Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,801,022 times

Advertisements

[Mod cut] Do I like bikes on the street? NO. Do I believe the new rules are stupid? YES

But with all that said doesn't mean I don't have respect for the human being, the guy next door, regardless of what you do, walk, bike, whatever. [Mod cut]

Last edited by elnina; 05-11-2013 at 01:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,154,284 times
What most people don't realize is that most states and municipalities, including Texas metros, have this type of law. Houston is behind the curve on this one. It's just new here.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 05-10-2013 at 07:28 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,454,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
I saw a lady riding up Waugh this morning, right in the middle of the right lane, acting like she owned the road! Fine and dandy, but when she got to the cars stopped at the light, she squeezed in between them and the curb, ran the red light, and then jumped back out into the middle of the lane again, forcing all the cars that had already passed her once, to have to pass her again. I can see how that action might anger some people, it certainly would irritate me.

Personally, there is no way I would ride in a city like Houston on the city streets. Give me a bike path or dedicated bike lane and then maybe.
In her case, I agree that she should have been stopped for running the red light since she is supposed to follow the laws of the road as well.

Can't really comment on her riding away from the curb since I wasn't there and didn't actually see how far into the street she was and I don't know what her personal comfort zone is/was.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:54 PM

427 posts, read 949,144 times
Quote:
I saw a lady riding up Waugh this morning, right in the middle of the right lane, acting like she owned the road! Fine and dandy, but when she got to the cars stopped at the light, she squeezed in between them and the curb, ran the red light, and then jumped back out into the middle of the lane again, forcing all the cars that had already passed her once, to have to pass her again. I can see how that action might anger some people, it certainly would irritate me.

Personally, there is no way I would ride in a city like Houston on the city streets. Give me a bike path or dedicated bike lane and then maybe.
I pull over so close to the curb at a red light that they can't squeeze in and move ahead. They have to wait behind me or pick up their bike and walk it around. That solves that problem.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:58 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,811,248 times
Quote:

Yup, I do agree... many cyclists give us a bad name. The only time I would pass a line of cars like that is if I was going to make the next turn or something that would have gotten me out of their way. I also would not have run the light. Would have stopped in the shoulder. What I would tend to do is ride along the shoulder until I rolled up to the light at which point I would then move more into the middle of the lane behind the last car, with more cars stacked behind me. This way I could proceed through the light, at the same speed as the cars, without anyone making a right turn into me, then move closer to the shoulder once through. This is on a single lane (each direction) road. As much as I knew I had the right to take the lane if needed, I was respectful of motorists who were faster than me, trying to give them some passing room. Coming down waugh in the mornings I took the right lane for sure. It was by far the safest thing, especially with two other lanes for cars to pass. But when i got to the light at allen pkwy, i made sure to stop BEHIND the last car. It's common sense. Some people have it, some choose to ignore it.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:08 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,703,300 times
I don't think a bike on the road has ever bothered me in my entire life. I live in the city and they are all over the place. I am a pretty impatient driver too. I have never had problems passing bicycles.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,468,544 times
it is what it is. i just ride on the sidewalk when there is one. i do wish cyclist who ride on the streets would have to carry insurance. becasue if you hit them, even if it is their fault, you are the bad guy. they should have to purchase a little extra insurance on top of their auto insurance. If i am riding my bike, and i am at fault when you hit me, you should not have to pay for my mistake.
You know in a heartbeat the first thing a cyclist will do, even if they are at fault, is try to sue. They should be required to have cycling insurance if they ride long distance runs.
Please dont reply by saying that a little kid will need insurance too. that would be silly. but if my kid gets hit and it was his fault for not looking, then i should pay for the medical bills, not the guy who hit him.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,154,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
it is what it is. i just ride on the sidewalk when there is one. i do wish cyclist who ride on the streets would have to carry insurance. becasue if you hit them, even if it is their fault, you are the bad guy. they should have to purchase a little extra insurance on top of their auto insurance. If i am riding my bike, and i am at fault when you hit me, you should not have to pay for my mistake.
You know in a heartbeat the first thing a cyclist will do, even if they are at fault, is try to sue. They should be required to have cycling insurance if they ride long distance runs.
Please dont reply by saying that a little kid will need insurance too. that would be silly. but if my kid gets hit and it was his fault for not looking, then i should pay for the medical bills, not the guy who hit him.
You're not allowed to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk in San Antonio.
City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - San Antonio Bikes

Old 05-14-2013, 02:13 PM

2,556 posts, read 4,063,371 times
My neighborhood association newsletter this month made a point of the fact that walkers and runners are not allowed in the street if there's a sidewalk there. Bikers, as has been pointed out, are not allowed on the sidewalk.

This all makes good sense, except for the fact that sidewalks in Houston are TERRIBLE. My friend opened up her knee to the bone when she tripped on an uneven sidewalk while we were running. I saw the bone. It was gross. She was screaming.

I guess my point is that there has to be a measure of sense and courtesy in all of this... It may be law that I have to run on the sidewalk, but I'm not going to. It's not safe. So please make room for me on the street. I'll be considerate and move to the side. Likewise, when I'm driving, I'll make room for bikes and runners and walkers. And I hope they'll be courteous.

Why is that so difficult? Why do drivers have to hate cyclists? Why do some people push their babies in strollers in the middle of the road, instead of on the side? I really think there's room for everyone, if people would just chill out a little.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 PM

61,922 posts, read 87,512,332 times
Comment of the Day: The Plea of the Anonymous Bicyclist » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape
Coming from Europe, where bicycles are present everywhere, I think that cyclists need to complete a course about traffic laws ( not every cyclist has drivers license), how to obey traffic laws, and behave on a public roads.
In Europe this is done in a first class, in elementary school ( because even small kids ride alone on public roads, in high traffic ).
Here a cyclist should just complete a course and get "license". Common sense is not common, and most of them might just don't know better. They should learn rules, and they should get tickets like everyone else, who does not follow the traffic rules and regulations.
That would be the right thing to do, not just allow them on the roads and let do whatever they want.

Car drivers should also learn to watch for motorcycles and bicycles on the roads they share. Many don't, sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston