Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 PM

62,590 posts, read 88,679,079 times

Advertisements

Watch this animation for a description of why riding down the middle of the lane is considered safest. If you bike around town, you should consider "taking the lane." If you don't, you should at least be aware of why cyclists do this so you don't get all road rage-y. It seemed that a lot of people thought that cyclists who do this are just deliberately blocking traffic to be obnoxious.
Here is the animation:
narrowlane
Look at the animation. It isn't talking about riding down the middle of the lane everywhere they go, just when it's necessary to ensure they are visible to traffic that might otherwise kill them. Following the rules set forth by the savvy bicyclist in the animation goes a long way to making you and them safe - if you're in the middle of the road and you notice a car getting too close, you can at least get out of the way. If you're next to the curb, there's nowhere you can go...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 AM

346 posts, read 811,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
You're not allowed to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk in San Antonio.
City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - San Antonio Bikes
Your not allowed on the sidewalk in a lot of cities, I know for sure San Francisco because I was just there to visit. If you want a safe and very friendly place to ride a bike, ride in The Woodlands. As someone who has ridden for 6 years religiously mostly around bike trails, a lot of cars have been really kind. Just yesterday, a car stopped in the middle of 4 lane road to let me go, of course if there was traffic I would of waved for him to go, but it was just me and the car. It isn't the first time, it happens on many occasions and sometimes it is embarrassing to see it. So happy to have nice neighbors and actually seeing more people using the hike/bike paths. If you look correctly at traffic and ride safely, it is a nice and great place to workout, or get some fresh air. Have fun riding, it does your feelings good.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 AM

644 posts, read 1,360,517 times
So from the perspective of an avid cyclist....

First, taking the lane is the safest option for cyclists and I always take the lane. If that means riding down the middle of the lane, then so be it. If I take the lane then it forces the cars behind me to get into the other lane to pass me rather than trying to squeeze by me in the same lane.

Second, I follow all traffic rules because if I expect the same rights as motorists, I must follow the same rules as motorists.

Third, I do a lot of group rides. I avoid the chaotic group rides that I find inherently dangerous where the cyclists will run red lights, etc. Instead, I do the group rides where we use up one lane with a double pace line moving between 20-27 mph. These group rides travel between 70 and 100 miles so we end up in the suburbs. Honestly, the suburbs are much more stressful to cycle in than the city is. Even though we follow the rules, stay on less traveled roads, are very predictable and organized, we still get flack from drivers.

I would just say that it's not a matter of cyclists winning anything except maybe a bit more deserved respect for our safety.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:22 AM

61 posts, read 157,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I see nothing in the article to complain about.

Common sense.
You see the pedestrian or cyclist, you don't run them down .
What's so demanding about giving a cyclist three feet ?
Exactly

Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM

61 posts, read 157,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionlml View Post
I understand the law and think it will increase safety for the "regulars", but this is just going to encourage novice bike riders to try and ride on the street, which will get them either seriously injured or killed. The city should also limit how many people can ride in a pack at one time and should ban people from continuously riding on a street when there is a trail next to said street.
I guarantee you there are more novice bad drivers on the road over novice bike riders!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,918,316 times
Having a hard time getting my head around the bicycle(s) "taking the lane".... Maybe in slower moving stop/go traffic, or low volume areas, where there are four lanes....

Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,998,658 times
Respect bicyclists -- they are human beings and are mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, etc. Give them room when passing.

Bicyclists are legitimate traffic and just trying to get from point A to point B like you are. They are doing their part to reduce dependence on foreign oil, reduce pollution, stay fit/healthy, and reduce gridlock.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,998,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Common sense? Roads are made for cars not for bicycles. Might as well have people walk on the roads and slow the traffic to a crawl. Hey I have an idea. Lets start using bicycles on the freeways. That should get interesting

What about motorcycles?!

Maybe you should open your mind a bit and realize that not everyone can afford the exorbitant costs of owning a car. Maintenance, insurance, gas, cost of the car itself, licenses, and car accident costs are a huge drain.

Bicycles shouldn't be on the highways (70 mph+) but on regular city roads, bicyclists have every right that someone in a car has.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 AM

568 posts, read 906,903 times
So what about the bike lanes in the North Side just inside the loop? You're a foot away at most from them, death wish...

Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,430,941 times
I have to admit I'm on the fence about this, only because many cyclists don't seem to be exercising the same caution that I am. Even New Yorkers complain about their cyclists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston