Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 AM

34 posts, read 105,343 times

Advertisements

I find it very easy to navigate the Boston transit system. I'm struggling with the Houston Transit. I have some questions about how the Houston Transit system works. I visited the Metro website, and it was helpful to an extend. They really should create a FAQ tab for new residents. I'm surprised no one has thought of that. After reviewing both of these links I just need some clarification. http://www.ridemetro.org/SchedulesMa...s/PR_Guide.pdf
Ride Guide

So a 1 way fare for METRO buses and trains is $1.25? and it's better to buy a MetroQ card for convenience?
Is there an additional cost to use the Park n Rides? So not all the park n ride location charge for parking?
I read some of the Park n Ride location have limited operational hours until 4pm? How does that work with individuals that work later?
I plan to get an apartment somewhere close to the Galleria, Westheimer road area or maybe Medical Center...I'm trying to avoid long commutes and all that crazy traffic . I will be working at the Medical Center.
Can you share some tips for using the METRO and Park -n- Rides in general and to the Texas Medical Center.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM

418 posts, read 742,252 times
The Park & Ride buses are usually for the longer commutes and, with a couple of exceptions, they take you straight downtown. I'm not aware of any P&R lots close to downtown, but I could be wrong. There is no charge to park your car at the P&R lots. The P&R buses are the taller ones with comfortable seats. If you need to go short distances, you will be on the "city buses" and they are smaller, shorter and usually have those nasty hard seats. Unless there are new options, if, for instance, you want to go from the west side of town to the Medical Center, you would need to take a bus into downtown, and then find the train to take for the rest of your commute. You can do the "trip planner" option online, or call Metro and get them to walk you through the steps.

The rates are different. It just depends on how far you're going. The P&Rs use the "zone" to determine the charge. For example, I-10 at Highway 6 is Zone 3, but a little farther out (Katy), it's considered Zone 4 (higher price). You can either pay cash or get a prepaid "Q" card that you just tap on the fare box upon entering the bus. Watch the screen and it will tell you the balance on your card after deducting for that trip.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 AM

19 posts, read 34,523 times
I just moved here from NYC and love public transportation. Unfortunately, I can't help you too much yet on your question except to say that I looked into the bus system as well and it did not look very convenient at all unless you lived on specific routes. Having said that, you can certainly set it up so that you are one of the routes. Just be aware that places by the Galleria and Westheimer have crazy local traffic so there's a chance that the buses may get stuck too. Parts of Westheimer are under construction right now which just adds to the traffic.

Medical Center would be nice and an easy commute. If you take the light rail, you'll find that it can be sketchy at times. The times I rode it were around midday and it was pretty empty except a few drug addict looking people. They didn't bother me at all though. I've only taken it from downtown into the medical center. Ticket machines were all broken at my stop. Know other people who ride it occasionally so maybe during rush hour its better.

If you're into short commute and also want to be in a nice neighborhood near some commercial stuff, you may want to look into the apartments on the northern sections of West University and University Place. Can be walkable (or you can get a bike) to the Medical Center / pretty easy access to upper kirby shops, montrose, and the galleria areas.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
One thing for sure, if you have to make any transfers between busses or to/from the train, you need the Q card to get the free transfer. And some employers give discounts on the bus fare too. Mine gives me a 25% extra credit, so I only pay $1.00 for the local bus and $3.00 for the $3.75 Park N Ride buses. Most Park N Ride buses run very often (15-20min) until after 6:00pm, and then they are cut down to 30 min and then every hour until 9:00pm or so.

The only Park N Ride lots closer in town are the NW transit center at I-10 and 610, and the West Loop center at Braeswood & 610 and the Fannin center at the south end of the train line.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Definitely get a card. That's going to be more convenient in any system.

All I can say is you're using a system that is not nearly as developed as Boston's. The effort to get light rail to the Galleria area has been stalled. You might pick up on this forum that this is a big political thing. What you do have along Westheimer is one of the more reliable bus lines, with both the 81 and 82 running from downtown to there and places beyond and in between. It's a long ride, though, and the bus is in the same traffic as everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks82
...I looked into the bus system as well and it did not look very convenient at all unless you lived on specific routes.
Pretty much. You have the right idea though.

The buses have had GPS onboard for years but have only talked around establishing the ability to track buses in real time on your phone. Getting to guess when your bus will get there is probably the single biggest hassle with the bus system, and the single biggest advantage to rail or anything else in its own right of way.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Unlike many cities (such as Boston, I'm assuming), most folks who are not otherwise economically constrained are more likely to use transit if they live in outer suburban areas - specifically, the Park and Ride services - than if they lived closer in town, where it's more likely they'll just drive. This is because we don't have local city transit that (1) doesn't suffer from being stuck in general traffic and having stops every couple blocks and (2) high-frequency service. The Westheimer route (81/82) has the latter but not the former; it doesn't serve the Medical Center anyway. The Red Line light rail is really the only route that has both features. METRO made a half-hearted attempt to improve service with the Bellaire QuickLine, which does serve the Medical Center, but it really doesn't provide enough service to be meaningful, and it still sits in traffic.

Your best bet is to live walking distance to a Red Line light rail stop - this means Midtown, Museum District, the eastern edge of Montrose or across from Reliant Center along Fannin. Also, the Park and Ride to the Medical Center stops at the Northwest Transit Center, but I'm not sure there's much housing within walking distance.

Get a Q card.

Because bus service on most routes is so infrequent, try to avoid having to transfer on your commute unless it's from high-fequency route to high-frequency route. Not sure if our few high-frequency routes actually intersect though.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
It's a long ride, but the 81/82 buses will connect with the Red Line downtown.

I've been known to get off that bus in Midtown on Louisiana and hike a couple blocks to the McGowen rail station to get southward instead of riding it to Main Street Square, which is a few stops in the other direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: