Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,443 times

Advertisements

Can you elaborate more on the nature of the GT program? Do the kids get anything more than just differentiation within their regular classroom or is that the extent of it? It's so hard to get a clear answer from their website and I didn't do much better asking at the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:49 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Can you elaborate more on the nature of the GT program? Do the kids get anything more than just differentiation within their regular classroom or is that the extent of it? It's so hard to get a clear answer from their website and I didn't do much better asking at the school.
That's pretty much FBISD in a nutshell. They know the wealthier kids will be okay, regardless and the parents truly run everything.

Essentially, it's neutered land.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,511 times
Quote:
Yes, it is like that in FBISD. My son is in GT there (he will be in 4th grade this upcoming school year and has been GT since Kindergarten). It may be a little different in middle and high school though. I really wish I could get more information about it.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM

So what makes it a program then if they're still in the same room, with the same kids and same teacher learning the same stuff? What exactly are you testing in or qualifying for? Our old school didn't have any GT program but they pulled some kids out to do advanced reading and math in some grades. If FBISD isn't even doing that how can they say they have a program, or worse, make people test for it?!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,511 times
At the elementary level, at least, they are supposed to do extra projects for enrichment. At our former elementary school in Richmond, my son's teachers did have him do some extra science projects because my son is very into science. In the third grade, his ELA teacher had him do some extra poetry because he is also into poetry. We moved to Sugar Land in March and switched schools, and he didn't do anything special with his new teacher at all. There was a GT elementary showcase in May at Clements HS, but my son and his class did nothing at all for it (it was supposed to be presenting special projects done by the GT students).

Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
So what makes it a program then if they're still in the same room, with the same kids and same teacher learning the same stuff? What exactly are you testing in or qualifying for? Our old school didn't have any GT program but they pulled some kids out to do advanced reading and math in some grades. If FBISD isn't even doing that how can they say they have a program, or worse, make people test for it?!
It's not a very good program if you are coming from another state because quite frankly, Texas schools aren't as good as schools in most states.

I will get ripped on a lot for saying that, but if you want the G-d honest truth, ask a transfer from California how they feel about the schools here. Or Illinois. Some even visit this forum.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM

102 posts, read 237,660 times
My children are returning to Aristoi Classical Academy in "old Katy"...it's a charter school. Since becoming classical a few years ago it has begun to grow significantly but is still a small school, K-8, scheduled to begin adding high school with grade nine in fall 2014. The curriculum is definitely accelerated, although I do have a struggling reader, ACA can accommodate various levels. All incoming grades have a required summer reading--including kinder. It has been approved to grow to 440 students next year, admissions are by lottery but there is sibling preference, meaning once one of your children gets in, the other bumps to first in line. I would call and ask what the wait is for grades you are looking at; if only one or two kids, you will likely be in before school starts. In the spirit of full disclosure: I will be teaching there next year.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 PM

63 posts, read 133,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It's not a very good program if you are coming from another state because quite frankly, Texas schools aren't as good as schools in most states.

I will get ripped on a lot for saying that, but if you want the G-d honest truth, ask a transfer from California how they feel about the schools here. Or Illinois. Some even visit this forum.
I moved here from CA. Our schools were so crappy that I was impressed with HISD.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 PM

I just moved here from Illinois and I'm also more impressed with the schools here than I was there. And we were in one of the 'top' districts in the state.

ACA looks interesting but their test scores scare me.

Last edited by Lbjen; 07-02-2013 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 AM

102 posts, read 237,660 times
Quote:

ACA looks interesting but their test scores scare me.
I've learned to be more scared of districts that have across-the-board exemplary ratings...a sure sign they are focused on #1 teaching to the test, and #2 maintaining the status quo. Neither are good for children with any kind of exceptionalities...speaking as a teacher and a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston