Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:40 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,014,833 times

Advertisements

Organized a large event at a nice restaurant a couple of weeks ago, I'll leave unnamed, in the Midtown/Montrose area - event turned out well.

Although everyone enjoyed a great deal; received many "I'm better than this" and snotty comments on the locale when they admitted they were pleasantly surprised.

People - if you live in Houston, in a suburb far, far away but you enjoy dining, etc. Please explore the city - we have some fantastic restaurants inside the city and the areas - they just aren't as bad as you may think. We have a lot of restauranteurs who work very hard to provide a cool, sleek, upscale dining experience with excellent service and food. We have such a diverse range of restaurants you are truly doing yourself a disservice to not branch out a bit (if you enjoy dining and seeing all parts of the city). Leave the suburban snottiness at home and get out and enjoy the city; and for some it isn't snottiness but a fear of a part of town you don't know -- pack up your fears too - you'll be glad you did and you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

Last edited by texas7; 12-01-2007 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 03:08 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,445,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Organized a large event at a nice restaurant a couple of weeks ago, I'll leave unnamed, in the Midtown/Montrose area - event turned out well.

Although everyone enjoyed a great deal; received many "I'm better than this" and snotty comments on the locale when they admitted they were pleasantly surprised.

People - if you live in Houston, in a suburb far, far away but you enjoy dining, etc. Please explore the city - we have some fantastic restaurants inside the city and the areas - they just aren't as bad as you may think. We have a lot of restauranteurs who work very hard to provide a cool, sleek, upscale dining experience with excellent service and food. We have such a diverse range of restaurants you are truly doing yourself a disservice to not branch out a bit (if you enjoy dining and seeing all parts of the city). Leave the suburban snottiness at home and get out and enjoy the city; and for some it isn't snottiness but a fear of a part of town you don't know -- pack up your fears too - you'll be glad you did and you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you find.
OK, what are some recommendations then?

Old 12-01-2007, 04:33 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,838,256 times
Better idea. If the city is not appealing to you, stay out in suburbia. As far as I am concerned it doesn't sound like the people you describe would do anything to enhance it for the rest of us that choose to live there.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:38 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,718,006 times
I like Katz's out in Montrose. It's been awhile since we've been out there, though. Even from Clear Lake on occasion will travel into the Galleria/SW side, inner SE side for Tex-Mex, or inside the loop for some more good eats.

Clear Lake (Houston/Webster) has a few of its own good mom & pop type restaurants, but it's always nice to get out and hit the spots we used to go to when we lived deeper in the city.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,580,004 times
Facts:

A) Katz's is always open and is always hiring.

B) Modster could not be any less correct here - I am all for moving the snootiness well outside Beltway 8 - 250 miles or so north along I-45 would be an ideal location. Don't come here, and go drive your SUV while talking on your cellphone and doing your makeup somewhere else.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:12 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,014,833 times
lipbalm: How about Sorrento's, Marks, Rouge, Ruggles, Tafia, DaMarcos, Indika.

More casual - Barnaby's, Baba Yega, Pronto, Vincents, Ninos

Old 12-02-2007, 12:10 AM

50 posts, read 62,909 times
Marks......YUM!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:34 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,445,829 times
Quote:
lipbalm: How about Sorrento's, Marks, Rouge, Ruggles, Tafia, DaMarcos, Indika.

More casual - Barnaby's, Baba Yega, Pronto, Vincents, Ninos
I will look into this.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,441,763 times
Quote:

I actually find this ironic as the typical city dweller view of suburban dining choices can be summed up in one word: "chain." I realize I'm painting with a broad brush here, but for people living in the suburbs to have attitude when it comes to restaurants in the city (*any* part of the city) is something that would make most city dwellers ROTFL, but perhaps it shows that suburban fare has come a long way in the past few years.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,418,898 times
Quote:

Why won't you name the restaurant? You mentioned suburbanites being snotty but you won't even name the restaurant so people can form their own opinions? Not all of Montrose's offerings are that stellar...sorry! And I'm a former inner-looper...ate at Barnaby's and Baba Yega all the time. Keep in mind some suburbanites have been there, done that...and are over it now. Not all of us were raised in cages with Chili's and Macaroni Grill, ya know! Sorry, this thread just hit me the wrong way, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston