Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM

561 posts, read 976,125 times

Advertisements

I dont know about all the slow-downs in METRO construction of the various rail lines but the north side seems to be doing better than expected!

Metro says North rail line to open early - Houston Chronicle

Its great to finally see a new addition to the METRO Line after 10 years of the same cars going in a straight line.

Interesting it came from mostly federal funding though, I thought Houston had enough dough to do it on its own, but I'm not sure how all that works, perhaps someone else can enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:53 AM

686 posts, read 1,172,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I dont know about all the slow-downs in METRO construction of the various rail lines but the north side seems to be doing better than expected!

Metro says North rail line to open early - Houston Chronicle

Its great to finally see a new addition to the METRO Line after 10 years of the same cars going in a straight line.

Interesting it came from mostly federal funding though, I thought Houston had enough dough to do it on its own, but I'm not sure how all that works, perhaps someone else can enlighten me.
I don't know if they had enough to do it on their own, but the politicians basically tied Metro's hands behind it's back with that ballot initiative last November that killed any Metro profits from going towards rail and instead diverted it to road projects. I'm still pissed about that. And as much as I like Annise Parker, I'm still furious over her support of the diversion of funds.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 AM

2,193 posts, read 3,246,790 times
I really expect thousands to jump on it to head to Northline Mall....lol

Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM

18,194 posts, read 25,458,025 times
map?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,158,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
wow there is no northline mall, has not been for years, what there is the northline common shopping center which is always packed and crowed
at one of the worse intersection in houston

Old 05-24-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I'm sure the residents might use it to come into downtown. I think there is way more people living in that area that will use it to commute inwards then the original red line.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,664,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
I don't know if they had enough to do it on their own, but the politicians basically tied Metro's hands behind it's back with that ballot initiative last November that killed any Metro profits from going towards rail and instead diverted it to road projects. I'm still pissed about that. And as much as I like Annise Parker, I'm still furious over her support of the diversion of funds.
Metro turns a profit?

If something is built on tax payers dime how does it make money?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 PM

15,217 posts, read 30,677,918 times
If we ever get a national inter-city high speed rail network, we wouldn't need to talk about whether any city's local metro is getting used. Houston's big problem seems to be more with fare collection than anything. It wouldn't take a genius to, say, have that Q-card reader on the train as people go in instead of relying on the honor system and people hitting it on a machine on the platform. I guarantee when I go ride around DC's metro this summer I won't be seeing any of that.

Forward enough thinking would have this leading to a connection with commuter rail to The Woodlands, Kingwood, IAH etc. in the future. I tend not to think of "forward thinking" when it comes to transportation planning in Houston, but what the hell.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 PM

2,193 posts, read 3,246,790 times
I was being sarcastic...the idea it ends at Northline is comical when the airport is a few miles up the road...even could run it up airline and go to JFK

Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Metro turns a profit?

If something is built on tax payers dime how does it make money?
Fares and taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston