Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,593,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Austin is better than Houston, but Houston is pretty good overall.
I have to disagree with you. At least from my standpoint. I am from Chicago originally. In many ways Chicago has a lot in common with both Houston and Austin. Let's pretend Houston and Austin were both neighborhoods in Chicago. Austin would be the neighborhood I would live in right after I graduated from college. Lots of young people. Lots of fun things to do. And it has a much "hipper" scene so to speak. Houston has more people that are married or in committed relationships. It has a beach nearby, a much prettier skyline and a scene that is way more eclectic. Houston has everything Austin has to offer in the arts and more. In other words, Austin is a city for kids. Houston is for grown-ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 AM

385 posts, read 1,577,364 times
[quote=tstone;1911733]Beaches are about 30-75 minutes depending on where in the city limits of Houston you live. Add more for bad traffic.

Thanks tstone!
I bet the beaches stay pretty busy in the summer.
I was in Padre Island a long time ago. It was wonderful!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
people are not punished for self defense.
a great freedom not enjoyed here.
????
I don't understand.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:14 AM

619 posts, read 2,171,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Your lying. There are so many people from LA that are moving/or have moved to Houston.
I`m one of them...can`t wait to move to Houston!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I have to disagree with you. At least from my standpoint. I am from Chicago originally. In many ways Chicago has a lot in common with both Houston and Austin. Let's pretend Houston and Austin were both neighborhoods in Chicago. Austin would be the neighborhood I would live in right after I graduated from college. Lots of young people. Lots of fun things to do. And it has a much "hipper" scene so to speak. Houston has more people that are married or in committed relationships. It has a beach nearby, a much prettier skyline and a scene that is way more eclectic. Houston has everything Austin has to offer in the arts and more. In other words, Austin is a city for kids. Houston is for grown-ups.
This is a great synopsis. Many Thanks!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,526,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'd give the "but why?" look too if I knew you were the same cat who carries on as you do here.

Make Houston a better place. Stay in LA. We have a surplus of whiners who can't be made happy as it is.
I agree with you, he should stay in LA! As to the question, Houston is great for the opportunities, downtown, weather, culture, parks, near the ocean and most of all the wonderful people here.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,746,251 times
[quote=MaddieClaire;1916282]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Beaches are about 30-75 minutes depending on where in the city limits of Houston you live. Add more for bad traffic.

Thanks tstone!
I bet the beaches stay pretty busy in the summer.
I was in Padre Island a long time ago. It was wonderful!

The beaches here do stay busy in the summer and quite often. It's really a local's playground more than anything. Galveston has its charm, though, and is a good afternoon hang-out town. But you may be turned off by the water, though the beaches have been cleaned up in recent years. Padre Island waters are a bit less muddy and the sand is whiter. Just don't come here expecting some west coast beach, or you'll be sorely disappointed.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:16 PM

[quote=tstone;1930004]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post

The beaches here do stay busy in the summer and quite often. It's really a local's playground more than anything. Galveston has its charm, though, and is a good afternoon hang-out town. But you may be turned off by the water, though the beaches have been cleaned up in recent years. Padre Island waters are a bit less muddy and the sand is whiter. Just don't come here expecting some west coast beach, or you'll be sorely disappointed.
Thanks tstone,
I've never been to a west coast beach and will have no comparison.... I'm more use to the South Carolina beaches.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,746,251 times
SC beaches are still more aesthetically appealing than Galveston's ever really can be. We're not near an ocean; we're near the muddy portion of a gulf.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,427,778 times
Galveston has gotten a lot better. RGV posted some photos a while back. You should see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston