Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,637 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I work in the museum district, but live in Deer Park, so that makes about a 40-minute commute each morning and evening. I'm looking to shorten that.

I'm attempting to find a place to live somewhere between DP and the Museum District area between 75-90k. I have a one year old son, so I'd like a good elementary school and safe neighborhood. We also have 3 dogs, so for now, renting or leasing isn't really a possibility.

I've seen several good looking houses around zips 77085 (not really close, but 225 doesn't seem a bad travel), and 77047, but the areas don't seem all that great. I notice that the I-45 travel every morning looks like a nightmare, so I've opted for 225, but am open for other routes.

Anybody have any suggestions as to a good location for us to move, or would staying in Deer Park be our best option?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 10:03 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
Check out West Bury on the South West side close to the loop in your price range close to where you want to live

Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
I can't imagine any place anywhere in town:

- where 3 dogs can roam comfortably,
- that is in a safe, family-friendly environment,
- that costs $75-90k.

Much less in the museum district! I think you're going to need double to quadruple your budget to open up more options to satsify your criteria. Or move way out, farther than Deer Park.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:28 AM

firstly, thanks alot for the help. i've been checking out the westbury houses and there's possibility there.

I don't really need to live in the museum district, just an area that has a shorter travel time, or easier drive. You're right though, the inner-loop houses seem really out of my price range, so I'm trying to get as close as I can.

dogs are inside dogs. they're taken out to jog, so i don't need an acreage or anything if that's what it sounded like I meant. So i guess the price range and family-friendly environment are most important.

I'm also looking at foreclosures and the like, to try and find some availability in my price range.

Thanks again!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:45 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
I lived in Montrose and now live in DP. I really can't imagine a spot in between that would have a better commute (at least in your price range and good school area). Even if you move to Westbury, you will have to navigate all those surface streets which takes time.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 AM

Is highway 90 not a good travel right there? I've only been in DP for a year... so i don't know other travel areas well...

i usually take 225 to 610 to 288, as to avoid 45. Would it be a bad travel from Westbury (or nearby areas) to take 90 to 610 to 288, or just 90 the whole way to HMNS?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
Parker is the good elementary in Westbury, I don't think Anderson is that hot, but don't take my word for it. There are plenty of $90,000 houses in Westbury, but I think those are all zoned to Anderson. I don't think you can get into Parker for that unless it is facing a really busy street and in terrible shape.

Same thing with Oak Forest. Oak Forest elementary is the desirable school over there, but I don't know that you would be able to find anything for $90k in the part of Oak Forest that is zoned to it.

I don't know if private schools are completely out of the question. I really don't know how good it is, but a lot of parents in my area send there kids to this one, which is about $3,500 a year. Untitled Document (http://www.stchristopherhouston.org/Tuition%20&%20Fee.htm - broken link)

If you could work that into your budget, then you could certainly find something closer in that met the rest of your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: