Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 PM

860 posts, read 1,598,233 times

Advertisements

You might want to check with the Houston Public Library downtown to see if they offer special children's programs (suburban branches have them; not sure about the Central Library).

From time to time, the Theater District has matinee performances for kids and their families -- plays, musicals, dance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 05:09 PM

684 posts, read 847,867 times
Eating a slumdog pizza at Bombay pizza....al fresco with my hard cider!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 PM

28 posts, read 54,325 times
Thank you. All of you wonderful Houston CDers with these terrific suggestions
I've had a very rough year trying to move. Between selling my current house, my husband's extreme commute (we live in NJ, he works in Austin, TX during the week), and the constant changing of details of where and when we were going to move to. Well, it's been...stressful.

Having things to get excited about is really helpful. And it sounds like there's so much to do. We're excited!

Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 AM

847 posts, read 1,761,011 times
Wait....what? He works in Austin, but youre moving to Houston? I understand houston is closer to austin than new jersey, but that will still be a extreme commute.... im gonna go out on a limb and ask, why not just move to austin?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 AM

28 posts, read 54,325 times
Hi bluelion_ms3,

Sorry to have confused...
This is his last week at the Austin job.
Over the course of this past year we'd been trying to work it out with that company to move there with him, but alas it was not in the cards.

He starts a new job with a new company in Houston.
The job is downtown, and so we got a rental downtown too.
Not only will we be in the same city as each other, but within 10 blocks.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,204,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
The tunnels are not that special. They do suck the life from the streets.

Dallas is trying to close theirs so they can reverse that problem.
Why would anybody want to walk on the street when its 100 degress outside?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,204,080 times
Discovery Green and wandering the tunnels during lunch, there is still a section of it, I have never been to.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,836,748 times
I finally got to explore the tunnels a month ago. It's interesting the comments about sucking the life from the streets. I don't see any life on the streets as far as businesses are concerned. And if workers can walk in AC then why would anyone want to choose to walk the filthy dirty streets of Houston while watching tow trucks steal peoples cars.

For the record, the tunnels are a great thing to explore. But once you done it then you seen it all. I did it once and did it during lunch hour. That was a mistake. It was like New York City where people push you out of the way if you walk to slow. Even waking fast I felt the pressure from behind to walk faster.

Explore this treasure OFF peak time.

No one mentioned the Museums yet. When we escaped the tunnels that's what we ended up doing and they were nice. Just not cheap.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,165,588 times
It's true about the tunnels sucking life off the streets. Put those flower shops, jewelry stores, convenient stores, and restaurants at street level and you have a totally different downtown.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,844,820 times
Tunnels are definitely not a treasure. If you don't like the heat of the summer then you may opt for the tunnels but they aren't very interesting to "explore". You would probably have more fun exploring a Walmart. At least they have windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: