Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,590,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
I would disagree. Not that I'm into homogeneity, but blanket statements like this are idiotic politically correct mantras.
Do you care to explain why you feel I'm an idiot?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:28 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,456,837 times
Because you've simply come in here looking for an opportunity to prosthelytize to everyone about your feelings on race and culture.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Why in the world would you think that? The Woodlands is 30 miles approx from Downtown Houston, and up to 60 miles from the SW and SE fringes of the city limit. When you're talking about almost every city in the US, when you get that far away in distance from the hub, the "diversity" tends to disappear quickly.
Fair enough. And you make a good point, especially considering the fact that The Woodlands is pretty new. I'm just sure that many would assume that a place like TW would be as mixed up as the City of Houston. Then again, maybe not.

I guess I should watch where I put my opinions and be considerate of those members who are ultra sensitive about race relations and generally don't respect honesty.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Because you've simply come in here looking for an opportunity to prosthelytize to everyone about your feelings on race and culture.
No, that would be you, sir. You do not know me, so please don't pretend that you do. And do not talk down on me, otherwise, I'll have to consider your post a personal attack.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,236,284 times
Let me defend my friend mpope -- any place which grew by 'virtue' of white flight is not somewhere I care to live.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Football and tstone read my first comment as me saying, "I wish there was mo' black folks up there," when all I was saying is that I wish it were more diverse. Nothing more, nothing less.

Again, diversity is always a good thing. A good thing that The Woodlands and Kingwood do not have.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:47 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I guess I should watch where I put my opinions and be considerate of those members who are ultra sensitive about race relations and generally don't respect honesty.

Maybe, but I don't think most of us here even see it as an issue to bring up. That's one great thing about Houston... is that it's simply not an issue. The people who make it an issue are usually following an agenda that indirectly becomes very counterproductive and repressive.

Think about this one:

Tracing my family tree, I have roots all the way to the 1770's Pennsylvania. I am English, Scottish, Irish, Spanish, Italian, French and 1/64th Cherokee. My wife is 5th generation American and is 3/4 German and 1/4 Anglo. We're both ''white'' people. Are our kids NOT going to be diverse? What if my boy married a Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Greek, Czech, Slavic, Ukrainan and Russian woman and had kids with her? Would our grandkids STILL not be "diverse" simply because they're "white?"

And my post had nothing to do with "mo' black folks." Geez. Your true colors are really bleeding through now.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Maybe, but I don't think most of us here even see it as an issue to bring up. That's one great thing about Houston... is that it's simply not an issue. The people who make it an issue are usually following an agenda that indirectly becomes very counterproductive and repressive.

Think about this one:

Tracing my family tree, I have roots all the way to the 1770's Pennsylvania. I am English, Scottish, Irish, Spanish, Italian, French and 1/64th Cherokee. My wife is 5th generation American and is 3/4 German and 1/4 Anglo. We're both ''white'' people. Are our kids NOT going to be diverse? What if my boy married a Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Greek, Czech, Slavic, Ukrainan and Russian woman and had kids with her? Would our grandkids STILL not be "diverse" simply because they're "white?"
But we're not talking about diversity within families. We're talking about diversity within communities.

Quote:
And my post had nothing to do with "mo' black folks." Geez. Your true colors are really bleeding through now.
You choose how you view me, and you choose how you interpret my comments. You tried to read between the lines, and while there was nothing there, you basically implied that I had race issues. When you read too much into things, conversations like this arise, and you start to assume the wrong things, and you start to make unfair assertions about people.

I wish that some of our communities were more of a rainbow of races. Why I have become the bad lady for that, I don't understand.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:13 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,756,050 times
Quote:
But we're not talking about diversity within families. We're talking about diversity within communities.
Are my wife and I not part of a community?

Quote:
...you start to assume the wrong things, and you start to make unfair assertions about people.
Works both ways doesn't it?

Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,236,284 times
mpope that is the mentality of those who flock to the far-flung burbs. Most of them are there specifically to avoid diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston