Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 AM

101 posts, read 307,582 times

Advertisements

My upstairs AC is not cooling well. It can maintain 76-77°F but the unit runs day and night to do that. Technician came to check it, and found that the evaporator coil is rusted and shot, and leaking. So now I'm considering changing just the evaporator coil vs. changing out the whole system. The downstairs unit is working fine.

The house is 10 years old, so the AC units may have lived their life. If I change just the evaporator coil, the unit may die in the next couple of years and need to be changed. I feel like I will pay much more to have things done piecemeal i.e. coil this year, ac unit 2 years later vs. changing everything out now. A new unit means i will need the new refrigerant since my current units have freon.

1. Any point in changing out just the evaporator coil? Anyone know how much this usually costs?
2. How much does changing the whole system cost typically? I know there willbe some variation depending on what brand I choose
3. Can you recommend a company to do this work? I live in Pearland.

Thanks!

Last edited by elnina; 07-18-2013 at 04:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 AM

811 posts, read 1,559,422 times
We just had the same thing last month, decided to bite the bullet and replace both coils and condensers, 2 ton and 4 ton. After 3 quotes and looking at lots of reviews, we went with Sears. We got the extended warranty for 10 years and a 5 year service agreement. The units were on sale so we figured why not, these things aren't built to last anymore! We couldn't get any higher than 16 SEER as we didn't need to replace the furnaces.
$10, 500. My bill last year for this month was $231 @ 8.7 kwh. This year it is $176 @ 8.8kwh. We also changed out our pool pump for a variable speed so that has helped as well I am sure. I am quite happy so far!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 AM

101 posts, read 307,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
We just had the same thing last month, decided to bite the bullet and replace both coils and condensers, 2 ton and 4 ton. After 3 quotes and looking at lots of reviews, we went with Sears. We got the extended warranty for 10 years and a 5 year service agreement. The units were on sale so we figured why not, these things aren't built to last anymore! We couldn't get any higher than 16 SEER as we didn't need to replace the furnaces.
$10, 500. My bill last year for this month was $231 @ 8.7 kwh. This year it is $176 @ 8.8kwh. We also changed out our pool pump for a variable speed so that has helped as well I am sure. I am quite happy so far!
Thanks for the info. I figured that it will cost me about $4-5K.

Can I ask who you got estimates from and what brand you installed? I am getting quotes from Church Services, Costco, and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:08 PM

811 posts, read 1,559,422 times
Church Services and I can't remember offhand who the other was, don't have the paperwork any more. They were all pretty close. We went with Kenmore. I looked at all the different brands and I think my eyes were crossing in the end! You get good reviews and bad reviews with all of them and not one stood out that I could find. That is why we went with an extended warranty (which we don't normally do). I didn't think about Costco. I will be interested to see how they compare with the others you get quotes from.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 PM

799 posts, read 2,444,171 times
Air Systems Matt Cartwright (owner) 281-842-1125

Ive used this guy in Pearland twice now. Class act, which is extremely rare in the AC business.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:41 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,702,188 times
I just replaced my entire AC a few weeks ago. My compressor was shot and tripping the breaker. I could have just replaced the outside unit, but R22 is pricey. It would be a matter of time before my coil failed. I bit the bullet and put in a seer 16 system. That means you have to put in a new variable speed furnace too. While I was at it I put in a UV light and 16 merv filter. After pulled the unit out. My coil was on its last legs. Most AC companies will ********* over. I paid about 7000 for everything. It is a 4ton Goodman system. I like Goodman because they have a 10 year warranty and honestly a Trane or Carrier are not really any better. They both use the same brand of compressors and coils. I could have had mine installed cheaper if I wanted to wait till the summer is over.

Replacing the coil should not run more than 2K.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,533,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
these things aren't built to last anymore!
You aren't kidding. My system is only about 3 years old and already I've had to replace the dual capacitors in both the upstairs and downstairs unit. They don't make them like they used to.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM

47 posts, read 175,939 times
Let's face it... you don't have to spend a ton of money getting all the bells and whistles if the upstairs is not your priority. While I actually work for Trane, they tend to be a bit expensive to buy (although I have one on my house because I believe they are the best) You can get a new decent Goodman system for around 3.5 - 4k installed. This would include your outside condenser and inside furnace/coil. I would also HIGHLY suggest getting a fresh air intake on your interior furnace, this will make your house much more comfortable on the days your unit isn't running long.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:22 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,730,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I just replaced my entire AC a few weeks ago. My compressor was shot and tripping the breaker. I could have just replaced the outside unit, but R22 is pricey. It would be a matter of time before my coil failed. I bit the bullet and put in a seer 16 system. That means you have to put in a new variable speed furnace too.
No it doesn't. Several years ago we had the conversion done to R410A, new evaporator + a 16 seer outside unit & left the original furnace alone. Eventually the 2-speed motor died and I put in a new, slightly higher RPM & lower power motor in myself w/ a new cap. It was explained to me the efficiency is more like 15 seer in this setup, but it works fine. If you have stainless heat exchangers in your furnace it is probably never cost effective to change it out, since it is hardly used around here. But if you like having the newest, fashionable appliances then by all means, go for it.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,702,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
No it doesn't. Several years ago we had the conversion done to R410A, new evaporator + a 16 seer outside unit & left the original furnace alone. Eventually the 2-speed motor died and I put in a new, slightly higher RPM & lower power motor in myself w/ a new cap. It was explained to me the efficiency is more like 15 seer in this setup, but it works fine. If you have stainless heat exchangers in your furnace it is probably never cost effective to change it out, since it is hardly used around here. But if you like having the newest, fashionable appliances then by all means, go for it.
It costs like 600 bucks. As long as you are upstairs putting in the coil it makes sense. . Especially, when you consider resale. I also added a bunch of IAQ crap because I have bad allergies. I was replacing a 12 year old unit. It will be more like a seer 14 setup though. I have two good friends who are hvac engineers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston