Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,180 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to HOU from CA in 2 months for work. I'm in my mid 20s so I'd def like to live close the "best" of HOU. I also won't be having a car for 1st 3-6 months so will be using public transportation. I'm looking for a good area or aptartments(600-750 1bed budget) where there's more ppl around my age than seniors, less time commuting from/to IAH and downtown HOU. Please help thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:58 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,210,253 times
That budget is low for the best areas, especially those more inclined towards young singles. Add to this Houston's lack of good public transportation. Also, IAH and downtown are not close (a good 25 miles). Best get a car.

I have to ask: what is the rent for an apartment in the best area in the California city where you are now? Southern California, right?

Old 09-16-2013, 03:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,180 times
I will be working at IAH and from what I have googled so far public transportation is very poor in HOU and crime rates are very high in cities closest to IAH like greenspoint. Really don't know what to do or where to look so any help will be appreciated.

Rent is very high in SoCal and SF. I have a house and I pay 2300, beaches, downtown LA, pasadena, west Hollywood can cost you 1300+ for a 1 bed apt. easy. Anywhere else would be 750+.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,102,985 times
Maybe someone else could help me but when's that rail gonna be finished that stretch north to 45? Transportation will be difficult to iah. Just as in LA I wouldn't be able to take a train from Burbank to lax direct.

Other than that, yes your budget is very low to experience the best parts of Houston. Just because hou is cheaper doesnt mean you can move here, pay $650 and live like a queen/king in an awesome area. There are tons of engineers, oil and gas professionals who make more money than they could find in LA

My only suggestion is finding a private landlord and getting a place along the rail that currently exists- from med center towards downtown. Maybe renting a loft or small place downtown even where it's still picking up popularity?

Last edited by eastontracks; 09-16-2013 at 08:07 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 11:01 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,210,253 times
Rent in Kingwood, to stay in a decent area near IAH. Still need a car, though.

My impression of most cities is that the areas closest to the airports tend not to be terrific.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:37 PM

69 posts, read 205,115 times
Default Moving to Houston

Don't let screwy numbers fool you. There are some good places and not so good places in Greenspoint. The apt communities near IAH with bad ratings would add up to less than one jot or one title.

To travel where no bus dare go, Houston has van/car pools that will get you to just about every major employment center in a 5 county area. If they don't have one to your job, they will help you start one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston