Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:36 AM

203 posts, read 337,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulio82 View Post
followup question- we're planning on installing a water softener and RO filter (plan on using belsome). what are the ongoing maintenance costs- replacing the salt, the RO filters? just trying to get an idea of how much its going to cost every month.

Replacing salt is very cheap. You can buy a bag at Home Depot for about $4. A bag usually last about a month depending on the water usage. I usually load new salt every 6 weeks since I really don't use that much water.

RO filters (I didn't get one) but I think Jeff (w/Belsome) mentioned that it would have to be replace every 6 months and filters usually run between $50-100. Ask Jeff, the water softener guy.

It is worth it! I encourage you to get it. You will start noticing the difference when you shower, wash dishes (hand or dishwasher), specially when you do laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 07:42 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,277 times
RO filter replacement kits can be bought online. Depending on how many stages you can prolly spend less than $100/year buying them online and then installing yourself. Takes 15 min.

As an example.
Amazon.com: 6 Stage Reverse Osmosis Filter Replacement Set with In-Line DI Filter (RFK-DRO6-DI...formerly ROFK7): Home Improvement

Old 03-28-2014, 09:49 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
I have this exact install from Aquatex. Rock solid for 3 years, no moving parts, 3 bags of salt a year, that's it. 10 years warranty which is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovieN View Post
I just called Aquatex and you are right - Kinetico system is expensive indeed - entry level model is $2800 and middle of the line is $3600 (installation included). They said no need to pay $790 to have the house pre-lumbed as most of the houses they worked on don't have pre-lumbed.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:42 AM

339 posts, read 764,719 times
We're also planning on having a RO filter installed. Since we don't have a hole drilled for it, the Belsome guy said he's just going to replace the Air gap with the RO filter. Is that fine? I thought the Air Gap was needed to prevent dish washer back flow.

Any thoughts? Should we get another hole drilled? or is it fine to replace the Air Gap?

Old 03-31-2014, 06:09 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
Keep the air gap. Is there for a reason. And fire the installer right about now.

Quote:
We're also planning on having a RO filter installed. Since we don't have a hole drilled for it, the Belsome guy said he's just going to replace the Air gap with the RO filter. Is that fine? I thought the Air Gap was needed to prevent dish washer back flow.

Any thoughts? Should we get another hole drilled? or is it fine to replace the Air Gap?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 PM

18 posts, read 83,947 times
Quote:

I used Belsome several years back and a new hole was drilled for the RO, kept the air gap.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:48 AM

339 posts, read 764,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2020 View Post
I used Belsome several years back and a new hole was drilled for the RO, kept the air gap.
thanks Drew! Do you know if he installed an air gap faucet as well?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 AM

8 posts, read 14,540 times
I moved in riverstone area last year. I got some hard water problem, especially on the glass shower door and around kitchen faucet. I had the fleck 7000 water softner installed by belsome 2 monthes ago. So far it is working good.

The builder left me a none-RO under sink filter, so the hole was there. I installed the RO myself.
First I bought the RO from Costco which comes with a fancy faucet. Then I found out it required a bigger hole, it cost a lot to enlarge the hole. So I returned it and bought an Ispring RO on amazon.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
$1,400, stainless steel, fleck 7000, I think u used Belsome also?
hey how much did Belsome charged you for fleck 7000?

Dimple

Old 06-02-2014, 05:26 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimplea View Post
hey how much did Belsome charged you for fleck 7000?

Dimple
Well, pricing depends on where you live and what work has to be done. I live close to his business and I already had a water loop installed on my home. All I can say is that he offers the best price out of the four companies I called. These companies wanted $2-4$k to install the same set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston