of Mission Bend only to see them decline due to the perception and eventual reality of the school quality. It rarely even happens in urban locations but it is starting to occur in places like Oak Forest. FM-529@SH-99 is not Oak Forest.

80+% of the people moving to the suburbs do it because of schools. If you can't sell that, you have little else to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston