Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 PM

82 posts, read 177,972 times

Advertisements

We are having issue with our builder and thinking about walking away from the house that they are currently building. What is the consequences besides losing the $5000 contract money and the deposit for upgrade. Are there anything else that we should worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 09:56 PM

246 posts, read 896,129 times
There is no issue, other than $5000, they can sell the house quick...
Would you minding sharing with us why you want to walk away.?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:15 PM

long story short (or still long,) the house that we are buying is already being built (someone signed up and walked away or chose a different home) before we signed the contract and the sale lady said we had already missed the precontruction stage in which they had submitted the approval to the developer - no change can be made to the front elevation - we acknowledged that and proceeded to sign up.

recently, we noticed/realized that the windows by game room upstair (facing front view) is too high -48 inches measured from the ground up- and for me to look outside, i almost have to tip toe (i am very short); we asked them to lower it down to 36 inches so we can have a view while sitting down. They said no. As much as we like the area, it just does not make sense for us to buy a brand new home and have to break the wall to fix the windows issue as soon as we close the house. I understood that i had agreed to not make any changes as the house already started but they have yet to put up sheet rock, windows or bricks and my request can be easily done. i just emailed again and asked if she is absolutely sure that they cannot do it. she is back on Saturday and if she won't accomodate our request, we will walk.

Last edited by NovieN; 02-27-2014 at 10:36 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 10:17 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,769,855 times
You'll get your money back anyway - no builder wants a property tied up in litigation.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:14 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,780,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovieN View Post
long story short (or still long,) the house that we are buying is already being built (someone signed up and walked away or chose a different home) before we signed the contract and the sale lady said we had already missed the precontruction stage in which they had submitted the approval to the developer - no change can be made to the front elevation - we acknowledged that and proceeded to sign up.

recently, we noticed/realized that the windows by game room upstair (facing front view) is too high -48 inches measured from the ground up- and for me to look outside, i almost have to tip toe (i am very short); we asked them to lower it down to 36 inches so we can have a view while sitting down. They said no. As much as we like the area, it just does not make sense for us to buy a brand new home and have to break the wall to fix the windows issue as soon as we close the house. I understood that i had agreed to not make any changes as the house already started but they have yet to put up sheet rock, windows or bricks and my request can be easily done. i just emailed again and asked if she is absolutely sure that they cannot do it. she is back on Saturday and if she won't accomodate our request, we will walk.
Is that window on the first floor or second? If second floor it is over a garage or extended patio area?

Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,029,155 times
I walked away from a gehan home for personal reasons, only twp weeks after signing. Ground had never broken .. They would not return my 5k.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 AM

552 posts, read 835,689 times
You should be able to get the $5k back. You may have to nudge and threaten a bit, but they'll give in.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Is that window on the first floor or second? If second floor it is over a garage or extended patio area?
Windows are on 2nd floor and not over garage. Something likes pict here
Attached Thumbnails
Walk away-elevation_f.jpg  

Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,780,592 times
That's design and building code.

If you're talking about those windows in front they are technically over the garage area. They have to be a certain height. It's building code.

Last edited by DSL_PWR; 02-28-2014 at 01:55 PM..

Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,303,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovieN View Post
, i almost have to tip toe (i am very short); we asked them to lower it down to 36 inches so we can have a view while sitting down. .
are you both short or just you? who is the builder?. Is the window normal for an average height person? Perhaps you can buy a higher chair or seat for your view.. Just throwing it out there. Is this the main reason for backing out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston