Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 PM

561 posts, read 975,020 times

Advertisements

[quote=cjedstrom;29031681]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
- Children's museum
- Zoo
- Eat at Rudy's BBQ
- Go to the beach in Galveston
- Walk around in The Woodlands waterway

I dont have kids, it will be me and a friend traveling, so wont be going to the Childrens museum or the zoo probably, we also have those things here. What outdoor things SCREAM fun times?
And when you say the beach in Galveston which beach are you referring to?
I cant wait to try TX BBQ! How is it different from KC BBQ?
I dont know if Houston has that "SCREAM FUN TIMES" type area or venue. Especially for young people without families.

Houston is much more laid back and have a drink at a patio bar or outdoor restaurant while enjoying the weather (Which even that wont last past May).

But Houston is so diverse that whatever you're into you could find it here. But, again, we aren't known for any one thing, except for the diversity of things.

Houston is a jack of all trades, master of none type city.

Best Texas BBQ is in the hill country, but places in Houston try to replicate it, and they do a OK job of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,709,122 times
[quote=OducksFTW!;29033174]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedstrom View Post

I dont know if Houston has that "SCREAM FUN TIMES" type area or venue. Especially for young people without families.

Houston is much more laid back and have a drink at a patio bar or outdoor restaurant while enjoying the weather (Which even that wont last past May).

But Houston is so diverse that whatever you're into you could find it here. But, again, we aren't known for any one thing, except for the diversity of things.

Houston is a jack of all trades, master of none type city.

Best Texas BBQ is in the hill country, but places in Houston try to replicate it, and they do a OK job of it.
I completely disagree. We have amazing food of just about every type. I have been to the hill country BBQ places. They are good, but not really any better than BBQ I have had at a few places in Houston. Gatlin in the Heights is my favorite. I still say a great pizza place is the one we are lacking. There are few cities in the country that can match Houston in food.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 AM

[quote=Schumacher713;29034298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

I completely disagree. We have amazing food of just about every type. I have been to the hill country BBQ places. They are good, but not really any better than BBQ I have had at a few places in Houston. Gatlin in the Heights is my favorite. I still say a great pizza place is the one we are lacking. There are few cities in the country that can match Houston in food.
Houston has long been the fattest city in America. And has the most restaurants per capita, as far as food is concerned Houston has plenty.

But what is interesting is that whenever we see a top restaurants around the country list, there are several from Chicago, a ton from NYC and many in So Cali heck there are a few from New Orleans and San Francisco sprinkled in there as well.

But Houston has only one or two (Underbelly and Uchi), which are fairly recent.

Is Houston big on quantity of restaurants, but low on quality of them?

Or should we just blame it on the "biased east coast/ west coast media"?

PS: Kreuz Market in Lockhart & Franklins in Austin, nothing in Houston compares.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,709,122 times
I just think Houston is growing up food wise. I really don't care about really high end food like Oxheart, etc... We have more than two btw. Just because a restaurant does not make a Jame Beard award or not make a Michelin star does not mean it is not good. Houston will never be New York, San Francisco, or Los Angeles. I do think we will more comparable to Chicago. Houston has changed a ton in the past decade. We have young professionals flowing into the city. It is changing for the better.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 AM

112 posts, read 208,640 times
I am pretty plain when it comes to food. I dont want anything weird or too fancy. I love shrimp, steak, lobster, and that is about as fancy as I get. No lamb or duck or anything like that for this girl. so I am sure there will be plenty of amazing restaurants!
PS I want to eat my food and not look at how cool it looks on a plate, so most of those fancy restaurants that are all about presentation, serve no purpose to me.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedstrom View Post
I am pretty plain when it comes to food. I dont want anything weird or too fancy. I love shrimp, steak, lobster, and that is about as fancy as I get. No lamb or duck or anything like that for this girl. so I am sure there will be plenty of amazing restaurants!
PS I want to eat my food and not look at how cool it looks on a plate, so most of those fancy restaurants that are all about presentation, serve no purpose to me.
Houston is perfect for you. But I hope you find it in yourself to get out of your comfort zone and try new things. Houston actually has things that are from different cultures and cuisines you could try. Just some unsolicited advice

It would be nice to have a dinner once in a while at a restaurant that is literally considered the best in the country.

And yes presentation is a major factor in many of the restaurant rankings. But there are many highly-ranked restaurants that are southern casual eats, so it isn't exactly like these rankings are full of snobby fancy suits and dress type places.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,872,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Houston has long been the fattest city in America.
No, it hasn't. Unless you're talking about those old Men's Fitness Magazine lists, which are rather bogus (they don't actually measure anyone -- just base it on number of gyms, commute times and other factors that allow one to make a guess.) CDC data would be more reliable.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 PM

392 posts, read 1,001,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
1. Black Hole
2. Moon Tower Inn
3. Super Happy Fun Land
4. White Oak
5. Montrose
What is Super Happy Fun Land? I live close to it and drive by it every now and then.

Edit: Nvm just goggled it

Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM

875 posts, read 1,665,851 times
Galveston/Kemah/Seabrook
Uptown
DT Nightlife (Venue, H of B, Warehouse Live etc.)
Museum District
Central Texas BBQ (Airport)

I have a lot more but these are my Top 5.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,601,376 times
Montrose
Uptown
Vietnamese Chinatown
The Fiesta on Bellaire and Hillcroft, my home away from home
Magnolia Park (old school Mexican neighborhood)

And if not for Dallas, Houston would be master of all things sex trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston