Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:01 PM

247 posts, read 737,718 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, the cost of inner loop real estate being what it is I am priced out of the neighborhoods I love best in Houston. I'm just curious what neighborhoods if any in Cinco Ranch or elsewhere in Katy would come closest to providing the same type of ambience as say West U, Bellaire or The Heights. I'm not really looking for the cool older houses so much as I am hoping for the other tangibles and intangibles that give a neighborhood a certain character, like cool restaurants and a beautiful park nearby full of families on nice days, good natured, friendly neighbors, the occasional Obama yard sign , some trees and nice landscaping and mommies pushing strollers in and around the neighborhood. My price range is 250,000 to 400,000. I have a toddler so I need a decent sized back yard (not huge just room enough for him to play), and houses that have some appealing architecture would be desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times
Default You can afford it...

Though 400K is at the bottom end of many of the nice neighborhoods you describe inside the loop, you can still find plenty of places. I work in the Greenway Plaza area and at least once a week, after eating lunch, a co-worker and I cruise through the neighborhoods to check out the houses for sale. We've become so good at it through the last three years, our game is usually to guess what the cost is, so we always stop and pull out the flyers when we see them. If no flyers, we note the address and go to the HAR web site after lunch to check on the properties. I saw a nice one just last week, it needed structural work, and they were asking 350K, but we figured almost 50-75K could be knocked off because of the repairs needed.

I've seen lots of homes in the Montrose area that would fit your price range. I have not see as many 'mommies pushing stollers' in Montrose as in West U, but the homes are just as historic, and nice. The price you see is the asking price, often you can negotiate down, unlike other parts of the country where it actually goes up.

Cruise the neighborhoods one weekend, you'll be surprised, lots of homes to choose from in your price range.

Regards.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:09 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
well, you'll get the bigger older trees in Windsor Park Estates (not lakes)

But you're not going to get the funk and charm. I don't think there's really any burb out there that has that to tell you the truth.

You may want to look at Nottingham Forest in SBISD. It's much closer in (Kirkwood and I-10) and still has a little urban flare in the area.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks "HTBU".
The main problem with the houses that I have found for 400,000 and under in these neighborhoods is that they all been well under 2000 square feet, in need of remodeling and usually have no yard to speak of. I owned a 1500 square foot Craftsman in the M-Streets in Dallas before I had a child and loved it but now that I have a little boy my needs have changed. I want him to have space in the house and in the yard so I am looking for a minimum of 2500 square feet and a house that is either updated and not in need of a major over haul (been there done that) or new with a decent backyard. West University and Bellaire are really family friendly and residential but Montrose seems to be geared more toward adults with no kids. I want my toddler to have plenty of kids to play with in our neighborhood. Have I missed some houses?

Easily Amused, sadly I have accepted that my funky days are over but I was still hoping for a little visual charm and some smart, friendly and open minded neighbors. I'd hoped these qualities could be found even in a newer neighborhood.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I checked out Nottingham Forest on HAR and really liked it. Do you know if there are any young kids in the neighborhood?

Last edited by Mommy/Artist/Lawyer; 11-03-2008 at 03:22 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy/Artist/Lawyer View Post
Thanks "HTBU".
The main problem with the houses that I have found for 400,000 and under in these neighborhoods is that they all been well under 2000 square feet, in need of remodeling and usually have no yard to speak of. I owned a 1500 square foot Craftsman in the M-Streets in Dallas before I had a child and loved it but now that I have a little boy my needs have changed. I want him to have space in the house and in the yard so I am looking for a minimum of 2500 square feet and a house that is either updated and not in need of a major over haul (been there done that) or new with a decent backyard. West University and Bellaire are really family friendly and residential but Montrose seems to be geared more toward adults with no kids. I want my toddler to have plenty of kids to play with in our neighborhood. Have I missed some houses?

Easily Amused, sadly I have accepted that my funky days are over but I was still hoping for a little visual charm and some smart, friendly and open minded neighbors. I'd hoped these qualities could be found even in a newer neighborhood.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I checked out Nottingham Forest on HAR and really liked it. Do you know if there are any young kids in the neighborhood?
The place is loaded with kids. It has a neighborhood club with courts, enourmous playground and a huge pool. It backs to miles of trails along Terry Hershey. I think you would like it.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:52 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,861,584 times
Will you be working in the West Houston area? If you work in the inner loop I would suggest Sugarland or Pearland. They are the nearest suburbs to Houston and they offer the same amenities as Cinco Ranch. Sugarland is maybe 15 to 20 minutes from Uptown and there you can find great places to eat and shop.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:14 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,454 times
I love Cinco Ranch but I don't think any part of it is at all comparable to West U., the Heights, etc. My neighborhood (Highland Park) is full of kids and mommies pushing strollers, but not short walking distance to any retail yet (some is planned). I think I would recommend the area near the Beach Club, or maybe the neighborhood off Westheimer, across from Rylander Elem. that backs up to Cinco Ranch Jr High and High School. From there you could easily walk to La Centerra and all the restaurants and retail around there. There aren't too many mature trees IN the yards in Cinco Ranch, although I think there are more along the common streets on the east side of 99, near the golf course.

Oh, and I have yet to see a SINGLE yard sign (either Mccain OR Obama) in Cinco Ranch. I know they are not forbidden by deed restrictions, but I think people don't want to mess up the aesthetic or something. That said, my neighborhood is EXTREMELY diverse ethnically.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:51 PM

SB Hubble: No yard signs is fine. Actually I was looking for political more than ethnic diversity but really I just didn't want to be swallowed up by a host of hostile conservatives (the kind that bite your head off for even mentioning the word progressive. Friendly open minded conservatives on the other hand are okey dokey.

As I am unfamiliar with Cinco could you tell me what is the neighborhood near the Beach Club and the neighborhood off Westheimer, across from Rylander Elem. that backs up to Cinco Ranch Jr High and High School are called?

WestHou: I am a stay at home mom and a single parent so being near work is not an issue. Mostly it is being near the things I enjoy ie. fun restaurants (something like Mission Burrito on Alabama, or Fish City Grill) , Gymboree and a wonderful park with a walking trail and play area for my son. I am currently living in First Colony and I have not found it to be particularly friendly. I think it is due in part to cultural and language differences.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:16 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the cost of inner loop real estate being what it is I am priced out of the neighborhoods I love best in Houston. I'm just curious what neighborhoods if any in Cinco Ranch or elsewhere in Katy would come closest to providing the same type of ambience as say West U, Bellaire or The Heights. I'm not really looking for the cool older houses so much as I am hoping for the other tangibles and intangibles that give a neighborhood a certain character, like cool restaurants and a beautiful park nearby full of families on nice days, good natured, friendly neighbors, the occasional Obama yard sign , some trees and nice landscaping and mommies pushing strollers in and around the neighborhood. My price range is 250,000 to 400,000. I have a toddler so I need a decent sized back yard (not huge just room enough for him to play), and houses that have some appealing architecture would be desirable.
Don't kid yourself. There aren't many places like West U/Bellaire or the Heights in America much less the Houston area. Accept the fact that you are moving to a different world and focus on the positives.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:15 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,454 times
Quote:
SB Hubble: No yard signs is fine. Actually I was looking for political more than ethnic diversity but really I just didn't want to be swallowed up by a host of hostile conservatives (the kind that bite your head off for even mentioning the word progressive. Friendly open minded conservatives on the other hand are okey dokey.

As I am unfamiliar with Cinco could you tell me what is the neighborhood near the Beach Club and the neighborhood off Westheimer, across from Rylander Elem. that backs up to Cinco Ranch Jr High and High School are called?

WestHou: I am a stay at home mom and a single parent so being near work is not an issue. Mostly it is being near the things I enjoy ie. fun restaurants (something like Mission Burrito on Alabama, or Fish City Grill) , Gymboree and a wonderful park with a walking trail and play area for my son. I am currently living in First Colony and I have not found it to be particularly friendly. I think it is due in part to cultural and language differences.
Hmm, I'd have to get out the map! But if you like Mission Burrito and Fish City Grill, they have BOTH of those at La Centerra. Not sure where the nearest Gymboree is but I'm sure there's one around, and there are other similar places (Little Gym, for example). People in my neighborhood don't really talk politics so I can't say how conservative or progressive they are, but seriously I would think the ethnic diversity would lead to political diversity. They certainly are friendly and open.

The area around the Beach Club is South Lake village. Not sure about the area off Westheimer. There are several subdivisions along Westheimer on the west side of 99, all of which would be walking distance to the major retail centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston