Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 AM

11 posts, read 49,361 times

Advertisements

I have not found any comments comparing the climates of the various suburbs on this forum. I realize the differences will be very small, but I'm interested in understanding what those small differences may be. Specifically, are the southern suburbs of Houston (Clear Lake / Friendswood) more humid than the northern suburbs (The Woodlands / Kingwood)? How about going West towards Katy? Does it get less humid? I 'm considering moving to the Houston area, and any slight difference in humidity would help guide my house-hunting efforts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,317 times
I've never noticed any differences in humidity. There are small differences in temperatures from North Houston to Clear Lake to Galveston, but that's all I am aware of. To me there isn't any perceptible humidity difference until you get to Dallas (still hot in summer) or San Antonio (still hot in summer).

Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM

74 posts, read 124,616 times
I don't think you're going to find a substantial humidity difference anywhere in the Houston area. If you live in Galveston, you get the benefit of the sea breeze, which makes it feel cooler, but it's still humid.

But otherwise... it's kind of like asking which Phoenix suburb has the lowest temperatures in July or which Minneapolis suburb has the least snowfall. There might be small differences, but not enough to justify making this the primary consideration on where you live.

Humidity is just a fact of life in this climate. Most people eventually adjust and adapt, just like you would to snow or desert storms. You buy good central A/C, dress for the weather, and hydrate appropriately.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,279 times
Whatever differences exist are too miniscule to factor into any decision. Its a little hotter inland in the summer and a little colder inland in the winter. And by "a little" I mean 1-3 degrees max. I don't think the humidity is different at all in the greater Houston area.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,806 times
Lol... Wow.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 PM

240 posts, read 807,919 times
I used to live in Bayou Vista which is a canal community close to Galveston. I have long curly hair and can tell you that I normally looked like I put my finger in an electrical socket when living on the water. Now I live in Katy and can tell you that I have many more good hair days.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,984 times
I find it otherwise. I live NW side of Houston and often find much less humidity than south of Houston such as Clear Lake Webster areas.
How do I notice this? I drove a car without A/C for 2 years. I noticed the change in humidity level after passing I-10. It's most noticeable in the summer. Our winter is dryer most of the time. Those of you that don't notice much, try turning off your car A/C in the summer. You will notice the difference when traveling North to South of Houston and vice versa. More humidity makes you feel hotter too. My brother used to live in NW with us and he complained the humidity in Clear Lake when he moved down there to be close to work. So, I'm not alone with this folks. I have friends that notice this too.

Thus, North and South of Houston areas make a difference but not so much if you go out to Katy.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,393 times
Once you're beyond Houston inner city, when traveling north or westerly you begin to take on elevation. You might notice the Addicks and Barker reservoirs, north and south of I-10 on the west side. These were constructed as flood control of rain water from further west flowing downhill.

More elevation, less humidity

http://www.addicksandbarker.info/
Quote:
In response to devastating floods that occurred in Houston in 1929 and 1935, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Galveston District began construction of Addicks and Barker Dams in what was then undeveloped areas in far west Harris and east Fort Bend counties to prevent the loss of life and property and provide flood damage reduction along Buffalo Bayou downstream of the reservoirs and through the center of the City of Houston. Construction of the Addicks and Barker structures were completed in 1948 and 1945 respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston