Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Last night I saw tv commercials advertising new Southwest routes to Mexico and Dominican Republic. I was in Chicago.

Agree that service on United has steadily declined. My peeve is flying regional jets across the country.
Is it going to be a direct flight from Hobby to DR? If so, I am ready with my bags packed. I always wanted to go there, but not through New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 AM

126 posts, read 233,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I was on a United flight last week from California. There was a woman who was using a cane with a limp getting on the aircraft. You could see how uncomfortable she was. Well, they close the main cabin door, and the entire exit row was empty. She asked the stewardess if she could move to one of those seats so she could stretch out her bad leg. The stewardess said she could move there for $79, and she'd be happy to run the lady's credit card.

United would rather keep the seats empty and have a passenger that obviously could use one to be more comfortable.

United is saying, "We care about every dollar and not our customers."

Thank goodness the women didn't need an aspirin. United would have said they'd be happy to run one on her credit card.
I don't know about you, but I don't want a woman with a limp, using a cane, sitting in an exit row. Clearly if she has a bad leg she isn't the person best suited to open that exit window and direct everyone in the area off the jet in an emergency. In fact, she would probably do just the opposite and actually block the exit from being used which could cost people their lives. Think about it.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
It seems you haven’t flown enough (or paid attention during the safety demonstrations) to know that a person in an exit row must be able to do the duties described which means assisting people out that door in the event of an emergency landing. The person you described would not be able to do this. This is also why children aren’t allowed to sit in these rows. Flight attendants are under extreme scrutiny about giving away premium seats for free. In regards to giving people their own rows on empty flights they might have done it, but maybe there was a supervisor on board checking performance and they couldn’t. You don’t know the circumstances so if you don’t do that job don’t speculate.

Second, stop glorifying how wonderful of overseas airline carriers are compared to U.S. ones. Yes, the overseas carriers offer all sorts of perks (i.e. free alcohol) because their governments SUBSIDIZE them. Our government stopped doing this in the late 1970’s in the form of deregulation. Like all other companies, U.S. airlines have to make money to survive unlike most overseas carriers. Remember if deregulation hadn’t happened no one would have the cheap airfares they are used to now and would be paying triple the prices all the time.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:41 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,676 times
Is free booze THAT big of a deal on flights, international or domestic? Heck, you likely spent $1000+ for your ticket, if you really have to get your drink on, what's another $6 or $7?

Having said that, the "legacy" European airlines that I've flown (Air France, British Airways, KLM), still offer free alcohol on even ~1 hr economy flights within Europe. Still, if I can save $40 or $50 by flying a discount carrier like Vueling or Easyjet, I'll do so even if I don't get any free inflight beverages, alcoholic or otherwise.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadoons View Post
I don't know about you, but I don't want a woman with a limp, using a cane, sitting in an exit row. Clearly if she has a bad leg she isn't the person best suited to open that exit window and direct everyone in the area off the jet in an emergency. In fact, she would probably do just the opposite and actually block the exit from being used which could cost people their lives. Think about it.
I guess you do have a point there.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Last night I saw tv commercials advertising new Southwest routes to Mexico and Dominican Republic. I was in Chicago.

Agree that service on United has steadily declined. My peeve is flying regional jets across the country.
Please Southwest, give me Venezuela or at least Aruba

Old 06-13-2014, 08:58 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
I looked on the southwest website and saw a flight from Houston to Aruba with one stop. Not sure when they are offering it, but it was on the flight map.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I looked on the southwest website and saw a flight from Houston to Aruba with one stop. Not sure when they are offering it, but it was on the flight map.
cool

Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
May have to check Punta Cana when the route is ready.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Is free booze THAT big of a deal on flights, international or domestic? Heck, you likely spent $1000+ for your ticket, if you really have to get your drink on, what's another $6 or $7?
Alcohol?
How about something better than a bag with with 5 mini pretzels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston