Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,793 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We currently live in Austin and my husband got a job in Bellaire. We've never been to Houston as we're not really from Texas, and have only been in Austin for less than a year (we moved here so he could attend grad school). We love it here, and am really excited about the move. After exhaustive research I'm still having a hard time figuring out where we should live! We do plan on making a couple of visits soon, but I was hoping to sort of narrow down where we should go. We have a little girl so good elementary school is the most important. Originally looking at Katy but I keep reading the traffic is a nightmare. How is the traffic compared to here in Austin? He has flexible hours so he can leave early in the morning if that helps, and if it does, how long will the commute be then? I've also read there are tolls to pay, can anyone give me information on how much that is on average a week, or month, or for a pass? We've never lived in an area where we had to deal with tolls on a daily basis. We're planning on renting for a year, possibly longer while we get to know the area. We're hoping to get a 2 bedroom apartment for no more than $1100 a month.

In summary:
-Will be working in Bellaire, best affordable areas to live near there?
-Thoughts on commuting from Katy?
-Toll information?
-Area recommendations with good elementary schools? I know there are some schools that have a low rating as far as testing goes, but will read amazing reviews about the teachers and school itself. If anyone has an experience like this I would love to hear about it.
-Can we find a 2 bedroom rental for $1100 or less a month? Recommendations?
-Any other recommendations or advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,171,240 times
Missouri city or Sugar land.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM

914 posts, read 1,839,451 times
Katy is very very far away from Bellaire. The commute would be awful. You should be looking on the southwest side of Houston. You might find some apartments in or near Bellaire zip 77401 or nearby in Meyerland or Westbury that might meet your budget. As a general rule, the elementary schools in Bellaire are excellent.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,672,360 times
When my husband worked in Bellaire, we lived in Sugar Land.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,028,687 times
I believe there are some decent apartment complexes zoned to Herod Elementary. I'd check there first. I don't know if there are good complexes zoned to Kolter. Budget is probably a little low for a home rental.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,793 times
Default Southwest Houston?

Thanks for the responses so far! Our budget could be higher, up to $1400 if we could find apartments closer to work since we'll be saving money on the commute. Does anyone have any recommendations? I didn't see anything in Bellaire, but right outside, possibly Southwest Houston?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,490,502 times
There are some nice garden apartments should be less than your limit along Braeswood in MeyerLand or Maplewood, which has a lovely walking,jogging , biking path along Braes Bayou. Make sure you don't attempt the large block apartments further west near Fondren - pretty rough to say the least. If you're up to 15-1600 you should be able to rent a decent 3 bedroom house in Westbury which is very close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston