Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,127,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Many would probably agree that The Woodlands and Kingwood are the best out of that list; however, I find that the extremely low minority population count in these areas is disappointing. Almost discouraging.

They don't represent Houston's diversity well at all.
LOL what would be the reason to be that far then?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:35 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,584,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Are you trying to steer this to a race-based discussion?

As for 'best' out of that list, I would absolutely disagree that those are the best out of that list. I'm sure you've done no scientific polling on the issue to make that kind of claim. If you go by people voting with their feet, those would be some of the least populated areas on that list and it's not because they are exclusive, Kingwood has some of the lowest cost per sq. ft of any of these.
No I am not trying to turn this into a race based discussion. All I was saying is that while Kingwood and The Woodlands are the most gorgeous areas of Greater Houston, even as my favorites, the minus for me is that they are not racially diverse. That's a fact.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
LOL what would be the reason to be that far then?
I don't understand the question.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,233,736 times
Houston has a number of nice communities. Without further information, I'll just give you a broad shot (I'm sure I will miss a few). Closer in, you have Bellaire, West University, the museum district, Montrose, Timber grove, Lazy Brook, Meyerland, The Village, Heights, Garden Oaks, and River Oaks. Most of these are zoned to HISD which is not necessarily the best but does have some good schools or good private schools near by. A little further out, you have Memorial, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Hunters Creek, Hedwig Village etc.. A little further out than that, you have Jersey Village. Outside the beltway you have Kingwood, Clear Lake, Katy area, Sugarland, Spring, Champions, Tomball, Friendswood, Clear Lake, Cypress, the Woodlands etc. all have various school districts none of which are aweful.
Just depends on your price range and tastes.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,233,736 times
Quote:
No I am not trying to turn this into a race based discussion. All I was saying is that while Kingwood and The Woodlands are the most gorgeous areas of Greater Houston, even as my favorites, the minus for me is that they are not racially diverse. That's a fact.
If you like lots a trees their pretty but if you like water, a person might consider living bayside in Seabrook more georgous. All depends on taste. The open coastal prairie out in Katy area also has a unique beauty when it is undefiled.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,735,529 times
Quote:
...Kingwood and The Woodlands are the most gorgeous areas of Greater Houston, even as my favorites, the minus for me is that they are not racially diverse. That's a fact.
*sigh* ...and we wonder why there are still race issues today in 2007!

What does it matter what someone's skin color is as long as the area is nice, safe, friendly, and generally wholesome for families? Would you prefer to put your family in a diverse, inner-city, pseudo-war zone over Kingwood or The Woodlands? Do a bunch of white people living next to you make you feel uncomfortable? Honestly, it sounds like the vast majority of the United States, and the world for that matter, would be a "minus for you" due to lack of ''diversity''. Because a 90% white city of 50,000 like the Woodlands can be a lot more diverse than what you think based only on what you see on the outside!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
*sigh* ...and we wonder why there are still race issues today in 2007!

What does it matter what someone's skin color is as long as the area is nice, safe, friendly, and generally wholesome for families? Would you prefer to put your family in a diverse, inner-city, pseudo-war zone over Kingwood or The Woodlands? Do a bunch of white people living next to you make you feel uncomfortable? Honestly, it sounds like the vast majority of the United States, and the world for that matter, would be a "minus for you" due to lack of ''diversity''. Because a 90% white city of 50,000 like the Woodlands can be a lot more diverse than what you think based only on what you see on the outside!
I know what you're getting at, so I'm going to kind of steer clear of that particular conversation and just say that skin color is not the ultimate issue, rather, in a city where the diversity of a city and its culture is so loved and enjoyed, you would think that such a praised town as The Woodlands would reflect that.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Diversity is always a good thing, no matter where you are.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,452,541 times
I would disagree. Not that I'm into homogeneity, but blanket statements like this are idiotic politically correct mantras.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:20 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,735,529 times
Quote:
...rather, in a city where the diversity of a city and its culture is so loved and enjoyed, you would think that such a praised town as The Woodlands would reflect that.

Why in the world would you think that? The Woodlands is 30 miles approx from Downtown Houston, and up to 60 miles from the SW and SE fringes of the city limit. When you're talking about almost every city in the US, when you get that far away in distance from the hub, the "diversity" tends to disappear quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston