Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 AM

48 posts, read 82,984 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like we may be moving to the area this summer. We've been looking at many different areas . . I previously posted about Katy versus Cypress, but when my husband visited he found that Cypress was too far. He will be working at Texas Children's Hospital, West campus.

We really like the Katy area, but have found that Richmond looks nice as well, and can likely get more for our money there. Doing lots of research, but before looking too much into Richmond wanted to see what you all think about the commute? Is it realistic that he could live in Richmond and commute to Texas Children's? It would appear to not be too far, but with the way you all talk about the traffic, thought I'd better ask here.

Also, are the schools in Richmond good? Schools are very important, part of the reason we are moving from where we are now . . . we are not impressed with the schools in our area so really want good public schools for our 3 children.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,155,778 times
I'm thinking its 30 mins at least but why bother having a commute at all? For my $250k it would be no contest, I'd be looking in Nottingham Country zoned to Hazel Pattison Elementary. This also puts you into McMeans JH and Tayler HS. Exemplary schools and and your house WILL appreciate.

IMO Richond is just too far from anything and again...WHY COMMUTE??

Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 AM

346 posts, read 809,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housejohnson View Post
Also, are the schools in Richmond good? Schools are very important, part of the reason we are moving from where we are now . . . we are not impressed with the schools in our area so really want good public schools for our 3 children.
Katy schools over Richmond schools by a landslide. Don't look past Katy, or Cinco Ranch, they are the best school choices available with your options. Take a loss in paying your house and take a gain in the value of education for your children.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,893,075 times
Quote:
Well, it looks like we may be moving to the area this summer. We've been looking at many different areas . . I previously posted about Katy versus Cypress, but when my husband visited he found that Cypress was too far. He will be working at Texas Children's Hospital, West campus.

We really like the Katy area, but have found that Richmond looks nice as well, and can likely get more for our money there. Doing lots of research, but before looking too much into Richmond wanted to see what you all think about the commute? Is it realistic that he could live in Richmond and commute to Texas Children's? It would appear to not be too far, but with the way you all talk about the traffic, thought I'd better ask here.

Thank you!
Depends on where in Richmond; it's a very large area with Richmond postal addresses (the actual city limits of Richmond are tiny and not very good.) Most of zip 77406 is very good, and the southern half of 77407 is very good as well. Anything else in Richmond is going to be too far south for your commute and the other zips in Richmond aren't generally as nice as these two in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
Katy schools over Richmond schools by a landslide.
Take a loss in paying your house and take a gain in the value of education for your children.
Exaggeration. Again, it depends on the area and specific schools we're talking about, but they're not that dramatically different.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,930,441 times
Quote:
Katy schools over Richmond schools by a landslide. Don't look past Katy, or Cinco Ranch, they are the best school choices available with your options. Take a loss in paying your house and take a gain in the value of education for your children.
This. Don't be so quick to write off the schools on the north side of LCISD - Foster HS (along with the future Fulshear HS) which serves the north Richmond area, provides a quality education in a slightly smaller setting (enrollment right around 2000 students versus 3000+ in any 5A Katy Highschool). This is not a knock against Katy schools, but I wouldn't call the quality of teachers or the education a "landslide" over a school like Foster. Plus, you will get more house for your $ if you buy in LCISD than you would in Katy. Depending upon your price range, you could look at Lakes of Bella Terra at 99 & 1093 (aka Grand Parkway and West Park Tollway), Cross Creek Ranch (farther down FM 1093 in Fulshear; neighborhood is split between LCISD and Katy ISD), Fulbrook, Fulshear Creek Crossing, or Weston Lakes, which is the farthest west down FM 1093 and a 35 minute commute to Texas Children's West. Conversely, Lakes of Bella Terra would take roughly 25 minutes, and the neighborhoods mentioned in between there and Weston Lakes would take about 30 minutes.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 AM

48 posts, read 82,984 times
Quote:

This if, of course, what we immediately thought when we started researching the area. We really love the idea of Cinco Ranch & are of course impressed by everything we've read about the school system. But, our concern . . . is it TOO big? Is the subdivision TOO big to feel like you belong to a community? Are the schools TOO big for our kids to have a chance to excel?

Also, debating the old/new house & subdivision options. My husband really likes the more established communities, with big trees, older/bigger houses, while I like the idea of newer homes & the best amenities, opportunities to get involved in the community, activities, etc. He is more drawn to Richmond because of the trees, bigger lots . . . while I don't mind being smaller lots & lack of trees as long as I love the community.

So much to consider! Thank you all for your input, it's really helpful!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,930,441 times
Quote:
This if, of course, what we immediately thought when we started researching the area. We really love the idea of Cinco Ranch & are of course impressed by everything we've read about the school system. But, our concern . . . is it TOO big? Is the subdivision TOO big to feel like you belong to a community? Are the schools TOO big for our kids to have a chance to excel?

Also, debating the old/new house & subdivision options. My husband really likes the more established communities, with big trees, older/bigger houses, while I like the idea of newer homes & the best amenities, opportunities to get involved in the community, activities, etc. He is more drawn to Richmond because of the trees, bigger lots . . . while I don't mind being smaller lots & lack of trees as long as I love the community.

So much to consider! Thank you all for your input, it's really helpful!!!
"Too big" is a purely a matter of opinion, but I would say Cinco Ranch would have a less community feel than in a smaller neighborhood like the ones I mentioned aboved, simply by the sheer size of it. Can you say you feel a sense of community in an MPC with 18,000 residents and climbing? Perhaps, depending upon your interpretation of "communuty". I grew up in an MPC called Greatwood, southwest of Sugar Land off of 59. There was definitely the feel of a tightly-knit community centered around the activities of the 2 elementary schools and the 2 swim teams in the neighborhood, as well as other community functions. The population of Greatwood was around 6000 in the year 2000 (when I felt the sense of community was highest), and is estimated to be around 10,000 now (where I feel the community feeling is slightly less than before but still present). But I digress.

Established community, with trees, older and bigger house but also the option to build newer homes, and community involvement? I would absolutely 100% have to say Weston Lakes. It's a gated community with huge trees, half acre to multi-acre lots, homes ranging in age from the mid-1980s to new builds, home prices from $250k to multi-millions. The neighborhood incorporated into its own city in 2008 (how's that for a sense of community?) and is now a city with a population of about 2400 and climbing Neighborhood swim team, golf course, etc etc. Neighborhood is zoned to Foster HS (mentioned in post above) that keeps its enrollment numbers under 2000. Again, 35 minute commute to Texas Children's West.

And no, I don't live there or benefit from you considering looking there. It's just the honest truth.

Last edited by NTexas2010; 03-06-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston