Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:49 AM

20,521 posts, read 33,572,975 times

Advertisements

Well you're finally doing it. Congratulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:13 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,509,668 times
Welcome SB, and if you are truly working at the Bellaire location here's my two cents:

Certain posters in here will tell you that "must live in Midtown" or around Washington because that's the "only" place young people live... because you must get your drink on everyday...

If you are NEW to big oil, live close to your office for at least the first year until you are intrenched. Getting there early and being fresh, and being able to get back in quickly when things occur goes a long way. In big oil, your performance inside and outside the office is duely noted.The traffic in the city has gotten completely insane, and from deep inside the loop it will be a workout to get to and from that location. There are PLENTY of young people living in Uptown, and quite frankly it is very walkable if you rent in the right locations. You can always grab a cab with friends and "party" elsewhere, if you want to go stumbling around and be spotted by other Chevron employees doing so.

My suggestion is rent something off Sage near the Galleria or Post Oak. Maybe even something just inside the loop along Westhiemer.

Enjoy your correct posture classes and sensitivity seminars, and remember never to use your company cellphone while driving.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,797,399 times
Thank you, EA! Even though I'm young, I do not drink (of course, I've sampled) because most alcohol is unpleasant to me. I'm a shy person, so acting out in public is slim for me. However, I may laugh and joke around people I'm comfortable with in public, but that's the only "ill-mannered" activity that I partake in. LOL.

Anywhere that is between $1,000-$1,300 and close to work will be beneficial for me and not out of budget. I will know the exact work location by the Spring or kinda by tomorrow once I get a little clarification from the HR.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:09 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,167,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Most importantly, I want to live close to work.
Where is your work location?

Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 PM

179 posts, read 247,544 times
amen on dat parttyin`, schmacherr...........lol.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM

785 posts, read 1,235,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Thank you, EA! Even though I'm young, I do not drink (of course, I've sampled) because most alcohol is unpleasant to me. I'm a shy person, so acting out in public is slim for me. However, I may laugh and joke around people I'm comfortable with in public, but that's the only "ill-mannered" activity that I partake in. LOL.

Anywhere that is between $1,000-$1,300 and close to work will be beneficial for me and not out of budget. I will know the exact work location by the Spring or kinda by tomorrow once I get a little clarification from the HR.
Maybe the Heights would be better for you then, since it seems you prefer a laid-back scene. Or maybe Rice Village. The Galleria area is not a bad suggestion too if you prefer your space and not be in the middle of everything.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Where is your work location?
I just got an email this morning about that. I will find out in a few weeks.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:08 PM

875 posts, read 1,662,713 times
Congrats!! Welcome to Texas!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:55 AM

561 posts, read 973,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
At 70K you can afford 1500 a month plus utils. You will spend easily that much money a month on partying. Spend the money. You are young. Party it up! Pick a complex with a good pool scene. Some complexes are loaded with hot girls. There are two seasons in Houston. Pool season and football season. If I was on a teachers salary I would be looking at garage apartments in the Heights. Enjoy your young years and party your ass off. A good complex in a good location will help a lot.
I like this post, but perhaps I can add my input in the form of an analogy that was given to me when I turned 23.

"Life in your twenties is like having a tablespoon of olive oil and you have to walk through the most lavish, beautiful, ostentatious home that you've ever seen with beautiful paintings, amazing views and gorgeous women in every direction. The task is to be able to walk through that house without spilling the oil. But, if you look around and enjoy the scenery too much, and spill too much of that oil, you've lost the purpose. If you focus too much on keeping it in the spoon, you've done what you set out to do, but missed the opportunity to see things that you're probably never going to see again. So see what you want and do what you can, but dont completely disregard the objective and let it all fall to the floor."

Objectives and goals in life are different from person to person. And thats where the analogy ends. And perhaps the OP is ok with letting alot of the oil fall out of his spoon, or maybe he's more disciplined and buys into "delayed gratification". Everybody's different.

Just my humble advice, do what you will with it.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 PM

Whoever gave me the reputation, will you DM me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: