Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM

102 posts, read 212,190 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I have been serious about purchasing a home for about 6 months now with not much luck, probably because we're first time home buyers and not sure exactly what we want.

We want to buy in Sugar Land as we have a lot of family and friends there. We looked at Riverstone earlier this year but thought it was over-priced. We looked at Riverpark east (older) and the schools are in Lamar ISD so we skipped on it. Fast forward a few months, and we're in the same spot but prices have gone up everywhere.

Even though we don't care for school district right now since we don't have kids, our family and realtor advise us to buy in the FBISD school district. They say that if we buy in Riverpark now, and decide to move in the next 5-10 years, prices of homes in areas like Riverstone, Telfair, etc. will be significantly higher relative to prices in Riverpark and the move will cost a lot more then.

What do you guys think...should we wait for a cheaper home to come on the market in New Territory with our likings, or should we build a new home in Riverstone?

We like Riverstone but it just seems so much more expensive then it was 1 year ago. Those with experience, please advise.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
I live in Riverstone and like it. We were worried coming form living in the loop about if the property value would maintain or go up and almost immediately after buying the prices started to go up. We are happy with that. The prices are not going up nearly as much as the nice areas in Houston but that's OK.

There has been talk about school rezoning in the future as well as building an elementary inside Riverstone. I haven't paid much attention to it, but it would be worth looking into especially if you are considering it based on the schools you would currently be zoned to.

The taxes are quite high and will be for a while. If you are looking for new or near new it is a great MPC in my opinion. If you prefer a more mature area with trees and don't mind a bit older home there are some really nice areas in Sugar land also that will not be subject to the school rezoning that may\will happen in Riverstone.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks hendersj31. We're also living inside the loop but work in downtown and TMC. Where do you guys work? Is the commute tolerable?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times
We also live in Riverstone. We are very happy here and have no complaints so far. I agree with the previous poster in that it depends on what you really want. New Territory is great, with great schools. But it is older. If you want newer, Riverstone fits the bill. The currently zoned schools are great. There is the possibility of rezoning, but I think that can happen anywhere within the district to be honest.

As for commute, my husband works in the galleria area, and he has no trouble with that commute.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 PM

I work in the galleria area as well and since I work 7-4 typically, I have no issues with commute. It is about a 35 minute ride door to door right at 20 miles. 59 is usually moving very well during the times I drive it.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I work in the galleria area as well and since I work 7-4 typically, I have no issues with commute. It is about a 35 minute ride door to door right at 20 miles. 59 is usually moving very well during the times I drive it.
My husband leaves work at 4pm too (or tries to anyway). Any later, and the traffic gets much worse.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:24 PM

Swope/henders,

What size homes do you have in Riverstone and what year build? I'd like to use a good estimate for what my utility bills would be on average for a 3200 sq. ft home. Electric, gas, water?

Old 10-14-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny144 View Post
Swope/henders,

What size homes do you have in Riverstone and what year build? I'd like to use a good estimate for what my utility bills would be on average for a 3200 sq. ft home. Electric, gas, water?
Our home is 4200 sq ft, 2013 build. Last month, our bills were approx: $220 electricity, $30 gas, $140 sewer/water. Hope that helps.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Sure does. Thanks. Anyone else living in Riverstone, what do your utilities look like each month?

Also, is there a homestead exemption for Sugar Land? I've heard people say the taxes are calculated on 85% of the appraised value (15% off), while others say it's only $15,000 off the appraised value only for the ISD tax calculation. Can someone shed some more light on this?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:56 PM

About 4800 SQ feet. Electric about 250 water 130. House was built 2009. We could likely do a lot better on electric, but with kids and all we don't even try.....
We also have a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston