Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,709,384 times

Advertisements

Both are excellent schools and your kids will do well in either one. MHS traditionally scores higher in rankings than Stratford, but not by that much. If you’re looking for academic & SES comparisons, here's the data:

SAT scores of students in single family homes:
MHS - 1159
SHS - 1118

It’s easier to rank in the top 10% at SHS, so that may appeal to you.

2012 National Merit Scholars:
MHS - 16
SHS – 3

GT info:
I.Q. scores are used for GT admission. Scores in the 98th percentile or higher, or scores of 130 +, gets your student into the program. Parents can’t pull strings to get their student into GT, nor can they make false claims that Johnny is gifted, if your child is truly gifted he will be placed accordingly. The Highly Gifted Academy is opening in the fall of 2013. It will go up to 4th grade and will add a few grades each year to be a k-12 school, this is available to students with i.q.’s of 145 & up.

MHS GT population -13%
SHS GT population -10%

Comparing socioeconomics using the last 6 month avg home sale prices (this info is available to Realtors only):
77079 (SHS) $493,580
77024 (MHS) $1,225,980

According to home sales, the “poorest” kids at MHS would be the “richest” kids at SHS. One of the pricier SHS neighborhoods, Wilchester, had an 587k avg sale price over the last 12 mos. In one of MHS’s least expensive neighborhoods, Memorial Forest, the avg sale price was 836k. Kind of interesting data, I suppose.

My thoughts on the social scenes (I'm a parent who has lived in both zones):

MHS has really nice kids. Comfortable with their wealth, these kids are very laid back with dress/appearance…..no need for false airs. Most MHS parents are laid back too, but there’s certainly a percentage of annoyingly social elitists. I like the strong spirit of philanthropy at this school. MHS is consistently the #1 academic public high school in Houston (not including the medical/magnet schools).

SHS kids are also a nice bunch. Like MHS students, they’re a well rounded group of college bound kids. You’ll find a little more of a social climbing element with some SHS parents, I guess it’s because they have room to climb. SHS has a great theater program if your kids are into that scene. I like the neighborhood community feel at this school, many parents are SHS alum & know each other very well. The kids benefit from that. Out of district admission has just ended at SHS and for obvious reasons, parents are delighted.

Tour both schools with your student to see which one feels like a better fit. You can't go wrong either way. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,994,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
That's pretty unfair.

Some of those kids wind up at Texas State or Sam Houston.
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Jealous much? Seriously - that is about as worthless a comment as a person can post.
Clarify that jealous because that makes no sense

Some parents just know what the deal is. Some see their kids as these "gifted" and special, he she is reading at this level by 27 weeks in utero etc and in advance placement, etc send them to Kincaid and SJS believing they'll be bright shining star adults.

Then there's parents who know their kid is a slacker, realize that they spoiled them and really they already bought them the Infiniti so just send them to the regular public school, they'll go to a public university, sorority/frat it up then work for dad when they graduate.

I know a guy who knows his daughter like that. She's at some no name law school on the east coast. They spent no private school money because the girl is just spoiled and makes no effort. "I have an associate's position lined up when I get my JD and pass the TX bar" why spend the extra money? Her dad knew this and she's graduating in May. Job lined up.

The ones in Spring Branch probably do that the most. The ones in River Oaks and West U and the Loop regardless of knowing their kids are slackers or whatever have to shell out the $$$$$ for Kincaid and SJS because they're kids just...can't go to school with that many apartment living kids and/or minorities.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Both are excellent schools and your kids will do well in either one. MHS traditionally scores higher in rankings than Stratford, but not by that much. If you’re looking for academic & SES comparisons, here's the data:

SAT scores of students in single family homes:
MHS - 1159
SHS - 1118

It’s easier to rank in the top 10% at SHS, so that may appeal to you.

2012 National Merit Scholars:
MHS - 16
SHS – 3

GT info:
I.Q. scores are used for GT admission. Scores in the 98th percentile or higher, or scores of 130 +, gets your student into the program. Parents can’t pull strings to get their student into GT, nor can they make false claims that Johnny is gifted, if your child is truly gifted he will be placed accordingly. The Highly Gifted Academy is opening in the fall of 2013. It will go up to 4th grade and will add a few grades each year to be a k-12 school, this is available to students with i.q.’s of 145 & up.

MHS GT population -13%
SHS GT population -10%

Comparing socioeconomics using the last 6 month avg home sale prices (this info is available to Realtors only):
77079 (SHS) $493,580
77024 (MHS) $1,225,980

According to home sales, the “poorest” kids at MHS would be the “richest” kids at SHS. One of the pricier SHS neighborhoods, Wilchester, had an 587k avg sale price over the last 12 mos. In one of MHS’s least expensive neighborhoods, Memorial Forest, the avg sale price was 836k. Kind of interesting data, I suppose.

My thoughts on the social scenes (I'm a parent who has lived in both zones):

MHS has really nice kids. Comfortable with their wealth, these kids are very laid back with dress/appearance…..no need for false airs. Most MHS parents are laid back too, but there’s certainly a percentage of annoyingly social elitists. I like the strong spirit of philanthropy at this school. MHS is consistently the #1 academic public high school in Houston (not including the medical/magnet schools).

SHS kids are also a nice bunch. Like MHS students, they’re a well rounded group of college bound kids. You’ll find a little more of a social climbing element with some SHS parents, I guess it’s because they have room to climb. SHS has a great theater program if your kids are into that scene. I like the neighborhood community feel at this school, many parents are SHS alum & know each other very well. The kids benefit from that. Out of district admission has just ended at SHS and for obvious reasons, parents are delighted.

Tour both schools with your student to see which one feels like a better fit. You can't go wrong either way. Best of luck to you.

Errr Memorial Valley, Memorial Bend and Fonn Villas are a better comparison, as they're in COH. Memorial Forest is even more than Frostwood, because its in Bunker Hill Village. That's another 100k for the cannon sticker alone.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 AM

Lizzy brought up the Highly Gifted Academy, which is excellent info.

Here's the link
SBISD revives highly gifted academy idea - Your Houston News: News

This article states 145 IQ and up for entry,which seems more highly gifted than 130.,. Which is "darn smart," but still merely gifted learner.

I Too hope they keep it an in district program only. People being taxed within the district like to see funds stay within the district.I wonder what this will do to Cornerstone?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,574,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

Here's the link

This article states 145 IQ and up for entry,which seems more highly gifted than 130.,. Which is "darn smart," but still merely gifted learner.

I Too hope they keep it an in district program only. People being taxed within the district like to see funds stay within the district.I wonder what this will do to Cornerstone?
145 and up? Statistically speaking, there's probably only one kid per 6 classrooms or so that has an IQ of 145 or higher.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,269,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Very true.

Clarify that jealous because that makes no sense

Some parents just know what the deal is. Some see their kids as these "gifted" and special, he she is reading at this level by 27 weeks in utero etc and in advance placement, etc send them to Kincaid and SJS believing they'll be bright shining star adults.

Then there's parents who know their kid is a slacker, realize that they spoiled them and really they already bought them the Infiniti so just send them to the regular public school, they'll go to a public university, sorority/frat it up then work for dad when they graduate.

I know a guy who knows his daughter like that. She's at some no name law school on the east coast. They spent no private school money because the girl is just spoiled and makes no effort. "I have an associate's position lined up when I get my JD and pass the TX bar" why spend the extra money? Her dad knew this and she's graduating in May. Job lined up.

The ones in Spring Branch probably do that the most. The ones in River Oaks and West U and the Loop regardless of knowing their kids are slackers or whatever have to shell out the $$$$$ for Kincaid and SJS because they're kids just...can't go to school with that many apartment living kids and/or minorities.
Its clear from posts you have a serious case of class envy and jealousy - While some people may fit into that category of worthless spoiled rich kid - its by no means prevalent....if there was any doubt at all about your bias/jealousy the "go work for dad" bit put that doubt to bed.

You want to lump all rich kids into a category of undeserving, racist, elitists, not as smart, etc - but its an unfair categorization. Its clear that you have some pent up animosity for kids who have it better than you do or did....its sad really....let it go.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
145 and up? Statistically speaking, there's probably only one kid per 6 classrooms or so that has an IQ of 145 or higher.
Probably why they can afford the program. Kids with IQ's that high are just different, and don't main stream well socially with the GT kids. Personally I'm glad to see such a program implimented. There are too many districts where people can wiggle in their 120 IQ types to bog down a gifted program.My nephew is in this 145+ category, but he's also an elite athlete,which saved him socially.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM

567 posts, read 1,623,384 times
Good discussion here. We are looking into moving south of I-10. Currently we live north of Longpoint, and we have a little kid that we're planning on sending to public schools. We really have no concern about HS at this time, just elementary, but we're taking everything into consiceration.

Looks like SHS area is a little better fit for us based on what I see here.

Time to go look at other 77079 threads then.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,963,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Its clear from posts you have a serious case of class envy and jealousy - While some people may fit into that category of worthless spoiled rich kid - its by no means prevalent....if there was any doubt at all about your bias/jealousy the "go work for dad" bit put that doubt to bed.

You want to lump all rich kids into a category of undeserving, racist, elitists, not as smart, etc - but its an unfair categorization. Its clear that you have some pent up animosity for kids who have it better than you do or did....its sad really....let it go.
Seriously, I read that that wealthy parents HAVE to bypass the public school system if their kids are smart and driven. Complete BS. It's insulting to both wealthy believers in education, parents that send their kids to private school for other reasons (usually religious) and equally insults less wealthy parents that can't afford private schools because it insinuates their child will end up with poor quality education and be stuck with rich slackers. Impressive how déjà blue has managed to offend practically everybody.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,709,384 times
Quote:
Errr Memorial Valley, Memorial Bend and Fonn Villas are a better comparison, as they're in COH. Memorial Forest is even more than Frostwood, because its in Bunker Hill Village. That's another 100k for the cannon sticker alone.
I'm not sure those are a better comparison. Here are the last 6 months solds:

Fonn Villas (MHS) 601k
Memorial Bend (MHS) there were only 3 sales at lot value, now 1.5+ million dollar homes are built
Memorial Valley – methinks you made this one up, it doesn’t exist
Frostwood (MHS) 875k
Memorial Forest (MHS) – 837k
Wilchester (SHS) 583k

I might be leaving a neighborhood out (unintentionally) let me know if you think of something I'm forgetting........like that 77079 neighborhood that backs up to the Big Tex tree store, I can't think of the name.

No, Memorial Forest isn't more than Frostwood. (see above sold prices)

Re: Memorial Forest being in Bunker Hill.

Look at the NE corner of Memorial & Gessner, only half of the u-shaped Tara Dr is within the BH boundary, that encompasses about 5 houses. Technically, just 5 out of several hundred MF homes are in Bunker Hill Village.

Does the cannon sticker boost home prices? Hold your fire! (going w/ cannon theme)

No, the coveted little mustard sticker shoots blanks when it comes to boosting home values. The sold prices on Tara aren’t any higher per sq ft than non BHV homes in MF.

Quote:

Here's the link

I don't think the new school will change Cornerstone. CSA serves any i.q. student. They allow students with A's -C's to apply and they admit an equal ratio of kids from all SBISD elems, their curriculum has to accomodate a C student from the lowest preforming school. It's a Pre/AP school, but only 22% of them are GT qualified. Kind of odd stuff.

Quote:
That sounds right to me, however the SBISD GT website mentions the number of students (can't remember #'s) who are currently identified with 145+ and there are a good many. Enough to warrant the new school anyway.

Quote:
I'm glad to see such a program implimented. There are too many districts where people can wiggle in their 120 IQ types to bog down a gifted program.
I don't know about other districts, but what I like about SBISD is that they double check applicants with full scale i.q. tests to make sure only the top 2% of i.q.'s are in their GT program. I know several parents who appealed their kids GT rejection letters because they were 1-2 i.q. points from the mark, SBISD won't budge, your either make the score or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston