Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 23,020 times

Advertisements

My family is interested in buying a house in the Shepherd Park Plaza area north of 610 just east of Oak Forest (budget $450-550k). I stay at home, and my husband is starting a new job in which he has to commute half the week to the Woodlands and the other half to the med center, so this seems like a good geographical split without getting too far out of the loop. We currently rent a small bungalow in the Bellaire area.

We have a 3-year-old and are expecting another baby soon, so safety is always a concern. We've gotten some feedback from someone who purports to know the area that it is unsafe with lots of crime, is bordered by very undesirable neighborhoods, and there's very little likelihood of improvement in the future. It seems fine to me when I drive through, so I was hoping to get some feedback from others who live in the area about their experiences.

Thanks in advance for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,071 times
I'd be very interested in residents of this area too. My wife and I are also considering this area. Any feedback on if residents use Durham Elementary or go private would be appreciated as well.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM

71 posts, read 139,767 times
Two close friends live in Candlelight Plaza - they have two small children and seem to love it. Lots of younger families in their neighborhood, too. My impression is that their neighborhood is safe; yes, Acres Home is just north and areas east of Shepherd have "iffy" reputations, but check spotcrime or Houston PD crime maps for actual data!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Shepherd Park Plaza: Not a resident, but also contemplated/am contemplating living in this area. Driven through it several times and noticed a few young parents out walking with babies in strollers, as well as some older people. Seems to have a mix of mostly older population with some young families, that is on the verge of turning over. Several homes we looked at sold quickly. Based on its website, there appears to be a tight neighborhood safety awareness and patrol group, as well as other social/support groups. Shepherd Park Plaza | Houston, TX
The neighborhood does not feel anymore unsafe to me than Oak Forest/Garden Oaks, and a quick check on the spotcrime map for the last 3 months showed lower reported crime here than elsewhere in Houston.

I talked extensively with the administrators of Durnham Elementary about their various educational programs and faciities, and visited the grounds (but have yet to tour the school). We would certainly consider enrolling our kids there should we move to the area. They also appear to have a well organized PTA https://www.facebook.com/DurhamElementarySchoolPTA

Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
I lived there from 1982-1987, so I can't really help you with current news. But at the time, it was a jewel. I was surprised how nice it was, almost an oasis compared with some of the areas around it. And how little the rest of Houston knew about it.

Sounds like it has retained its charm.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I lived there from 1982-1987, so I can't really help you with current news. But at the time, it was a jewel. I was surprised how nice it was, almost an oasis compared with some of the areas around it. And how little the rest of Houston knew about it.

Sounds like it has retained its charm.
Yes, we liked the neighborhood community feel we gathered from both our visits and from the social events pics on their website. We esp. liked the active mixing of older and younger folks, as we've always preferred living in a mixed-aged community where we and our kids would have exposure to the wisdom and life experiences of the older folks.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 7,135 times
Not an SPP resident, but I do live in Shepherd Park Terrace, just across Pinemont from SPP. My husband and I have lived there with our family for 16 years. We have never had a crime incident. (Thank God, because really crime can happen anywhere, right?) There are only 2 things that would make me rethink living there 1. Most of the residents are retirees (Which is really great because it's quiet and they care deeply about the neighborhood and the upkeep of it.) but on the other hand, there are no neighborhood kids for my children to associate with. 2. The schools SPT are zoned to are terrible, which means you have to hustle to get your kids into other schools. As an SPP resident you wouldn't have to worry as much about it as they are zoned to different schools. I have observed the Oak Forest, Garden Oaks and SPP areas which really seem to have a good mix of people and different types of families. I really do love the area.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,091 times
Default Shepherd Park Plaza

My parents were one of the first to have a home built in Shepherd Park Plaza in 1962 by James Goettee, builder and they have lived there since. The neighborhood is as good now as it was when I grew up there. Strong Civic Club, Constable patrolled, and you should see the neighborhood at Christmas, during Memorial and 4th of July holiday flags are displayed through the neighborhood. No mandatory fees but highly suggest you pay your Civic Club dues ($25) and support Constable patrol. For the younger neighbors there is a Mom's club, a garden club, and senior Men's club, etc. What is also great is location, location, location...so close to the Galleria, downtown, etc.
I do know the houses sale quickly and one just popped up on Curtin Street.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM

3 posts, read 8,406 times
Smile Candlelight Plaza Resident. LOVE IT!

This is a way late response, but I wanted to post in case anyone else comes across this forum in a search. It's quite possible the the OP now lives here and knows me

I have lived in Candlelight Plaza for 3 years. I have two small children and one of them attends Durham Elementary.

We love this neighborhood, as others have said there is a great mix of original homeowners, young families, and everything in between. We've got every age group represented on our quiet cul-de-sac street, including seven kids. While there are break-ins and other issues just like any other neighborhood in the city, I feel very safe here. Shepherd Park has a contract with the Constable program and Candlelight Plaza is in the process of joining as well.

Within the combined SPP/CP area there is a very large and active moms group (Plaza Moms Society). A group of the younger guys have started a monthly beer club due to the Men's club being geared towards retirees and weekday meetings. We have a great neighborhood park and there are always people out walking about.

I am happy to respond to messages with questions!

Last edited by megnar; 03-07-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,090 times
I lived in Shepherd Park Plaza until March 2013. We loved the subdivision - we lived there for 13 years and the only crime incident we had was that someone stole our halloween decoration. The neighborhood patrol and the constable do a great job, so we always felt safe. I think the subdivision is a jewel within the city limits. I always had my kids attend magnet schools, so i can't comment on Durham, but i hear it has done really well lately. I think you will love the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston