Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,107 times

Advertisements

My family and I relocating to Houston next month- so February 2014! We have 3 children. I will be working off of Wilcrest in the Westside area near the 8 and Westheimer Road. I've had the help of a real estate agents, but need some inside information as to what areas are good and what areas are undesirable. We are looking to rent for a short time and then buy once we decide where exactly we want to be. We'd love to be in the $150-$200k range when we buy (6 months) and in the meantime, want to save as much as we can renting. We don't want to be near downtown- looking to be on the outskirts, even if it means somewhat of a commute. I've researched and researched and even spent a few days in Houston driving the areas, but it's nothing like hearing it from native Houstonians :-)
There's Katy, Sugarland, The Woodlands, Cypress, Friendswood, Pearland, Missouri City, etc. that I've looked at and considered. Missouri City seems very inexpensive and the crime rates seem low- maybe this is a possibility? Also, Pearland had good prices and was told this is a safe area. The Woodlands and Katy seem to be more expensive.
Any thoughts, ideas, advice would be very very helpful!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:41 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
My only comment would be that no one calls Beltway 8, "the 8" in Houston 😀.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,002 times
welcome to houston! i was in burbank for a year (although native texan) and will try and help some. id look into sugar land. it has a clean, nice vibe there and its close(st) to where youre gonna work. although the scenery isnt the same, sugar land has that OC suburban type feel/setting, kinda reminds me of santa clarita too.

i dont know the areas as well as natives, but i also like the woodlands, but its too much of a commute, some areas of katy could be good. i dont care much for cypress as it didnt seem friendly to me. pearland seems a little bland, missouri city i dont much about other than going through which doesnt seem as nice as sugarland the woodlands, or katy. friendswood i know nothing about. good luck!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Sugarland is probably not within your budget. Pearland and Missouri City is possible, but you have to look closely to see what school you are in. Since you are working on the west side of town, I think the better bet is katy. I don't know Katy well so maybe you can look further there or others chime in.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:08 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
The good parts of Missouri City and Pearland would be a hefty commute up to Westchase (Westheimer and Bltwy. 8). Not sure what part of the OC you're coming from (I'm in Long Beach), but westside Houston commutes are pretty similar to OC commutes (as long as you're not heading up into LA) in terms of times and miles. Westchase is a big employment area along with the Energy Corridor (out west of there along I-10 around Eldridge) so think of those as hotspots on your map. Roads will be congested heading towards those as well as heading towards central Houston (the loop) in the morning and congested heading away from those in the afternoon. So use that as a rule of thumb.

Sugar Land is great but a little out of your price range. Cypress is nicest north of FM 529 and Katy is best south of I-10 (huge generalizations here!!!). You'll find in suburban west/southwest/northwest Houston, your money will get you something nicer than you'd have here paying twice as much.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Sugarland is probably not within your budget. Pearland and Missouri City is possible, but you have to look closely to see what school you are in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Sugar Land is great but a little out of your price range.
Actually there are a few neighborhoods left in Sugar Land where you can still sometimes find homes under $200k and good schools: Stratford Park, Summerfield, Park Pointe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston