Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:33 PM

36 posts, read 34,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greye05 View Post
Well I know they are in demand but I dont like electrical engeniriing, my pasion is computers. I havent look at other university is texas but ill take a look at the requiarements since my grades arent the best at this moment. They have been porly due to my situation

UH engineering school is not easy to get in. Hoping and wishing you the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:46 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,447,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
University of Houston : Apply as an International Student - University of Houston

Here is a link for applying to UH as an international student. If grades are low, then maybe look at other schools like community colleges.

They can better answer your housing and job placement questions than this forum.
Why would he apply as an international student? He's from PR, last time I checked that is US territory and Puertoricans are US citizens.

Last edited by lipbalm; 04-09-2014 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: d

Old 04-09-2014, 05:55 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,453,403 times
You said you're stressed by the crime. You should really reconsider UH. I have a friend who goes there and used to live close to the campus. He heard gunshots at night regularly and was even mugged. It's in a bad part of Houston.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:24 PM

195 posts, read 284,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You said you're stressed by the crime. You should really reconsider UH. I have a friend who goes there and used to live close to the campus. He heard gunshots at night regularly and was even mugged. It's in a bad part of Houston.
I've lived at UH for 2 years now. Have heard a gunshot once , here is the story on it Man shot on METRO bus in southeast Houston when another passenger's gun accidentally fires | abc13.com

A few people have been mugged, but the University has stepped up security and I can only recall one or two muggings this semester. I would say UH is a safe campus as long as you use common sense. The most common crime here is people leaving their cellphones places and having them stolen.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 PM

270 posts, read 406,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greye05 View Post
to my understanding engineering technology is more hands on while traditional engineering is more theory which i don't like. I know it may be harder for me with a degree in engineering technology since people still don't think of them as true engineers.
People don't think of them as true engineers because they are not. The technology degrees aren't as rigorous. If you can make it through the curriculum, get an engineering degree. Where I work engineering technology applications are immediately screened out, and it will make it harder to get into grad school.

While I know a few engineers that are so theoretical they can't wire a light switch (insult to the profession!) there are plenty of hands on engineering jobs. Just depends what you like to do.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,959,214 times
Quote:
Translation: Part of the campus borders a predominantly black area. All most black people do is take drugs then shoot guns and commit crimes, like Ray Lewis implied.

Reality: Like any major city there are good and bad parts. Using common sense about traveling late at night and hiding valuables and one should be fine.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:26 PM

17 posts, read 23,238 times
Quote:

Give me the general location of where you live. Very likely I can find many instances crime/violent crime close to your home.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:35 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,453,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolmesUkraine View Post
Give me the general location of where you live. Very likely I can find many instances crime/violent crime close to your home.
Pukalani, HI

We have domestic violence and the occasional burglary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: