Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:04 PM

82 posts, read 177,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
'New' house buyers are funny people.
Yup, ToyYot and DSL_PWR are not, how come?

Last edited by NovieN; 02-28-2014 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 11:22 PM

702 posts, read 1,238,316 times
Novien, if you're unhappy with the home and if they're unable to resolve your complaint, walk. I rather lose $5k than be in a home I'm not happy with. I actually had a situation where the builder built the home their way (code violations) and I walked. I lost $5k, but I rather lose $5k than $250k and be stuck in a home I don't feel comfortable in or I'm unhappy with. For a $400k home, this is something they should easily fix. I've seen semi-custom builders at $200k do similar things like change or lower windows etc.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:55 AM

914 posts, read 1,835,159 times
If you go to the top and the builder won't change it--walk. You will never be happy and regret the purchase. You can find a custom builder that will do exactly what you want as opposed to living in a cookie cutter that doesn't work for you. That being said $5,000 is a lot of money. Have you asked a contractor if it will cost more than $5,000 to lower the windows if you take the home as is?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:08 PM

Except for toyot and dsl_per, thank you everyone for your constructive inputs. It's a no deal and I could not have been happier about my decision.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:29 PM

399 posts, read 642,564 times
NovieN I am confused by why you feel you are owed your deposit back. You said that they told you the front could not be changed from the beginning. Am I missing something? I do agree that if you are not happy your should not proceed with the home. Afterall it is a huge investment but do not expect that they owe you something.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:57 PM

960 posts, read 2,751,894 times
There is a reason second story windows should be above a certain height. Our family rental property has lower window sills on the second floor and one of the tenant's child fell out the window. Fortunately, he was not serious hurt. Soon after, we didn't rent to anyone who had small children.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:06 PM

370 posts, read 613,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovieN View Post
Except for toyot and dsl_per, thank you everyone for your constructive inputs. It's a no deal and I could not have been happier about my decision.
Don't mind people with complexes. They aren't happy with their own lives and I mean something is always wrong with their lives on the inside, so they always feel the need to leave negative sarcastic input.

My suggestion to you is if they don't get the okay to put the windows lower then back out because that's money your going to spend. As a commercial builder myself, they should be able to get the engineer to draw in railing in front of the "lowered windows", but this would cost them money and throw them back a while because they would need the drawings/permit's re-approved by the city. Good Luck to you

Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroots77 View Post
NovieN I am confused by why you feel you are owed your deposit back. You said that they told you the front could not be changed from the beginning. Am I missing something? I do agree that if you are not happy your should not proceed with the home. Afterall it is a huge investment but do not expect that they owe you something.
where and when did I say that. This is over, let it rest. Thank you.

Last edited by NovieN; 03-01-2014 at 07:26 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 07:20 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,135,992 times
Wow, quite a sensitive bunch in this thread! Don't take yourself so seriously, most folks on here are here to help even if it isn't always apparent to you.

My first house was new, I learned a lot from that experience.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:40 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,777,231 times
I didn't realize I had a complex. Guess I learned something new about myself I did not know.

On a lighter note. There is nothing wrong with my life, trust me. I just built a brand new home and I am very content.

Talk to a building inspector and see what they say about the windows. I know that some people around us that are building wanted windows moved and they were told no because it was against building code.

This is the internet folks. Just people passing on information. Some people are soft spoken and compassionate and others just tell it like it is. Take it how you want.

Good luck with your house and building escapade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston