Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,837 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to Houston and currently live downtown. We are wanting to buy outside the city but want a commute where the traffic isn't too bad. We have found the Crosby, TX area and were wondering if anyone had any information to share? It seems nice but for a small town it seems to have a lot of houses for sale and I wonder if there is a reason we should be concerned about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:22 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
It's country.

It's actually gone through, and continues to go through, many improvements. Highway 90 is now essentially a straight shot to 10 and 610 which is very nice. The bridge over the railroad tracks was opened only 7 or 8 weeks ago.

There's not that many places to eat in Crosby, and for groceries, you really want to go to the HEB in Atascocita. (I will say that the special fried rice at Charming Cafe is quite awesome).

Crosby is very much your small Texas town, but only a 30 minute drive from downtown (more for rush hour obviously).

The largest neighborhood is Newport. Newport has a golf course and a boat ramp and park on Lake Houston. You can find some really good deals there, but there are better and worse parts of the neighborhood. BTW, there is a "haunted street" in Newport that was part of the inspiration of Poltergeist. There is a book and movie about it called The Black Hope Horror.

The "premiere" neighborhood in the area is Saddle Creek Farm; however, the neighborhood right next to it, Happy Hideaway is, well, uhhh, mostly trash.

You may also want to look at The Commons, which is up 2100 in Huffman. It is a nice neighborhood built on mostly 1+ acre lots. It has the distinction of being George Foreman's neighborhood.

If you have more specific questions, you can ask them here or PM me.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaB46 View Post
it seems to have a lot of houses for sale and I wonder if there is a reason we should be concerned about that?
Not that I'm aware of. The Crosby population is definitely going up and the number of middle class people keeps increasing. They've started a new neighborhood in Crosby about a year or so ago and the buildout continues. It could be that many people are opting to switch to new homes, but that would only be a guess. Another thing about Crosby is the demographic is seeing more young people move there. I'm guessing it's the lake drawing them.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
I agree with everything Pedro says. I would also check out Huffman and possibly Mont Belvieu.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM

29 posts, read 48,454 times
We just moved there in December and we like it. It was one of the few spots that land was affordable. Atascocita is just up the road and good for basic shopping (Target, Lowes, HEB and Kroger) and it's a quick shot downtown if traffic cooperates. As for Crosby itself, there isn't much in the way of restaurants, small Kroger if you need the basics, and a Walmart. The Commons is nice but relatively expensive, we opted for land over big house. I don't know about the schools as we don't have any children living with us. If you are into bicycling there seems to be a lot of bike races and people riding in the area. I'm guessing there is a club or group nearby. You can PM me if you have any questions. I'm new the the area but would be happy to assist.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:28 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Used to work with a guy who lived there. He wanted a couple horses and that was the best space to have them and a little land, while commuting to Bush airport area. It was country living close to the city...this was 10 years ago.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:28 AM

225 posts, read 519,662 times
I'd avoid Newport. The prices have been appreciating too fast the past few years and the neighborhood is on the decline. I would look at Lake Shadows which is the next neighborhood north on FM 2100. If you look on HAR, there is nothing for sale, besides pending, because everything is moving fast so you probably need to religiously check HAR.com every day for new listings or get a good Realtor to keep tabs on new listings. I am sure there will be more listings closer to the end of the school year.

Huffman is nice too and closer to the Atascocita shopping but you'll be looking at an extra 10-15 minutes of driving to get to Highway 90.

I lived in Lake Shadows for 7 years and now live in Huffman (Commons of Lake Houston) so I know the area well.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe_Will View Post
If you are into bicycling there seems to be a lot of bike races and people riding in the area. I'm guessing there is a club or group nearby.
A lot of people actually commute out to Crosby to cycle. Approaching the MS150, you'll get a lot of bike traffic east of Crosby on the rural roads. When I road the MS150 and was doing my training, I spoke to several people who lived downtown but drove out to train. Mostly, it will be riders who live in Atascocita, Kingwood, Humble, Eagle Springs, Summerwood, etc who are riding out there, but some riders come from the inner loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by right View Post
I'd avoid Newport. The prices have been appreciating too fast the past few years and the neighborhood is on the decline. I would look at Lake Shadows which is the next neighborhood north on FM 2100. If you look on HAR, there is nothing for sale, besides pending, because everything is moving fast so you probably need to religiously check HAR.com every day for new listings or get a good Realtor to keep tabs on new listings. I am sure there will be more listings closer to the end of the school year.

Huffman is nice too and closer to the Atascocita shopping but you'll be looking at an extra 10-15 minutes of driving to get to Highway 90.

I lived in Lake Shadows for 7 years and now live in Huffman (Commons of Lake Houston) so I know the area well.
In HAR you can save a search based on area, size, price, etc, and you'll get an email when a new listing comes on the market that fits that description.

When my parents were trying to find a one story home in Walden with a pool on the golf course, whenever we'd notice a listing, it might be a couple of days old, and by the time we looked, it was under contract. I saved my search in HAR for the emails, and when I got the email of the listing, we actually made an offer that day which was accepted by that night. We found out from the listing realtor that she had about two dozen people wanting to see it within the next week while it was listed as pending. One story homes like it were a hot commodity in that neighborhood.

If you have a specific area and some specific house criteria you want and a limited availability, I strongly recommend doing this.

BTW, I'm not sure about the Crosby schools, but I know the Huffman elementary is rated as exemplary.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:40 AM

116 posts, read 196,256 times
I completely agree with PedroMartinez. The area to the northeast out Hwy 90 is one of the last remaining undiscovered gems in the greater Houston area.

Relatively close in, and much much less traffic than the west side.

If you are looking for cookie cutter MPC's, congestion and chaos, and over-inflated property values, go west.

If you are looking for wide open space and room to breathe, reasonable prices and acreage, go east.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right View Post

Hello! My husband and I are about to close on a house in Lake Shadows...we are pretty excited. How is the area? Is it fairly quite and secluded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston