Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:52 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,906,663 times

Advertisements

What is the cultural diversity like in the Houston (and surrounding suburbs?). We are looking at a possible move and to be honest with you, my husband and I (an east coaster and an Eastern European) have some negative assumptions that are attached to Texas, but are trying to break

I'm sure there are blacks, whites, latinos like everywhere else, but are there jews, muslims and people of other cultural backgrounds? Or are they a vast minority?
Sorry for my ignorance, but it is George Bush's home state, and I can't see us fitting in in a conservative republican Christian state, which is what many perceive Texas as being. My intention is not to offend everyone, however I am interested in how people living in Texas, particularly Houston area, perceive their state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 11:07 AM

38 posts, read 180,029 times
In my area (Cinco Ranch/Seven Meadows), we have great diversity. I am a Taiwanese American myself and I appreciate seeing people from China, India, Vietnam and yes some from Eastern Europe moving to our communities everyday.

Houston is a big international city and the most residents are very kind to other races. You should feel welcome here.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:13 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,836,959 times
Houston is a very international city. This includes just about every ethnic category you can think of. There are parts of the city that are more diverse than others, but overall it is very mixed.

In fact, I think you will find more diversity within areas than a lot of northern places where different groups tend to settle in sort of separate neighborhoods/communities.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:10 PM

67 posts, read 224,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but it is George Bush's home state, and I can't see us fitting in in a conservative republican Christian state, which is what many perceive Texas as being. My intention is not to offend everyone, however I am interested in how people living in Texas, particularly Houston area, perceive their state.
Given that 75% of all residents in the United States consider themselves "Christian", you might find it difficult to find a place without Christians, or a Christian majority. Texas is not unique in this way. With the exception of New York maybe.

Oh, and the last time I checked GWB was born in New Haven.....that would be Connecticut, not Texas. He also went to Yale and Harvard U. Neither of these institutions of "higher learning" are in Texas, either. Neither is Andover. Obviously, as with many others, you bought the whole Texas cowboy bit hook, line and sinker.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:41 PM

30 posts, read 93,161 times
Default Don't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
What is the cultural diversity like in the Houston (and surrounding suburbs?). We are looking at a possible move and to be honest with you, my husband and I (an east coaster and an Eastern European) have some negative assumptions that are attached to Texas, but are trying to break

I'm sure there are blacks, whites, latinos like everywhere else, but are there jews, muslims and people of other cultural backgrounds? Or are they a vast minority?
Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that we chose to move to the Woodlands (just north of Houston) and we are not Christians and feel right at home. We're Jewish and from NYC. Does that help?

Old 11-25-2007, 06:44 PM

17 posts, read 70,373 times
You would be surprised at the diversity of the folks in Houston. Houston can be the Texas you picture; however, it is more robust and diverse than that. It is very Latin based due to proximity but it has all the cultures of the world thanks in part to NASA, oil & gas, and TX Medical Center. Walk around the Galleria mall on any given weekend and you can hear at least 20 different languages. Various cultures amass in parts of the city, but are spread out for the most part. When you are lonely for home, you should be able to find your comfort zone. Don't let preconceived notions ruin a chance at a truly diverse city!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:46 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,689,187 times
It's amazing to me how many seemingly educated people have a blind spot when it comes to Texas and the South, relying instead on stereotypes and their preconceived notions. If I believed everything I heard or saw on TV...

Not everyone in Texas, a state of almost 25,000,000 people, is conservative, Republican, or Christian. I'm neither of those things, but I don't have a problem with people who are because I actually believe in true diversity.

FWIW, next to Austin (46%), Houston (50.38%) is the least religious major city in Texas, according to Sperling's Best Places. The national average is 50.03%.

Last edited by Hoosier; 11-26-2007 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: trying to be helpful

Old 11-26-2007, 12:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,416,066 times
Amen, houstoner. I never did understand that, but my guess is the media doesn't help. For instance, did you notice that when TS Allison went through, the national media had to find and interview every toothless nutria-eating wonder living in a trailer along the Trinity River? Man! I can remember thinking, people must think we are positively uncivilized down here.

Everyone is different here. I think you will be in for a big surprise, no matter what your expectations are.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 PM

241 posts, read 1,178,593 times
I went to high school in Sugar Land and remember there being over 30 flags hanging in the main hallway representing all the different ethnicities that attended our school. I know it is even more mixed now than it was six years ago.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:57 PM

107 posts, read 402,855 times
I lived in the Sharpstown area for 4+ years (2000-2004.) There is a major grocery store in that area where you will not hear English spoken. There is a mosque about 1-2 miles away from that store. The area boasts Hispanic immigrants from not just Mexico but Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Panama. There is also a small Jamaican influence in the neighborhood.

Down in the Missouri City/Sugar Land area (and stretching north along Beltway 8) there is a significant South Asian community. The farther you get north, the ethnicity changes into Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese.

East coast perceptions of the South are mind bogglingly ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston