Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,073,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Texas is a right to work state which means someone can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. Workers in Texas have no rights. It is a shame, but true.
Sure, but a worker with a demonstrated good record won't be fired for no reason -- why would an employer want to lose a good worker just to have to turn around to spend more time and money to replace them with someone who may not be as good? It's stupid and makes no sense. If someone's let go, there was probably a reason that just wasn't communicated -- budget cuts, reorganization, sub-par performance, etc.

I've worked in both the public and private sectors. If someone is let go over their looks (assuming it's less serious than a bunch of face tattoos or something else highly distracting/inappropriate for the job), I wouldn't want to have that idiot as a boss anyway. It's a red flag there are other issues with that boss/employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 AM

184 posts, read 315,353 times
Quote:
Texas is a right to work state which means someone can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. Workers in Texas have no rights. It is a shame, but true.
That's patently false. Worker's in Texas and all other right to work states have any and all legal recourse that is available to the rest of the union. Right to work states simply don't allow poor performing employees to stay on. And that's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Sure, but a worker with a demonstrated good record won't be fired for no reason -- why would an employer want to lose a good worker just to have to turn around to spend more time and money to replace them with someone who may not be as good? It's stupid and makes no sense. If someone's let go, there was probably a reason that just wasn't communicated -- budget cuts, reorganization, sub-par performance, etc.

I've worked in both the public and private sectors. If someone is let go over their looks (assuming it's less serious than a bunch of face tattoos or something else highly distracting/inappropriate for the job), I wouldn't want to have that idiot as a boss anyway. It's a red flag there are other issues with that boss/employer.
This.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,379,625 times
The point is, if a boss doesn't like you for the way you look( or any other reason). He/she may not come out and say the reason, but you have no legal recourse.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,472,012 times
Quote:
The point is, if a boss doesn't like you for the way you look( or any other reason). He/she may not come out and say the reason, but you have no legal recourse.
You just don't get it do you. Look around most work places...you will find plenty of unattractive people working there. I have never come across anyone getting fired due to not being attractive enough...maybe topless dancers who become fat.

In right to work states there are steps that are usually followed such as a performance improvement plans, being written up a few times etc. I also have never met anyone in the professional environment in TX who was just flat out fired for no reason.

If you are a good competent employee you pretty much have nothing to worry about in right to work states.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
You just don't get it do you. Look around most work places...you will find plenty of unattractive people working there. I have never come across anyone getting fired due to not being attractive enough...maybe topless dancers who become fat.

In right to work states there are steps that are usually followed such as a performance improvement plans, being written up a few times etc. I also have never met anyone in the professional environment in TX who was just flat out fired for no reason.

If you are a good competent employee you pretty much have nothing to worry about in right to work states.
Uh, actually I do get it. Managers are human and if they don't like someone for whatever reason...employee competent or not they can get rid of you. I have first hand experience with this.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:49 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Uh, actually I do get it. Managers are human and if they don't like someone for whatever reason...employee competent or not they can get rid of you. I have first hand experience with this.
I think I can understand why

Maybe do a bit of inner self reflection to find out if you had anything to do with being fired.

And if you're a good nurse...I am sure you would have no problem finding another job in Houston.

Besides why would you want to work for a boss who did not like you?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,598,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_tx View Post
In other words, horse apples. Anyone fired because of looks has legal recourse. Anyone fired due to poor performance does not.
But here's the thing, Nick and I've seen this happen before when I was an Assistant Principal.

Julie Jones was hired by a female principal. The female principal was transferred and replaced by a male who happens to think Julie is a bit chubby.

The new principal immediately begins to write up Julie for anything. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. Also, it doesn't matter if Julie gets her entire class to pass testing. She's done.

Unions do a great job of preventing these situations. You are absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think this happens all the time in Texas.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post

Unions do a great job of preventing these situations. You are absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think this happens all the time in Texas.
That would be great if that is ALL they did when it came to protecting employees. But no they have to protect the worthless incompetent ones as well....I would bet they spend more time doing this.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I think I can understand why

Maybe do a bit of inner self reflection to find out if you had anything to do with being fired.

And if you're a good nurse...I am sure you would have no problem finding another job in Houston.

Besides why would you want to work for a boss who did not like you?
Oh, because I don't agree with you? Why am I not surprised? FYI, it was my profession before I became a nurse.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Oh, because I don't agree with you? Why am I not surprised? FYI, it was my profession before I became a nurse.
OK so how was I supposed to know that

I don't care if you agree with me or not. To each his own

I can certainly see why your boss might not have held you in a good light at work.

But again do you think you had anything to contribute to you being fired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston