Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 PM

18 posts, read 50,911 times

Advertisements

May possibly be moving with my husband and our 2 small children. We live in Orange County CA and are looking for a family friendly low crime rate suburb outside of Houston with good schools. My husbands office would be near Airport Blvd and Telephone Rd in Houston. I was looking at THe Woodlands but that seems far. Any input or advice would be great or what do you think about the drive to The Woodlands from that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,282,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexysmom04 View Post
May possibly be moving with my husband and our 2 small children. We live in Orange County CA and are looking for a family friendly low crime rate suburb outside of Houston with good schools. My husbands office would be near Airport Blvd and Telephone Rd in Houston. I was looking at THe Woodlands but that seems far. Any input or advice would be great or what do you think about the drive to The Woodlands from that area?
Wow! It seems like a ton of people are moving to Houston these days. That location is right by Hobby Airport. I would look at Friendswood & Clear Lake. A commute from the Woodlands would be hell. Just stay in Harris County. Galveston County or any Texas coastal county has ridiculous insurance premiums.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 AM

359 posts, read 784,294 times
While woodlands would surely be one hell of a commute, it'll still help us if you could let us know as to how much commute you are okay with.

A whole lot of others factors will further define your search, such as
-how much preference you give to schools (good or the exemplary),
-the property tax too. Remember, unlike California, the property tax could be as high as 3.5% in certain areas.
-close to urban life / malls (galleria) or suburban life

BTW, I moved from Los Angeles (Pasadena) to Houston, TX 2 yrs ago.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,209,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexysmom04 View Post
Pearland

Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
While woodlands would surely be one hell of a commute, it'll still help us if you could let us know as to how much commute you are okay with.

A whole lot of others factors will further define your search, such as
-how much preference you give to schools (good or the exemplary),
-the property tax too. Remember, unlike California, the property tax could be as high as 3.5% in certain areas.
-close to urban life / malls (galleria) or suburban life

BTW, I moved from Los Angeles (Pasadena) to Houston, TX 2 yrs ago.
My husband would prefer a commute less than 45 minutes each way. As far as schools my daughter is in an exemplary school right now they get a 10 on great schools and all score are high so I really want a school that gets a 9 or 10. We are used to the city life not necessarily needing to e within walking distance but a mall 15 mins away or less would be nice. We will just be renting to begin with and are looking to pay less than $1500 for preferably a 3 bedroom. How was the change in weather for you? I'm hearing it can be very humid with lots of tstorms :/

Thanks so much for all te input.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Pearland
How is Pearland? We like newer communities but that is not necessarily a must

Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Wow! It seems like a ton of people are moving to Houston these days. That location is right by Hobby Airport. I would look at Friendswood & Clear Lake. A commute from the Woodlands would be hell. Just stay in Harris County. Galveston County or any Texas coastal county has ridiculous insurance premiums.
It seems as if many are leaving CA jobs aren't the greatest right now and rent/mortgage is constantly on the rise as well as city tax increases. I really liked what The Woodlands had to offer seemed like a newer master planned community.

Right now my husband has a 45 minute commute going against traffic mainly because the schools in the area of his office get a 2 or 3 and te crime rate is pretty high in that area as well. We are primarily looking for an area with good schools.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,726,267 times
The Woodlands would be a brutal commute. Depending on where you live in the Woodlands it would be 1.25-2 hours each way. Sugarland has the lowest crime rate of the suburbs of Houston. You are still looking at a 45min commute to your husbands work which is in the ghetto! Friendswood and Pearland are the closest. The suburbs here and where you are used to are way different. Those master planned communities are surrounded by poor areas. I grew up in the city and 100% of my friends went to college. It seems to be the complete opposite in the suburbs.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 PM

22 posts, read 43,339 times
Pearland, Friendswood, Alvin, Manvel, or Clearlake would be reasonable commutes to Airport Blvd and Telephone Rd. The Woodlands is nice but is too far from the southside of Houston

Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceU2008 View Post
Pearland, Friendswood, Alvin, Manvel, or Clearlake would be reasonable commutes to Airport Blvd and Telephone Rd. The Woodlands is nice but is too far from the southside of Houston
Thanks so much for the feedback. We have been looking at places in Friendswood and Pearland online and the schools look good in that area as well so that might be a good fit for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston