Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,713,274 times

Advertisements

I feel I answer the same questions every week. We all do here. I was thinking I could make a long post about the Houston areas on where to live, prices it costs to live in area, and basically cover all the usual stuff I write all the time. I would also like to get help from others who can post in the thread. I will copy and paste all of it. I will organize it. I don't know the suburbs that well, but others do. People can help out with each of the major areas. I think it needs to be broken up in to a few different stickies. If the mods will sticky it. I will make an outline of things to cover and get some input from others. How we should organize it etc. I am stuck at home bored recovering from spinal surgery, so I have plenty of time to do this. If you would like to help out with this little project feel free to post here. I am quite open to any ideas.

The sticky topics I was thinking of are:

1) What the do visiting Houston
I feel we can come up with a good list of tourist things to do

2) Commonly asked questions about Houston
Where to go for fun
How to meet people
Our wonderful weather
Traffic
Job availability
Types of people in Houston

3) Where to live when renting
Everyone asks where to live without a budget or how old their kids are.
I think we need a list of things people need to state before they ask.
We can also cover most of the common stuff in this section
I think buying a house and where to rent an apartment are very different

4) Where to buy a house
Same as renting except for buying.

5) Other parts of Texas. Maybe a quick run down of the surrounding areas.
What to do in other parts of Texas. SA, Dallas, Hill country, etc

I could use some help with this. Please add anything I have not thought in the last 10min. I will also need people to write suburbs sections since I know little about them other than I hate the burbs. lol

Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 AM

2,945 posts, read 5,012,460 times
It's a nice thought but no.

People are neurotic moving to Houston. You can work hard and work out an outline but people will STILL nitpick. But this elementary scored a 4 on the test while this one score a 4.5 which one is better help!

Mods just need to combine them so all the repetitive questions get lost in the fray of a big, huge thread.

Or just sticky areas. We definitely need an all purpose Katy/Cinco Ranch Schools/Neighborhoods, WestU Schools and Memorial Neighborhoods/Schools because people moving wanting those areas are the most neurotic, worrywarts of the bunch.

But X high school is ranked 3 while the other is a 5. Which neighborhood in the 3 ranked school. I must stay below I-10 but X school isn't as nice as Z.

People take a Xanax and chill

It's HIGH time for location stickies. Been time. It's been time since everyone and their mom is moving to Houston. When people post I "I'm working 77XXX and want blank, blank and blank under 30mins we need to just post reply "See X sticky above" instead of continuing to enable and then get the same thread repeated by someone else 18 hours later.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:48 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,079,742 times
It should. Austin has one.
Replace the "Chat" sticky with it. This isn't supposed to be a chat room, it's a relo forum!

Old 01-19-2014, 11:07 AM

433 posts, read 663,149 times
I'm gonna start sending them to the ghettos to slow down the annoying transplants

Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,795,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
It's a nice thought but no.

People are neurotic moving to Houston. You can work hard and work out an outline but people will STILL nitpick. But this elementary scored a 4 on the test while this one score a 4.5 which one is better help!

Mods just need to combine them so all the repetitive questions get lost in the fray of a big, huge thread.

Or just sticky areas. We definitely need an all purpose Katy/Cinco Ranch Schools/Neighborhoods, WestU Schools and Memorial Neighborhoods/Schools because people moving wanting those areas are the most neurotic, worrywarts of the bunch.

But X high school is ranked 3 while the other is a 5. Which neighborhood in the 3 ranked school. I must stay below I-10 but X school isn't as nice as Z.

People take a Xanax and chill

It's HIGH time for location stickies. Been time. It's been time since everyone and their mom is moving to Houston. When people post I "I'm working 77XXX and want blank, blank and blank under 30mins we need to just post reply "See X sticky above" instead of continuing to enable and then get the same thread repeated by someone else 18 hours later.
LOL that is really annoying. I normally ignore those types and keep it moving.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,302,691 times
Yes the test score/rankings fanatics are annoying. It's not like little billy ruins his chance of becoming an astrophysicist or neurosurgeon if he has to go to the second or third ranked school in the district. Oh the horrors

Old 01-19-2014, 04:14 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,253,530 times
I wish Houston got more realistic media coverage - no just the "go there - there are jobs!". Our geographical mass, our heavy traffic and lack of public transportation in a car-centric city, etc. It might stop the "Commute doesn't matter" and the "Where can I get a rural area but within 30 minutes to Downtown?". We are #17 on this list, whereas New York is #1: How car-centric is your city? Public transit ranked

Also, how mish mashed we are, in regards to no zoning. There is no wrong side of the tracks, like in some cities (well, minimal). The best suggestions come when we know budget and work location. Someone working in The Woodlands should be getting different suggested subdivisions than someone who works in the Energy Corridor or The Medical Center or Clear Lake - but there will be nice areas for all of them.

I wish the media would STOP talking about how cheap our housing is. Yes, it is still inexpensive compared to most big cities, but it is rising because of supply/demand - and the idea is put out there that you can get a mansion, with a pool, inside the Loop for under $100K. Two states in particular (just the southern part of one) are so bad - I know it's got to be their media there.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,012,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Yes the test score/rankings fanatics are annoying. It's not like little billy ruins his chance of becoming an astrophysicist or neurosurgeon if he has to go to the second or third ranked school in the district. Oh the horrors
But he does! Didn't you know that.

Heaven forbid parents do the opposite and say "Hey I should send my genius to the #3 ranked school so he/she can bypass those kids and be top 10 percent."

I always figure the ones who are numbers crazy are the ones who think their kids are super smart then they get them in what the found statistics wise to be the "best" and then have their genius be very average.

Your top 30 percent at the "best" just might have been valdertorian with a free ride at that #8 ranked hmm????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I wish Houston got more realistic media coverage - no just the "go there - there are jobs!". Our geographical mass, our heavy traffic and lack of public transportation in a car-centric city, etc. It might stop the "Commute doesn't matter" and the "Where can I get a rural area but within 30 minutes to Downtown?". We are #17 on this list, whereas New York is #1: How car-centric is your city? Public transit ranked

Also, how mish mashed we are, in regards to no zoning. There is no wrong side of the tracks, like in some cities (well, minimal). The best suggestions come when we know budget and work location. Someone working in The Woodlands should be getting different suggested subdivisions than someone who works in the Energy Corridor or The Medical Center or Clear Lake - but there will be nice areas for all of them.

I wish the media would STOP talking about how cheap our housing is. Yes, it is still inexpensive compared to most big cities, but it is rising because of supply/demand - and the idea is put out there that you can get a mansion, with a pool, inside the Loop for under $100K. Two states in particular (just the southern part of one) are so bad - I know it's got to be their media there.
I agree. The press we're getting isn't benefiting any transplants. So I have a X salary and will be working at X and we want the best schools, neighborhood, walking to restaurants and community life for $150k. The media said we can get all that and we can get luxury vehicles right away in Houston.

No.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 PM

6,303 posts, read 7,552,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post

The problem is IMO that Houston has no indigenous media to speak of. All our major TV Stations and of course our only daily newspaper are owned by corporations that have no real connection to Houston so they don't care, or actually prefer other media markets at the expense of the Houston media market. One industry Houston needs to develop better is media of all kinds.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:01 PM

433 posts, read 663,149 times
I wonder what these clueless transplants think when they get here. It seems like a lot of them on here don't even go inside Houston which is a shame!!! Then they wonder why Houstonians get annoyed when they complain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston