Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Houston is driven by socioeconomic class. End of story. Who is at the high and low ends of that class, is why we segregate.

As gentrification has started to drive the inner loop, those people are being displaced, and look for the most affordable areas to move in. Its why i dont think SW houston will ever truthfully get better. Not while cheap apartments and housing is there.

What was he supposed to do? I remember back then how openly friendly everyone was at the idea, and the human responsibility we had to Katrina victims. What most had no idea about, was just how low class and ungrateful many many many of Louisiana and New Orleans residents were. To the point, even Houstonians in that end of the spectrum were getting annoyed by them. Anyone in the mayor's position would have done the same thing. The city as a whole, would have had a "racist" reputation had he acted differently.
he trashed houston. houstonians were expecting katrina victims. he got gangbangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Like it or not, most people in Houston live among their own races. The nice thing is that when we step out of our 'bubbles' we get along fine.
You must live in fantasy land.
Just look at the map and look at how many areas look clearly diverse (lots of dots of all colors)
I bet you can't find 3 more cities in the US that have a more diverse map.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,861 times
I moved from West Houston to Southern California and was really shocked at how much more segregated out here it is. My neighbors in Bellaire, Mid-City, Sugar Land (I moved around a lot) were of every nationality and I found it much more divided by income level than ethnicity.

People out here ask me if I am surprised by how liberal and diverse LA is and I say, no, I'm from a much more diverse place. I guess it depends on what part of Houston you live in, but the westside of Houston is about 10 years ahead in terms of diversity than many other places I've lived and visited.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I moved from West Houston to Southern California and was really shocked at how much more segregated out here it is. My neighbors in Bellaire, Mid-City, Sugar Land (I moved around a lot) were of every nationality and I found it much more divided by income level than ethnicity.

People out here ask me if I am surprised by how liberal and diverse LA is and I say, no, I'm from a much more diverse place. I guess it depends on what part of Houston you live in, but the westside of Houston is about 10 years ahead in terms of diversity than many other places I've lived and visited.
That's what some people refuse to understand.
They see a group of people of the same race hanging out and they think that Houston is segregated.

Most cities in the US are so segregated that you don't need internet or maps to know where are the white, black, hispanic areas.
I lived in San Antonio, I thought it would be a very integrated diverse city.
It is a lot more segregated that Houston.

As I said before, SW = Hispanic, East = Black, North = White

Compare to Houston where you also have diversity BUT you also find pockets of all different races all over the city (you find every kind of people all over the city)

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,115 times
Gee thanks so much for the jabs & 'fantasy land' comments.
I must be crazy to think we don't live among our own race in Houston:

This study says we have a segregation problem:

Houston Region Grows More Racially/Ethnically Diverse With Small Declines in Segregation
A Joint Report Analyzing Census Data from 1990, 2000, and 2010
"Future research is needed to investigate the underlying factors contributing to the increased diversity and continual segregation and conclude the best approaches for Houston to be able to lead the nation in the transition to a fully inclusive, unified multiracial/multiethnic region. How Houston handles this transition will go far in shaping the vitality of its future."
http://kinder.rice.edu/uploadedFiles...rse%202-13.pdf
Another map showing Houston segregation (this one is black/white only):

red is less than 3% black - black is more than 50% black:

ACS Segregation Data II | Texas housers

Maybe Houston is ahead of other cities in terms of integration, I don't know, but clearly we have enough segregation going on to merit discussion. However, this subject is such a hot button that some are jabbing at posters with opposing viewpoints & that's why I'm out. Have fun.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkmac View Post
Yep, it is just like high school all over again..where Hispanics sit with Hispanics....Asian people sit with Asian..White sit with white.... Black sit with black..in high school cafeteria. But it is deeper than that... interracial dating can be such a pain too... still get stink eyes here and there.

Funny thing... when when I ask some blacks about what it means as interracial.... apparently, a lot of them think it is simply dating white.. as if dating Hispanics / Asian are not considered as interracial enough.

If you want less segregation, try a Democratic states.. it is less problematic, but situation is just about the same. This is coming from my 10 years of living in Michigan and Washington states.
Well, they are right half the time, because Hispanic is not a race. You need to be more specific.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,622 times
Quote:
Gee thanks so much for the jabs & 'fantasy land' comments.
I must be crazy to think we don't live among our own race in Houston:

This study says we have a segregation problem:

Houston Region Grows More Racially/Ethnically Diverse With Small Declines in Segregation
A Joint Report Analyzing Census Data from 1990, 2000, and 2010
"Future research is needed to investigate the underlying factors contributing to the increased diversity and continual segregation and conclude the best approaches for Houston to be able to lead the nation in the transition to a fully inclusive, unified multiracial/multiethnic region. How Houston handles this transition will go far in shaping the vitality of its future."
http://kinder.rice.edu/uploadedFiles...rse%202-13.pdf
Another map showing Houston segregation (this one is black/white only):

red is less than 3% black - black is more than 50% black:

ACS Segregation Data II | Texas housers

Maybe Houston is ahead of other cities in terms of integration, I don't know, but clearly we have enough segregation going on to merit discussion. However, this subject is such a hot button that some are jabbing at posters with opposing viewpoints & that's why I'm out. Have fun.
Lizzy, can you respond to my post please? I made some valid points and would like to hear your opinion on them. Nobody is throwing jabs here. If you want to have an honest discussion, let's have one.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:

Well you're making this more of an issue that it needs to be. You're arguing one of Houston's positive points. Segregation is NOT an issue in Houston. Does segregation exist here?? Yes, but it can be and is much worse in the majority of this country outside of Houston.

Segregation is not an argument I would use against Houston. And most people would agree.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
That was pretty useless. Did Rice's Urban Research Dept get the funding it was looking for? Or relegated to the dust bin of irrelevance.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
that's the country that we live in, take a few hours and read about Jim Crow.

What do you want people to do?
Sell their house and move to a place where they can have neighbors of each race?
Are you gonna be the first one to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston