Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 10:02 AM

160 posts, read 399,425 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the correction. Not sure 7 cents makes a difference if it is where you want to live. About $17 per month on a $300k home. Doesn't move the needle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 05:27 PM

234 posts, read 424,775 times
So lets say a MUD has a 1.5% tax rate from inception, after all cost of the what the MUD has done is paid off is it possible the MUD tax rate will go down due to depreciation, maintenance, etc.? I'm not sure what type of cost makes up MUD rates.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:12 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,819,342 times
The MUD is actually a bond taken out, and the residents pay it back. So yes, it will eventually get paid off (usually a couple of decades) and the tax will go away. This is why a lot of older areas have no MUD tax. They are usually huge bonds as well, 500-800 million.

I am not sure how much tax benefit you will realize with appreciation however.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:34 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
The MUD is actually a bond taken out, and the residents pay it back. So yes, it will eventually get paid off (usually a couple of decades) and the tax will go away. This is why a lot of older areas have no MUD tax. They are usually huge bonds as well, 500-800 million.

I am not sure how much tax benefit you will realize with appreciation however.
That is not true. MUDs levy both debt service and operating / maintenance taxes. Yes, if bonds are paid off, debt service tax goes away. If the district eliminates operating / maintenance taxes, then water / sewer rates will go through the roof - the funds to adequately run the infrastructure must come from somewhere.

Furthermore, MUD bond issues are typically not large; I'm not aware of any of the magnitude you describe.

Another thing to keep in mind: eventually the infrastructure and facilities funded by the developer (who was paid back by MUD bonds) wear out. Sure, it's nice when debt service taxes go away, but what happens when it's time to rebuild the water plant? Unless the district has a huge reserve fund, you're probably looking at a new bond issue. Either that, or lose potable water capacity.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
I think it applies to both really, but anyways sorry for sidetracking from the thread.
So upper middle class buyers should not buy in communities where the schools will also have to serve more moderate income homeowners? This kind of thinking is what kills the market viability of places like Copperfield for college-educated buyers.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,819,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
That is not true. MUDs levy both debt service and operating / maintenance taxes. Yes, if bonds are paid off, debt service tax goes away. If the district eliminates operating / maintenance taxes, then water / sewer rates will go through the roof - the funds to adequately run the infrastructure must come from somewhere.

Furthermore, MUD bond issues are typically not large; I'm not aware of any of the magnitude you describe.

Another thing to keep in mind: eventually the infrastructure and facilities funded by the developer (who was paid back by MUD bonds) wear out. Sure, it's nice when debt service taxes go away, but what happens when it's time to rebuild the water plant? Unless the district has a huge reserve fund, you're probably looking at a new bond issue. Either that, or lose potable water capacity.

Well Local Planner, I have sold homes in new communities for years, and I see the $$$ numbers for the bonds issued for MPC's. They are also a part of the new home contract. So I am just telling you what I see in writing on legal docs. But you seem to portray yourself as a very important and intelligent person, so you must be right.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Well Local Planner, I have sold homes in new communities for years, and I see the $$$ numbers for the bonds issued for MPC's. They are also a part of the new home contract. So I am just telling you what I see in writing on legal docs. But you seem to portray yourself as a very important and intelligent person, so you must be right.
Regardless of whether you were being snarky or genuinely complimentary, but I think your dollar amounts were one power of ten too high. Water / sewer /drainage infrastructure isn't cheap, but even for an MPC that would be an extraordinary amount, and the property value needed to be on the ground to service that kind of debt would be huge - meaning the developer would have to wait far too long to be reimbursed through a bond issue. Large MPCs usually have multiple MUDs to allow better timing between the building of the infrastructure and getting enough value on the ground to issue bonds, so the debt happens in smaller but more frequent chunks.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:37 AM

467 posts, read 778,075 times
Elyson model homes are now up. We went out this past weekend and walked both Highland models.
The sales person told us there is a VIP sneak peak event on Sat 9/24 for anyone who wants to see the amenities.
It sounds like there are alot of people interested. The model home park was full of cars already

Old 08-27-2017, 02:19 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,521,447 times
It is interesting what's going on in Elyson right now. This community is located in a super flood zone. FM 529 west of SH99 always becomes a nightmare during major flood situations.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:51 PM

112 posts, read 166,121 times
Is it currently flooding? Please let me know as we are looking to purchase there within the next 10 -12 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston