Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 PM

28 posts, read 97,254 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I'm a young single professional in mid 20s working as a engineer. I'm trying to get a new car to replace my 99 made corolla. I'm not a car person and would prefer to walk or bike whenever possible. Also I'm lacking of car knowledge shame on me..... looking at all the specs made me feel lost... too many choices...
Personally, I don't like Japanese cars. My old corolla had a collision with a BMW before, nothing happened to the BMW but my car was wasted. I want to get something solid, not some soft piece of cheap metal.
I've heard good things about Fusion on KBB and Edmund and actually test drove one, i think it's kind of too small and don't have enough power.
I'll try VW Tiguan, Chevy Equonox and Tauraus tomorrow. Meanwhile, I would love to collect car selection advice and recommendations from all you guys here. I prefer more practical cars.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,156,381 times
Go to autotrader.com com and look for prices on the going rate. Find 2 -3 cars you are interested in. You can probably call them and get a better deal than advertised on the phone.

Go to the dealer, test drive, and negotiate a price for the car and trade in value. They will make you an offer. DO NOT take the first offer and politley say you are going to look at the other car you are intested in (tell them it's a bit cheaper or the other car has some options you would rather have). They will try to keep you there and do the usual "what can we do to make you drive home in this car today pitch". Do not fall for it.

Go to the next dealer and say "I have this car at this price, can you beat it". If not, leave.

Remeber, you don't HAVE to have a new car. The car you have now is servicable...you can shop around but the car dealers won't make it seem that way.

Take the first deal only if you love the car and think you think it's a steal and can't do any better. Just don't act like a no it all ass and be polite.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:15 AM

343 posts, read 804,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1988 View Post
Personally, I don't like Japanese cars. My old corolla had a collision with a BMW before, nothing happened to the BMW but my car was wasted.
I'll try VW Tiguan, Chevy Equonox and Tauraus tomorrow. Meanwhile, I would love to collect car selection advice and recommendations from all you guys here. I prefer more practical cars.

Thanks in advance.
The only reason I love BMW are their toughness, but other than that I stay away because once warranty expires, the cost of repairs are a few 1000s.

Of the choices, I'd take a Taurus over SUV. If you want a practical car, stay away from those onboard computers like Navi, or touch dash that runs your car. Once these break down, it will not be cheap, or figuring out what is wrong with your computer is not going to be easy.

Now the good part, walk away if the deal ain't right. The dealers will make money from 3 places when buying new car:

1. Your trade-in
2. Value of the new car
3. Financing

Dealers don't make much selling new cars than selling used cars. They will make money from you when you service your car. Heard of those 15,000 mile, 30,000 mile maintenance packages?!?!?!? Those are moneymakers for the dealership. Don't let dealers start adding options to your car, like pinstripes, tint, or carpets, some of these are included, or can be thrown in by buying the car. Don't buy extended warranty unless you are driving the car heavily, or buying a car that isn't reliable.

PS. 9 year old car still smells and drives like new with 0 stops at dealership for servicing

Old 03-08-2013, 05:54 AM

210 posts, read 428,569 times
Another good resource to use is Trucar.com
Saved me some money when I bought my truck. Remember you don't have to buy something the day you are on the lot. Dealers want your money and will do or say whatever it takes. If you don't feel comfortable going buy yourself it can help to take a buddy with you. Never hurts to have another set of eyes and ears when you are going over financing or the final paper work before you sign. I don't know if you are a big Ford Fan but sometimes, not always, if you email the customer service on the website and tell them you are fixing to make a purchase they will email you a private cash coupon to use. I was givin $750.00 private cash coupon to use on my truck.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,147,195 times
Edmunds.com is a great way to research for cars. You can look at a certain makes (BMW, Toyota, etc), kinds (sedans, SUVs, etc), or within a certain budget. They have professional reviews, consumer reviews, reviews on older models, etc. you can see the true cost to own, and what other people are getting cars for in your area. You can compare different cars. You can take a quiz that will help you narrow down the right car for you.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,147,195 times
And whenever you find he car you want, I would suggest coming home and getting online and getting the Internet price. The last 2 cars we have done this and gotten great deals.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,430,184 times
I favor japanese built cars, and would chose an up market version that is used to a new lesser model by the same company. German cars are less likely to see damage in a collison due to a build philosophy that focused on less car damage. An Infiniti on the other hand will sustain more damage in the same crash as a BMW but remember if the car absorbs the crash momentum, your body has a softer landing inside the car. That is Infiniti's design philosophy.

Honda is a great vehicle though as well if you are interested in new and reliable.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,156,381 times
The internet price is usually a solid deal. Like someone else said, they trey to get you on the trade in, financing, and warranty options.

Don't fall for the "what do you want your payments to be" pitch. Find the price you want and stick with that. Do the numbers and find out what your payments will be.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Thanks for your advice~ I'm planning to test drive few to find one I like, get a Costco price and starts negotiation start there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
Go to autotrader.com com and look for prices on the going rate. Find 2 -3 cars you are interested in. You can probably call them and get a better deal than advertised on the phone.

Go to the dealer, test drive, and negotiate a price for the car and trade in value. They will make you an offer. DO NOT take the first offer and politley say you are going to look at the other car you are intested in (tell them it's a bit cheaper or the other car has some options you would rather have). They will try to keep you there and do the usual "what can we do to make you drive home in this car today pitch". Do not fall for it.

Go to the next dealer and say "I have this car at this price, can you beat it". If not, leave.

Remeber, you don't HAVE to have a new car. The car you have now is servicable...you can shop around but the car dealers won't make it seem that way.

Take the first deal only if you love the car and think you think it's a steal and can't do any better. Just don't act like a no it all ass and be polite.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Do you drive a BMW? 9 years without dealership service? Good job on maintenance! I thought about getting a used BMW or Benz but the maintenance cost scared me away..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
The only reason I love BMW are their toughness, but other than that I stay away because once warranty expires, the cost of repairs are a few 1000s.

Of the choices, I'd take a Taurus over SUV. If you want a practical car, stay away from those onboard computers like Navi, or touch dash that runs your car. Once these break down, it will not be cheap, or figuring out what is wrong with your computer is not going to be easy.

Now the good part, walk away if the deal ain't right. The dealers will make money from 3 places when buying new car:

1. Your trade-in
2. Value of the new car
3. Financing

Dealers don't make much selling new cars than selling used cars. They will make money from you when you service your car. Heard of those 15,000 mile, 30,000 mile maintenance packages?!?!?!? Those are moneymakers for the dealership. Don't let dealers start adding options to your car, like pinstripes, tint, or carpets, some of these are included, or can be thrown in by buying the car. Don't buy extended warranty unless you are driving the car heavily, or buying a car that isn't reliable.

PS. 9 year old car still smells and drives like new with 0 stops at dealership for servicing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston