Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times

Advertisements

The rental market is very good here in the right areas of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley.g View Post
ow is the rental market there for homes. Even if we do decide to rent for more then 1 year . purchasing a property and renting it in the meanwhile sounds like something that would interest me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
The List: Alison Cook's Top 100 Restaurants - Houston Chronicle

Pass, Uchi, and Underbelly are all very good. I have never been to Oxheart. It depends on what you dig. Tex-Mex is what Houston is known for. I would do El Tiempo or Lupe Tortillas.

This is a solid list of the best places to eat in Houston. It is a foodie list. There are no decent beaches within 6 hours of Houston. Galveston is a dump. Nightlife is at Midtown. Try Dogwood, Pub Fiction, Celtic, and Gas Lamp. All are walking distance from each other.

I would hit Hermann Park which is in the Museum/Medical district. Discovery Green downtown is really cool. The Arboretum in Memorial Park is awesome. Buffalo Bayou Park is under construction.

Shopping is all over Houston. There are tiny shops scattered about Montrose and the Heights. The main shopping areas are Rice Village, Highland Village, and the Galleria.

If you want to see a really pretty neighborhood drive through River Oaks.

We currently have a housing shortage for rentals and purchase. There is just very little inventory on the market because we have so many people moving here.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:20 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Many people undervalue Galveston as a local amenity, but most people living here have a fond opinion of Galveston overall. It is an hour out of downtown Houston so will shoot the better part of a day if you want to visit, but then again you may want to visit coastal Houston and make Galveston part of a trip that includes Kemah and Clear Lake as well. If Lake living is what you are looking for then Pedro's suggestion of Kingwood should take precedent on your trip, it is the only recreational freshwater lake (skiing , boating) within an hour of downtown. Clear Lake is recreational as well but is brackish water and is more coastal in nature

Old 11-18-2013, 06:35 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Oxheart sells out their reservations 3 months ahead. And only schedule for a quarter at a time. It is very good. I grew up in kingwood and i dont know any horror stories from kids that are different from any other burb (boring, drugs,dumb parents).a house for 175k would be pushing it and would most likely be small or need work

Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
These are all pretty pricey restaurant recommendations. Don't forget that the OPs have a combined income of $70k in NYC which means they'll make around $40k in Houston. At this budget I can only think of Pearl Land or the far south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
The List: Alison Cook's Top 100 Restaurants - Houston Chronicle

Pass, Uchi, and Underbelly are all very good. I have never been to Oxheart. It depends on what you dig. Tex-Mex is what Houston is known for. I would do El Tiempo or Lupe Tortillas.

This is a solid list of the best places to eat in Houston. It is a foodie list. There are no decent beaches within 6 hours of Houston. Galveston is a dump. Nightlife is at Midtown. Try Dogwood, Pub Fiction, Celtic, and Gas Lamp. All are walking distance from each other.

I would hit Hermann Park which is in the Museum/Medical district. Discovery Green downtown is really cool. The Arboretum in Memorial Park is awesome. Buffalo Bayou Park is under construction.

Shopping is all over Houston. There are tiny shops scattered about Montrose and the Heights. The main shopping areas are Rice Village, Highland Village, and the Galleria.

If you want to see a really pretty neighborhood drive through River Oaks.

We currently have a housing shortage for rentals and purchase. There is just very little inventory on the market because we have so many people moving here.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
The rumor that Houston is 'affordable' is still somewhat true compared to other major cities. But it is not cheap by any means. A combined income of 70k still wont get you a whole lot, but more than you'd get in NYC. You will still be 45 minutes from the city center unless you move into a transitional area.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:56 AM

16 posts, read 27,463 times
mkwensky,
both the wife and i work for JP morgan. as for the Salary it will remain unchanged . After speaking to HR

Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Some centrally located restaurants that many visitors and more than a few Houstonians enjoy:

Lupe Tortilla's or Pappasito's for TexMex.
Hugo's -- for regional Mexican cuisine (not TexMex).
Goode Company Barbecue (with all the trimmings) -- don't miss their pecan pie for dessert or takeout.

For takeout -- maybe a picnic -- visit Central Market on Westheimer @ Weslayan. Huge selection of hot and cold dishes, deli, plus groceries.

Allison Cook's list of places to eat was recommended as a guide. Even good places open, close and change hours without warning, so it's best to check before going.

Our local Gulf seafood is excellent. Perhaps someone here will have a suggestion for a seafood restaurant where everything is NOT deep-fried!

OP, you talked about "getting some sun" during your visit. We don't have Florida's climate, so please don't be disappointed if it's chilly, cloudy or rainy for some -- or all -- of the time you're here. Houston weather during December could be in the 70's or the 30's. Just keep checking the 7-day NOAA forecast online before leaving NY and dress in layers while you're here.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:00 PM

74 posts, read 141,596 times
I'd stick with the west side of spring and the woodlands. Kingwood is nice, but being as you are both in your mid-twenties the woodlands has a better social scene for meeting more professionals and young married couples. There's a lot more to do in the woodlands as compared to Kingwood. Midtown, Tomball and the Heights are also great areas, but the Heights and midtown might be a little pricier the more central part of Houston you get. I wish you two luck on your search!

The woodlands has a little information center where you can visit and discuss with and advisor about the area and can get some good information. It's off Woodlands Parkway if you decide to make a trek north on your trip.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:30 PM

141 posts, read 306,775 times
NYC to Houston? Why?

Well if you must ..don't leave the inner-loop. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston