Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 PM

7 posts, read 12,120 times

Advertisements

Topaz,
Thanks a lot. From my online searches, I also had my heart on Methodist Hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 AM

TVC15,
Thanks for your input. Because we are expected to be part of the union here, I totally assumed that it was the same in Texas. You seem to have had bad experiences with unions and the medical professionals you were working with. Sorry to hear that. But it is not always negative. What is your profession in the medical field?
There was a good reason why unions were created. Although I don't agree with being forced to join any union, I also don's see the problem why people should not be allowed to choose if they want to unionize or not. I had no idea that it was such a big deal to be part of a union.
Although I am part of a union here, I have never needed their protection or " ran to them". I'm highly skilled in what I do and I do my job with joy because it is a calling to me. Moving is a big change for me and I like to consider every detail of my move and that includes my profession as well.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 AM

6 posts, read 21,224 times
to the OP:
I'm answering as a PCA with an eye towards RN. I worked in SL for 2 years as a PCA and my mom has lived in SL for about 25 years. She, however, has worked in the Houston Med Center.

Someone stated that SL is a suburb of Houston, and for all intents and purposes, that's true. Yes, SL is incorporated, but it's the typical master planned community and safe neighborhoods and good schools that you'd expect. It's a GOOD suburb.

You can still get good houses in SL for 150-200K. The houston area in general is depressingly featureless. Trails, mountains, rivers, whatever you like, you better bring it with you. However, it's occurred to me that we are just getting off of nearly 6 months of very pleasant weather. It's starting to warm up, of course, and the 100% humidity is something you either accept and pay your A/C bill or allow to make you miserable.

SL diversity: very diverse and friendly, although, being a suburb and everyone driving, there's not a lot of every day interaction, unless with your neighbors. My mom has at least 6 nationalities on her block, and they're pretty friendly. Do you love Indian food?? I hope so.

If you work in SL, you will work with a lot of Indians, Asians, and Africans. Don't know about RN specific Q's. Except most of em are great, and some not.

In the last 5 years the restaurants and entertainment has gotten much better. That is to say, there used to me next to nothing, and now it's actually a lot of fun. Flying Saucer Beer emporium anchors (says me) the First Colony strip, which is one of these manufactured 'small town city center activity destinations' that are getting retrofitted to all the suburbs. Well, guess what, they're a lot better than nothing.

I live in Houston, and I love the city, but I don't have to worry about a family, yet. However, it would be a shame to miss out on what it has to offer. If you move, stay up to speed with swamplot.com (excellent Houston real estate and general news and activity blog), & houstonpress.com (more about life, events, politics, culture).

Also, don't rule out working in the Houston Med Center. It's a straight shot up Alt-90. If your shift starts at 7a, you wouldn't have traffic coming or going, and your commute would be in the realm of 30 min (obviously, depends on the location of your home).

Of course, I'm sure you know of the major Hospitals in SL itself. However, for the sake of getting that first job or future opportunity, it's good to know that the SL branches are tied to the HMC.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 AM

Superlegit,
Thank you very much for the info. Coming from Cali, I am used to seeing different cultures and I truly love that. I chose SL because real estate seemed cheaper than the heart of Houston. Yes in Cali I live near beautiful trees, mountains, the ocean and all that stuff but it is very expensive and not worth the price of the homes out here. I really find it hard to shell out money for a house that has a very inflated price.
I will def. keep HMC in mind. It seems like a great hospital. Thanks again.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 AM

thanks for the input.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,137,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2tex View Post
TVC15,
Thanks for your input. Because we are expected to be part of the union here, I totally assumed that it was the same in Texas. You seem to have had bad experiences with unions and the medical professionals you were working with. Sorry to hear that. But it is not always negative. What is your profession in the medical field?
There was a good reason why unions were created. Although I don't agree with being forced to join any union, I also don's see the problem why people should not be allowed to choose if they want to unionize or not. I had no idea that it was such a big deal to be part of a union.
Although I am part of a union here, I have never needed their protection or " ran to them". I'm highly skilled in what I do and I do my job with joy because it is a calling to me. Moving is a big change for me and I like to consider every detail of my move and that includes my profession as well.
As a nurse myself...the bolded is a very important statement and you should have no issues working here! It's nurses who work for money who aren't the ones I would have at my bedside. The medical center has all types of specialties and places to work for. Methodist is a fantastic institution, as is Hermann, Texas Children's, St. Luke's, etc. They are all within walking distance of each other.

Sugar Land is definitely growing. Even if you live there, you can commute to the med center....many many people do it. Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Read it again.

[color=black][font=Verdana]

I could care less if you are for or against Unions. I can have whatever beliefs I want about them as can you.

The issue that I am talking about is having my rights taken away from me and either being forced to join a Union or not work in my profession upon moving to a Forced Union state. That is the true crime...Forced Unionism. I hope to see the day when this is abolished. No person in the US should have Forced Unionism imposed upon them as a condition of employment.
My apologies TVC for my lack of reading comprehension there.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2tex View Post
Superlegit,
Thank you very much for the info. Coming from Cali, I am used to seeing different cultures and I truly love that. I chose SL because real estate seemed cheaper than the heart of Houston. Yes in Cali I live near beautiful trees, mountains, the ocean and all that stuff but it is very expensive and not worth the price of the homes out here. I really find it hard to shell out money for a house that has a very inflated price.
I will def. keep HMC in mind. It seems like a great hospital. Thanks again.

Did you notice what I said about the property tax? On one of those $300k Sugar Land houses you'll be paying $9000 in property tax, possibly more! Sugar Land TX Fort Bend County Tax Information

You should be honest with yourself about whether "owning" a house (it's in quotes because the government is charging you $9000/yr to live there) in a place like Sugar Land will actually make you happy. Some people don't care about outdoors activities, or public transit, or dating (Sugar Land is going to be mostly families), or anything like that... Are you one of them?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
There is a very good reason you're required to join unions in some states... Because you benefit from their negotiating on your behalf.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM

184 posts, read 314,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Did you notice what I said about the property tax? On one of those $300k Sugar Land houses you'll be paying $9000 in property tax, possibly more! Sugar Land TX Fort Bend County Tax Information

You should be honest with yourself about whether "owning" a house (it's in quotes because the government is charging you $9000/yr to live there) in a place like Sugar Land will actually make you happy. Some people don't care about outdoors activities, or public transit, or dating (Sugar Land is going to be mostly families), or anything like that... Are you one of them?
How much would you pay per year on a similar home in CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston