Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 PM

26 posts, read 128,829 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I'm looking at possibly building a house (approx 1500-1700 sq ft) in Katy. I work in Energy Corridor so being closer to I-10 is better.

I've looked at these two subdivisions and wanted to get your thoughts on which is better...
Stone Crest - near I-10 and Grand Parkway (99)
[url=http://stonecresttx.com/]New Homes in Katy, Texas | Stone Crest[/url]
This subdivision is near Katy Mills Mall and near where Costco plans to come in. It doesn't have much shopping yet but once the new Grand Parkway Segment E completes, I think there will be a boom in developments... possibly raising house values... and more traffic??

Castle Rock - near Franz Rd and Westgreen Blvd
[url=http://www.castlerockvillage.net/]Castle Rock Village, new homes in Katy, new home builder houston[/url]
Don't know much about this area other than it is close to I-10... the school district i heard is worst out of all schools in Katy ISD... possibly hurting resale value???

I work near Eldridge and I-10 so how is commute from these two locations in the morning around 8am and afternoon around 5-6pm ?

Are there other subdivisions I should look as well for homes around (150k ~ 200k)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,387,150 times
What are the zoned schools? I know more about the schools than the neighborhoods. You can also try Hickory Creek. It has great schools, but the homes are older.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 PM

Nottingham Country and Silver Ranch have homes in your price range that are zoned to really good schools.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,187 times
Default Is a new home a must?

I've had several complaints from people who have bought a house on the north side of the I-10(because it's cheaper) and then they have regretted it. If you absolutely must have a newer home then out of those 2 chose Stone Crest. If you have flexibility then I would say find something ON THE SOUTH SIDE of the I-10. The north side of the 10 does not have the same quality of schools and seems to be getting increasingly full of riff raff. There have been murders, car break-ins, HOME INVASIONS!! there are several Trailer Parks peppered throughout the North side of the 10 as well and believe me all the new cheap homes up there will attract people who are escaping areas of Houston that are much worse. North Fry Rd is riddled with Graffiti as are many of the neighborhoods that are off of it. A large amount of the North side houses are owned by investors and are rental homes. I will stop now but here is a small example of the crime up there>>>
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=9268192
http://[domain blocked due to sp...4CUCLQ43V0B0AV
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8892756

If you can deal with an older home then I would suggest Nottingham or Memorial Parkway or even West Memorial or Governors Place on the south side of the 10 . You may even be able to squeeze into Cinco Ranch for 200k. Also what about Westheimer Lakes? I believe that these will have stronger resale value too.

Last edited by jd433; 10-27-2013 at 10:31 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 11:00 PM

Resale will be better in homes south of I10, but the north side is decent to good in places. There are poorer parts too, but it's not the ghetto. The south side has some homes in your price range, and that is where I would recommend that you live.

There were some neighborhoods north of I10 that had numerous foreclosures and this caused some issues.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
What are the zoned schools? I know more about the schools than the neighborhoods. You can also try Hickory Creek. It has great schools, but the homes are older.
for Stone Crest, they are...
Morton Ranch High School
Katy Junior High
King Elementary

For Castle Rock, they are...
Morton Ranch High School
Morton Ranch Junior High
Franz Elementary

Old 10-27-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Nottingham Country and Silver Ranch have homes in your price range that are zoned to really good schools.
Silver Ranch seems really nice but I'm a little concerned about the commute from there to I-10/Eldridge.
It seems like anything west of 99 and south of I-10 would be bad for commute.
How bad would it be?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:51 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,568,098 times
There are some good neighborhoods north of I-10, but I wouldn't choose Castle Rock. If you move north of I-10, Williamsburg Settlement is a very nice older neighborhood with mature trees and pretty houses. It's zoned to Winborn Elementary (inside the subdivision), Morton Ranch Junior High, and Morton Ranch High School. Winborn is a great school, and so are the junior high and high school. The latter two get a bad reputation in the area, but it's undeserved. I was worried about my daughter moving to the junior high, but I've come to love it. I've heard many parents who have kids at the high school say it's a good school as well.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:54 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I've had several complaints from people who have bought a house on the north side of the I-10(because it's cheaper) and then they have regretted it. If you absolutely must have a newer home then out of those 2 chose Stone Crest. If you have flexibility then I would say find something ON THE SOUTH SIDE of the I-10. The north side of the 10 does not have the same quality of schools and seems to be getting increasingly full of riff raff. There have been murders, car break-ins, HOME INVASIONS!! there are several Trailer Parks peppered throughout the North side of the 10 as well and believe me all the new cheap homes up there will attract people who are escaping areas of Houston that are much worse. North Fry Rd is riddled with Graffiti as are many of the neighborhoods that are off of it. A large amount of the North side houses are owned by investors and are rental homes. I will stop now but here is a small example of the crime up there>>>
Friends, family remember 18-year-old killed in Katy-area roadway shooting | abc13.com
http://[domain blocked due to spam]/city/katy-tx/T444CUCLQ43V0B0AV
Four arrested following home invasion in Katy | abc13.com

If you can deal with an older home then I would suggest Nottingham or Memorial Parkway or even West Memorial or Governors Place on the south side of the 10 . You may even be able to squeeze into Cinco Ranch for 200k. Also what about Westheimer Lakes? I believe that these will have stronger resale value too.
Hmm, that's strange because I get the Katy ISD Stranger Danger Alerts, and lately they've all come from the south side of I-10. There is also crime there as well.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:33 AM

872 posts, read 827,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Friends, family remember 18-year-old killed in Katy-area roadway shooting | abc13.com
http://[domain blocked due to spam]/city/katy-tx/T444CUCLQ43V0B0AV
Four arrested following home invasion in Katy | abc13.com

I live on the North Side of I-10, not in Katy - but off of I-10 and Eldridge. The North side of I-10 has very nice areas. It depends on where on the North side of I-10 that you live. There are plenty of neighborhoods on the South side of I-10 that are not that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston