Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 02:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times

Advertisements

Ok first time poster. Let me begin by telling this story. Im living in Las Vegas and met my wife here 5 years ago. She is a native Texan for 36 years (Humble). She been here for 16 and hates it as much as the rest of us. She always talked about going home some day so since I never been to Texas I said lets just take a long vacation there. She never stopped talking about Lake Livingston where her dad took the kids fishing and camping nearly every weekend.

So in 2005 we took the RV down and stayed in Wolf Creek in Coldspring right on the lake. I fell so hard for the beauty of the area I went ahead and bought some property without her knowing it. Well she was off with her kid to Astro Land which closed that year. When she got back I told her this is where we are retiring. She has no problem with that. Her sisters still live in Cleveland and Shepherd.

So 7 trips since that first one has taken us down the coast line which I fell for too. Especially Crystal Beach. Now that the new bridge is a wash, Im not sure we want to get involved in taking a ferry to work in Galveston. So north we would go.

Anyone commute that ride to Beaumont or any of the small towns near? I read in Wall Street Today that Port Arthur has the highest home appreaciation rate in the USA now, 21%. Oops should I have disclosed that secret? That is saying alot considering nearly all the country's homes are losing value at an alarming rate. Forbes Magizine says 3 of the top 10 cities to flip a home are in South Texas. All the demographics show south Texas more then 5% below the affordability indexes. It ain't going to stay that way forever.

So we are ready to move in the spring. No amount of researching can compare with what people say who actually live there and commute. Please give some input.

What does homeowners insurance cost on the coast?

I can not wait to go fishing again.

Thanks all in advance !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston